Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How much more battle footage will we see in the EE ?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 1:12am

Post #1 of 19 (1377 views)
Shortcut
How much more battle footage will we see in the EE ? Can't Post

I thought there should have been more eagles wrecking havoc on the orcs at the end, and of course more Beorn.

The flames of war are upon you..

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 1:31am

Post #2 of 19 (884 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

we definitely see more. I think we need to see the Gundabad forces defeated.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 1:32am

Post #3 of 19 (905 views)
Shortcut
I hope for a lot more as there are some truncated scenes and missing scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe as discussed before, there are missing scenes even from the official trailer that did not make the movie

Others:
Legolas charges after Bolg.....then what?
Tauriel...what becomes of her? Still banished to wander
ME as a lone elf? Or accepted back by Thranduil (which I think would make sense after the emotional scene).
Beorn....more rampaging war mayhem.
How did the orcs get routed from Dale...show it
To name a few.....

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 1:48am

Post #4 of 19 (856 views)
Shortcut
More Beorn and especially more Thranduil! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you had blinked you'd have missed Beorn's battle scene. I'd like to see a bit more of him and I'd like to see more of Bilbo's return journey and see him get or be given that bear shaped chess piece we see in Old Bilbo's trunk in the AUJ prologue.

As for other battle scenes I'd of course LOVE to see more Thranduil fighting! I thought from what we'd seen in behind the scenes stuff, he'd have at least two or three big fights but there was one excessively fabulous one that came after he was thrown from Bubba the War Elk.

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet their songs repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

But in despair I bowed my head
There is no peace on earth, I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Then rang the bells more loud and deep,
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."
~Casting Crowns "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

Thrain II
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 2:15am

Post #5 of 19 (809 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

each of the dwarves from the company will have their moment, more Beorn and eagles turning the tide, and maybe more Dain...

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 2:28am

Post #6 of 19 (828 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought there should have been more eagles wrecking havoc on the orcs at the end, and of course more Beorn.

Wonder if we will get to see that chariot sequence from the trailer? I'm just not sure how that would fit into the films now.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 2:36am

Post #7 of 19 (794 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i was thinking the same thing on my third viewing today [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure how the chariot scene worked in the original cut.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 2:42am

Post #8 of 19 (838 views)
Shortcut
The Chariot Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that the Chariot scene was designed to get Thorin, Dwalin, Fili, and Kili at least part of the way to Ravenhill, so they may in fact decide to reinsert it into the film in place of the way in which they currently get there (which is very much an option).

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 3:12am

Post #9 of 19 (783 views)
Shortcut
Could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

but unless I missed him do not recall Thorin being on the chariot. The four on the chariot were Fili, Kili, Dwalin, and Balin.

I'm probably way off, but it's possible this scene could take place before the battle, and even before Bilbo gives the Arkenstone to Bard and Thranduil. It maybe Fili, Kili, Dwalin, and Balin going yo Dale to try an negotiate with Thranduil and Bard. But again, I could be way off.

In Reply To
I believe that the Chariot scene was designed to get Thorin, Dwalin, Fili, and Kili at least part of the way to Ravenhill, so they may in fact decide to reinsert it into the film in place of the way in which they currently get there (which is very much an option).

Unsure

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 3:25am

Post #10 of 19 (771 views)
Shortcut
To be honest, I'd rather not see much more [In reply to] Can't Post

More action-man stuff is pretty pointless compared with the character stuff that I want to see, which needs to be shown to tie up the plot.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 5:26am

Post #11 of 19 (729 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget Saruman! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Leave Sauron to me." Then we never see him again.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 5:29am

Post #12 of 19 (709 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, another scene from the trailer I forgot about that will be in the EE. [In reply to] Can't Post

When does that chase scene take place? I am thinking it has to be during the Ravenshill investigation but maybe not. Ah, but as noted, Balin was not there.....hmmm. When was he ever out of Erebor other than fighting?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 22 2014, 5:30am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 5:29am

Post #13 of 19 (707 views)
Shortcut
i wouldn't hold your breath [In reply to] Can't Post

i believe that line was meant for the events in LOTR's. When i first watched the film i was hoping for Saruman tracking down sauron but this is very doubtful.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 6:07am

Post #14 of 19 (666 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly seemed there was cut Saruman material based on last year's Christmas message from Christopher Lee regarding the third film.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 6:27am

Post #15 of 19 (681 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee had a pretty good scene in this film [In reply to] Can't Post

or did i miss something?

Dipling
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 7:27am

Post #16 of 19 (647 views)
Shortcut
Dwarfs... [In reply to] Can't Post

Each dwarf needs a battle hero moment.

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 7:54am

Post #17 of 19 (649 views)
Shortcut
I want to see the Orc's "battle beasts" in action... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to a PJ interview in Empire Magazine there were supposed to be "panzer tank" creatures (different from trolls) in the orc armies, and according to the Chronicles book, there were also supposed to be war-apes, serpents, moles and ferrets fighting for the orcs.

I would also like some sort of introduction or explanation to the ogres seen in Dale (we see them on three occasions: one leading the catapult trolls, one attacking Bard's children and one attacking Alfrid).

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 11:05am

Post #18 of 19 (611 views)
Shortcut
There will be a lot more. [In reply to] Can't Post

20 minutes at least

DjU
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 5:52pm

Post #19 of 19 (494 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It doesn't even have to be in put back 'in the place' of the scene that is already there but just merely a bit before the Ram-back the charge of Thorin, Dwalin, Fili & Kili it with maybe a minor tweak somewhere.

The way it is described in the Chronicles book is that they would commandeer one of Dain's chariots and use it to get along part of the frozen river and then when they got closer to Ravenhill that they would then change to Ram-back to scale the rocks. (As seen in the film)

The final film shows Thorin and Co charge out of Erebor, then after a bit Thorin has a conversation with Dain, and then he realises they need to attack Azog - then suddenly 4 of them are on Ram-back charging a rank of Orcs.

The Chariot scene looks like it would just come in-between the Charge out of Erebor and the smaller Charge to Ravenhill - the only question then remains is how Thorin gets to the others in the Chariot scene. The two option seem to be a) he see they have already commandeered a Chariot and realise he can use it to their advantage or b) he tells them commandeer a chariot and he then meets up with them for that last charge.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.