So what happens to Tauriel now? Can't Post

Any thoughts?

Laineth
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 3:07am

Post #2 of 19 (757 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think she returns to Mirkwood. It's a great parallel to Thranduil, and they end understanding each other.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2014, 3:24am

Post #3 of 19 (658 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I think too. His understanding/sympathy that her feelings for Kili were "real" make me believe he would rescind his decision to banish her. And she, on her part, will I think be satisfied to return because Thranduil will now be taking some part in the greater struggle.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 3:30am

Post #4 of 19 (652 views)
Shortcut
Re: So what happens to Tauriel now? [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it's left ambiguous by Peter and Co., I have to agree that Thranduil likely rescinded his banishment and allowed her to return to Mirkwood with him.

On a semi-related note, I could easily see Thranduil sending her to find Legolas at some point, since The Fellowship of the Ring implies that he (Legolas) was sent by Thranduil to Rivendell and the Council as an official Emissary, meaning that, at some point, he (Legolas) would need to have returned home in order for Thranduil to officially name him in that capacity.

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 4:08am

Post #5 of 19 (584 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Any thoughts?

I think Thranduil rescinds his banishment, because he genuinely feels for her pain and they can related to each other on that level but I don't think she'd return to the guards necessarily.

Though her reasons were true, she did pull an arrow on him in front of everyone. I think he could rescind her banishment without much issue but I think it could be problematic to allow her back to her old position, if she'd even want it.

I don't think she'd fade, because I think she'd want to honor Kili's sacrifice by living. So if she wasn't a guard she could become a contact between the Woodland Realm and the dwarves and men who live in proximity to Erebor.(I can't remember is that considered the north ? so the the lands to the north of Mirkwood)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2014, 4:13am

Post #6 of 19 (590 views)
Shortcut
Well, let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think she goes home to Mirkwood, and continues being a captain of the guard, all the more so now that she's had experience of war and what will happen if the Darkness grows. I imagine there are still plenty of spiders to clear out, plus Sauron being driven out isn't the last of Dol Guldur, nor of fighting in those lands. They were attacked during the War of the Ring as well, and I can imagine Tauriel fighting in it.

From the Tale of Years:

2941 The events recounted in The Hobbit

2942 Bilbo returns home with the Ring. Sauron returns in secret to Mordor

2944 Bard rebuilds Dale and becomes King. Gollum starts searching for the Ring.

2951 Sauron declares himself in Mordor. He sends three Nazgul to occupy Dol Guldur.

3009 Aragorn and Gandalf begin the hunt for Gollum along the Anduin from Mirkwood and Rhovanion to the borders of Mordor.

3017 Gollum is released from Mordor and is captured by Aragorn in the Dead Marshes and taken to Thranduil in Mirkwood.

3018 (June) Sauron attacks Osgiliath. Thranduil is attacked and Gollum escapes.

3019 (March 15) Battle of the Pelennor. Thranduil repulses the forces of Dol Guldur. (Lorien also suffers repeated assaults.)
(March 17) Battle of Dale. King Brand and King Dain Ironfoot fall. Dwarves and men besieged in Erebor.
(March 25) Fall of Sauron. Ring destroyed

"In the North also there had been war and evil. The realm of Thranduil was invaded, and there was long battle under the trees and great ruin of fire; but in the end Thranduil had the victory. And on the day of the New Year of the Elves, Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest; and they renamed Mirkwood Eryn Lasgalen, The Wood of Greenleaves. Thranduil took all the northern region as far as the mountains that rise in the forest for his realm; and Celeborn took all the southern wood below the Narrows, and named it East Lorien; all the wide forest between was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen."

There's more about the attacks on Lorien and also the Battle of Dale in Appendix B also. If you haven't read it lately, I recommend it!

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 4:55am

Post #7 of 19 (530 views)
Shortcut
What happens to Tauriel? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that Thranduil likely rescinded her banishment, especially since his son decided to leave. The big question is will she go back to Murkwood? She may decide to wander herself, or go to the West as so many speculated. Even if she does go back, she will never be the same. Honestly, I think she'll leave.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 4:56am

Post #8 of 19 (607 views)
Shortcut
In a recent interview, [In reply to] Can't Post

...Evangeline Lilly says that she believes Tauriel returns to Mirkwood and her position as Captain of the Guards.

http://m.startribune.com/...ection=entertainment

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 4:56am

Post #9 of 19 (557 views)
Shortcut
I believe she returns to Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's heart has softened and he genuinely cares for her. But I also think he would welcome her back so Legolas might come back. A step toward reconciliation.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 5:31am

Post #10 of 19 (511 views)
Shortcut
Bombyzz..."Fantasty Theory"? [In reply to] Can't Post

@ the Funeral she talks to Balin or Bofur & Says?

T: "I'd like to Return this to Kili's Mother" (showing the Rune Stone)

Bor B: "Well, it a Long way to Ered Luin..."

T: "That Matter's not..."

Bor B:" Do you know the WAY?"

T: "Please, Draw me a Map."

B or B : "Well, you would be doing us a Great Service,
since you could TELL our Kin,
That it is Safe to Return to Erebor..?"

T: "...I'd like that."

B or B: "How, would get There?"

