Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My theater is pulling the 3D after tomorrow...

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 5:38pm

Post #1 of 9 (570 views)
Shortcut
My theater is pulling the 3D after tomorrow... Can't Post

Like last year, the only theater in my town is pulling the 3D after only a week in the cinema. I think this really hurts the box office. I had three people in my family who were going to go see it on Xmas Eve and now none of them are going because it's only showing in 2D.

smtfhw
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 5:43pm

Post #2 of 9 (307 views)
Shortcut
Whereas.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I refuse to see it in 3D.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 5:45pm

Post #3 of 9 (255 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear that [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I have to say 2D would be my least favorite format but I would still go. After all, all of the LOTR films were in 2D and they are just fantastic so..encourage them to go!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 5:46pm

Post #4 of 9 (269 views)
Shortcut
Talk your family into it re the performances [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously. Re the pace of the film and the performances, this should not be missed, IMO!, I may love the HFR 3D but special effects are no replacement for ability, ever.

Plus you DO have all these armies on screen, 2D or 3D. Dol Guldur, Smaug - there's nothing else playing IMO that will come close.

As for your theater - *meh*. But even in my theater-saturated region, you can never tell what management will do, or why. Last year I was surprised that DOS was held at the IMAX as long as it was, and then it got replaced with Jack Ryan, which I guess sank without a ripple.Unimpressed

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 6:24pm

Post #5 of 9 (256 views)
Shortcut
What was interesting for me to note was that I was not that aware [In reply to] Can't Post

of the 3D in this film. It was in the background of my experience. Maybe the intensity took over my viewing and the visuals were just part of the background. There were a few scenes that stood out....Thorin holding Orcrist gave the blade lateral depth projection. But overall, I will have to pay more attention the 2nd time around. I saw it in HFR Real3D and thought it looked very good.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 7:22pm

Post #6 of 9 (204 views)
Shortcut
HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

My theater didn't even have HFR this year, probably because they remodeled. That sucks because I really liked it and only got to see the Hobbit movies in that format.

Anyway, I will definitely still go again even if it's just in 2D.

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 9:59pm

Post #7 of 9 (139 views)
Shortcut
Never see 24 fps 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My theater didn't even have HFR this year, probably because they remodeled. That sucks because I really liked it and only got to see the Hobbit movies in that format.

Anyway, I will definitely still go again even if it's just in 2D.

That’s good. You never want to see the 3D@24 fps version: it is really bad. Far too dark, horrible contrast, warped colors.

I’ve seen the film every which way, and I’m quite sure of this.

I’ve even seen the 2D@48 FPS. That one ended up being almost a stop too bright, which again blew out the colors, but in the other direction. This is fixable, however, with another set of glasses.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

glor
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 11:45pm

Post #8 of 9 (119 views)
Shortcut
That is not the film, it is the cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw DOS in HFR in two different cinemas, the first was a joy, pin sharp, balanced colour and contrast etc. My second in a different theatre was not so pleasant it was off, colour was over saturated, I couldn't tell if it was HFR it wasn't clear enough.

Films have to be calibrated even in digital, if you go to a cinema that doesn't make the effort for its customers, then you get an oddly coloured, out of focus film.

My brother in law is a massive film buff and the cinema I saw my second DOS at, the unpleasant viewing, was one he told me he avoids, due to their sloppy calibration

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2014, 4:54am

Post #9 of 9 (80 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen a noticeable difference in the look of the HFR in two of my local theaters also. A good projectionist (if that title still applies) makes a big difference.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.