The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So much for a 'Winter Battle'...

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 5:28pm

Post #1 of 8 (1000 views)
Shortcut
So much for a 'Winter Battle'... Can't Post

Currently sat reading the recent Chronicles Book and noticed the majority of the concept art for the battle is in a very snowy and icy environment and it's made me realise, one of the aspects of the battle I was most looking forward to, was the fact that it was winter and there was the snow and ice factor at play. It would have looked very visually different to how any other battle we'd previously seen looked. So we get to the battle and the only place that is frozen is Ravenhill. Dale and the plain before Erebor are just bog-standard battlefields. Even the hill that Thorin see's Bold army descending from is snow free, even though it is even more elevated than the frozen lake he is standing on!

I just feel like PJ and Co missed an opportunity to show a much different landscape for a battle than we'd seen before plus there seems to be some dodgy weather conditions going on around the Lonely Mountain with Ravenhill literally being just a small hill and yet is transformed into a winter wonderland compared to Dale and Erebor just a little way below.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 5:56pm

Post #2 of 8 (505 views)
Shortcut
The trilogy of missed upportunities [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping for this aswell

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

tiamy
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 8 (458 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they don't have icy breaths (or whatever you call that smoke-like thing that comes out of your mouth) in any of those movies. Even in Caradras. I don't think they bother adding it thru CGI

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 6:10pm

Post #4 of 8 (407 views)
Shortcut
Weird [In reply to] Can't Post

Really strange. On one hand, there seems to be so much care, effort and time put into these films. On the other, it seems like a total mess, like the writing crew just gave up and shot an unfinished script.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 6:26pm

Post #5 of 8 (392 views)
Shortcut
Who knows, it could have been a day above freezing and not every [In reply to] Can't Post

winter scene has snow. Right now in the Chicago area there is no snow on the ground and it is definitely winter. The lack of breath condensation is not a big point.

Annatar598
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 7:01pm

Post #6 of 8 (397 views)
Shortcut
It was a winter battle... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just not a totally snowy one like Empire Strikes Back.

I don't see how this is a missed opportunity? I'm sure we could all construct a massive document of all the missed opportunities. It seems like everyone knows how to do a better movie.

Concept art is concept. All of the LOTR concept art looked better than the movie itself just as the Hobbit does.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 8:50am

Post #7 of 8 (150 views)
Shortcut
Breath condensation... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is a function of both temperature and humidity. If it is very humid, you'll see "steam" while it's well above freezing, but if it's very dry you won't see it even when it's very cold.

It would have been more realistic if they had added it some, though.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 2:53pm

Post #8 of 8 (117 views)
Shortcut
And things looked pretty dry, not unusual in winter. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think from a CGI perspective, if one does it all have to do it so soon you have clouds of breath all over the screen.

http://www.nydailynews.com/...e-article-1.1566343#

http://retro.cincinnati.com/...0&keepRatio=True

Times 50,000

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.