T: " I'll go with Legolas @ Least until we Cross the Misty Mountains,
& Together, we want to vist Visit Elrond in Rivendell,
.. then I'll ride like the Wind on the Great East Road"

B or B: "LET IT BE, Done"

@Least that is what bomby
would LOVE to see.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Dec 22 2014, 5:32am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 7:16am

Post #11 of 19 (450 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'd like that too... [In reply to] Can't Post

or she would decide to keep the Rune Sone for herself, as a memory of him...Heart

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 7:51am

Post #12 of 19 (431 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

she gave it back to him when she wept over his body (stuck it back in his stiff hand). I don't think she kept it- I think she allowed it to be buried with him.

When great warriors fall in battle, like Boromir did at Amon Hen, they are often buried with their weapons and such (like Boromir's split horn) to honor their valour in death. In that type of mindset, a warrior's sword/weapon is a symbol of their valour (like Beleg strongbow was buried with his bow when he died in the Sil).

But for Tauriel, that stone, and Kili's promise (that he would never keep), was just as important as a blade to her- it spoke of his courage and innocence. So she felt fit to give the stone back to honor that courage.

He made a promise to her, and to his mother- and he could not keep either. Promises buried, just like he was.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 10:59am

Post #13 of 19 (446 views)
Shortcut
She might be the one responsible for Gollums escape? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Escaped?" cried Aragorn. "That is ill news indeed. We shall all rue it bitterly, I fear. How came the folk of Thranduil to fail in their trust?" "Not through lack of watchfulness," said Legolas; "but perhaps through over-kindliness. And we fear that the prisoner had aid from others, and that more is known of our doings than we could wish. We guarded this creature day and night, at Gandalf's bidding, much though we wearied of the task. But Gandalf bade us hope still for his cure, and we had not the heart to keep him ever in dungeons under the earth, where he would fall back into his old black thoughts"

In my personal canon this still takes place. Legolas was sent to find Aragorn... which he did. Perhaps he even helped him on his hunt for Gollum and later brought him to the Woodland Realm and stayed there. If Tauriel returned to Thranduils palace after the BOTFA as the leader of the guards it would have been her job to guard Gollum, wouldn't it? "Perhaps through over-kindliness"... that sounds like something Tauriel would describe very well since the Woodelves didn't appear as overly kind guys to me except for her. Perhaps she was the one who let Gollum leave the prisons from day to day to feel the fresh air?

"In the days of fair weather we led Gollum through the woods; and there was a high tree standing alone far from the others which he liked to climb. Often we let him mount to the highest branches, until he felt the free wind; but we set a guard at the tree's foot. One day he refused to come down, and the guards had no mind to climb after him: he had learned the trick of clinging to boughs with his feet as well as with his hands; so they sat by the tree far into the night. It was that very night of summer, yet moonless and starless, that Orcs came on us at unawares. [..]

So... perhaps Tauriel is this one guard who felt pity with Gollum and gave him more freedom than she should have? Although this let to his escape this also indirectly let to the destruction of the One Ring. Again... just like Bilbos pity for Gollum before. As a reaction to that Legolas was sent to Rivendell to report of this matter. Of course this is only my personal fan fiction but it works.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 11:03am

Post #14 of 19 (441 views)
Shortcut
It will be in E.E. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 12:40pm

Post #15 of 19 (373 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson's Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

The Tale of Years would have to be modified a bit to encompass the Peter Jackson films.

2940 The Quest of Erebor and the White Council attacks Dol Guldur. Sauron is driven from southern Mirkwood and returns to Mordor.

2941 Bilbo returns home with the Ring.

3000 Bilbo celebrates his elventy-first birthday and leaves the Shire for Rivendell.

3001 Frodo takes the One Ring to Rivendell and accepts the burden of taking the Ring to Mordor.

3002 (March 15) Battle of the Pelennor. Thranduil repulses the forces of Dol Guldur. (Lorien also suffers repeated assaults.)
(March 17) Battle of Dale. King Brand and King Dain Ironfoot fall. Dwarves and men besieged in Erebor.
(March 25) Fall of Sauron. Ring destroyed

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 2:02pm

Post #16 of 19 (325 views)
Shortcut
Quite right! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I've posted several times on TORn that I like to think she was one of the guards slain when Gollum escapes...well, would explain her "absence" from LotR nicely for those that need it! Angelic

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 3:25pm

Post #17 of 19 (351 views)
Shortcut
I think what they should do is... [In reply to] Can't Post

have her leave Mirkwood, and go to Lothlorien to study under Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn, and then she an Arwen later on became BFF and have elf adventures.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 6:55pm

Post #18 of 19 (267 views)
Shortcut
stone's message [In reply to] Can't Post

But for Tauriel, that stone, and Kili's promise (that he would never keep), was just as important as a blade to her- it spoke of his courage and innocence. So she felt fit to give the stone back to honor that courage.

He made a promise to her, and to his mother- and he could not keep either. Promises buried, just like he was.

Since the runes mean "return to me", I think the keeper of the promise changes if the stone is handed over to someone else. When Kili got it from her mother, she wished for him to return home safe. But when Kili later on gave the stone to Tauriel, again with the message "return to me", and she accepted the stone, it meant that Tauriel promised to return to Kili. And she did.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 7:08pm

Post #19 of 19 (252 views)
Shortcut
That hadn't occurred to me before [In reply to] Can't Post

But yes, I agree. Thanks for pointing it out.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.