Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What happens to the Elvish army? Did they all die?

Aranarth
The Shire

Dec 22 2014, 5:11pm

Post #1 of 8 (1030 views)
Shortcut
What happens to the Elvish army? Did they all die? Can't Post

Durring the Battle of the Five Armies film, the Good Armies last forever, all except the elves. The dwarves and men are still in good number ( far less than the beginning), but they are still a force to be reckoned with. But when Thranduil recalls his men we only see a maximum of 30. Is he leaving the rest? Remember the elves, at the beginning took up most of the battle field.
PS. We see elves fighting as Bilbo turns invisible and runs towards Ravin top.

(This post was edited by Aranarth on Dec 22 2014, 5:13pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 5:14pm

Post #2 of 8 (627 views)
Shortcut
I shouldn't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much doubt that they all die (something which appeared to happen at Helm's Deep in TTT and I always found very odd and inexplicable, given that humans did survive). We just don't see many of them at that point (or Dain's Dwarves for that matter).

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Dec 22 2014, 5:15pm)

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 5:35pm

Post #3 of 8 (592 views)
Shortcut
Elves evaporate after battles... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like at Helm's Deep. Wink

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 5:50pm

Post #4 of 8 (582 views)
Shortcut
If I remember correctly... [In reply to] Can't Post

He only recalled one company of elves, that's all. So I would surmise that the 30 elves or so wasn't all of them left.

Not sure about what happened to the rest of the elves, since once the film begins to cut to Ravenhill not much of the rest of the battle below is shown. Maybe there will be more showing the elves in the EE? Although I would be okay if that wasn't the case.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 7:25pm

Post #5 of 8 (472 views)
Shortcut
If I recall, there were scattered units fighting all over the field. [In reply to] Can't Post

Those in Dale may not be all of them. I understand his reluctance at losing troops as elvish reproduction rates are extremely small, so any losses set back manpower for generations. In fact, the smallish number elves left in ME compared to earlier times reflects both those who have left for Valinor, and I think more impactful, war losses. But, because he still has a fighting force in the LOTR days, he could not have lost the army (but of course, there were many casualties).

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 8:36pm

Post #6 of 8 (423 views)
Shortcut
lol ... horses too [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like at the Black Gate Laugh.

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 23 2014, 3:56am

Post #7 of 8 (292 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they are like spun sugar in the rain ;D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 10:57am

Post #8 of 8 (280 views)
Shortcut
Actually in Helm's Deep they do all die... [In reply to] Can't Post

Helm's Deep has that semi-circle (filled with men) and that long bridge (filled with elves). When the Uruk Hai blow up the wall they swarm in and take out all of the elves, which is why they retreat, then the Uruks start battering their way into the innermost circle to finish off the men. The elves basically die defending the men, which is why Haldir's slo-mo death is such a horrible moment.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.