The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Middle-Earth Marathon realisation

gkgyver
Bree

Dec 21 2014, 11:27pm

Post #1 of 25 (988 views)
Shortcut
Middle-Earth Marathon realisation Can't Post

Our theatre did a 6 movie marathon last Friday/Saturday, with the Hobbit first, and then LotR.

I can't even begin to tell you how much more depth the Hobbit, especially AUJ and BOTFA gives LotR, especially Fellowship, and also Return of the King. After the outstanding performances of Martin Freeman, Ken Stott and others, the scenes of Bilbo, the scene in Balin's Tomb, and much in between, feels more alive, richer, even more emotional. And despite the fact that I hated Thranduil telling Legolas to go find Arathorn's son when I read reviews mentioning it, and not being thrilled when I watched the film for the first time: when Legolas stands up in the council of Elrond, and tells Boromir who Aragorn is, it suddenly made sense. Not in the Tolkien way, mind you, but in a movie way, and I'm wise enough to separate the two, ever since watching LotR.

In the context of the Hobbit, the scenes with Gandalf and Bilbo in Fellowship, or between Bilbo and Frodo, have so much more meaning, and the Grey Havens are twice as heartbreaking. I know some will disagree here, but as a bridge between two trilogies, BOTFA is brilliant, and I do think, even though the films do have some fat, that Jackson pulled off as perfect a prequel story as there could be. And I'm sure it will be even better once we have the extended BOTFA.

I consider it a true privilege to have witnessed these six films as they unfolded and were released into the world.

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 11:32pm

Post #2 of 25 (621 views)
Shortcut
6 [In reply to] Can't Post

how were you able to sit through 8+hours or film? how long were the breaks inbetween?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 11:32pm

Post #3 of 25 (572 views)
Shortcut
Nice!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's great you got to see all six like that and I have long suspected it would be the case that The Hobbit films would actually enhance the LOTR films. I'm glad you shared that with us because this has been my feeling.

I would think too the entire Moria sequence with Balin's tomb but also with Gandalf admonishing Frodo about death and judgment and the pity of Bilbo will be totally moving.

On that note I think one of the better moves Jackson did with the material was move that conversation by Gandalf to that point in the Mines of Moria rather than have it said as it was in the book back in the Shire before they left. It's so much more poignant in the movie there.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

gkgyver
Bree

Dec 21 2014, 11:45pm

Post #4 of 25 (604 views)
Shortcut
It was rather cool [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a short break of 10 minutes or so between AUJ and DoS, a longer break, like 25 minutes (including a quiz contest) between DoS and BOTFA, and then about 20 minutes between BOTFA and FotR, and TTT. Then a bit more after TTT, for breakfast, and then RotK.

It went all through the night, and they set up their cocktail bar with snacks and coffee specifically for the marathon audience, all through the night, and breakfast at 8 o'clock in the morning, after TTT. They also had a coffee flat rate, and put a pillow on each seat for the audience.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 11:48pm

Post #5 of 25 (563 views)
Shortcut
Blimey! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was certainly a marathon. It would probably be good to see the EEs that way. Perhaps cinemas could provide beds so that you could lie back and view the films in complete comfort.Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 12:07am

Post #6 of 25 (501 views)
Shortcut
Bomby is SSOoo..Happy for you! CHEERS Gaffer!/// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 12:11am

Post #7 of 25 (558 views)
Shortcut
I still can't see these films as a chronological six film series... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as much as PJ and Co. want me to. The tonal and visual differences between the trilogies are too great IMO. And in terms of chronology, the later films have too many callbacks that give them away as "prequels" and not first chapters, so to speak.

BUT... what I can say is that I view them as wonderful companion pieces. They compliment each other nicely, and indeed do feed quite well into one another. I doubt future viewings of LotR will ever be quite the same. But I still prefer to view these as two trilogies intrinsically linked but unquestionably different.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2014, 12:11am

Post #8 of 25 (557 views)
Shortcut
I found the Black Riders were scarier in FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

now that I've seen them in BOTFA, than they were when FOTR was first released.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 12:22am

Post #9 of 25 (517 views)
Shortcut
i didn't even know these 6 movie marathons exist [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 12:29am

Post #10 of 25 (508 views)
Shortcut
Nice! I would love to do this [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing these impressions. I can imagine how much more meaningful these scenes were! Also did you find it more impactful in FOTR, the moment when Bilbo gives up the Ring?

This must have been a wonderful and very memorable experience!

gkgyver
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 1:00am

Post #11 of 25 (477 views)
Shortcut
It was [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, it was very moving. Especially when Bilbo gets taken in by the ring, and Gandalf says "We have been friends for such a long time, trust me, like you always did, give it up".

I was also surprised at how natural the whole prologue felt. The whole film felt so organically in touch with the Hobbit.

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 1:57am

Post #12 of 25 (456 views)
Shortcut
It adds such dimension to the character of Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Actually, it was very moving. Especially when Bilbo gets taken in by the ring, and Gandalf says "We have been friends for such a long time, trust me, like you always did, give it up".

It must have been, quite so!

When first watching LOTR, long before TH films existed, it was difficult to understand (as a movie-firster, which I was) why Bilbo was held in such high esteem by others, like the Elves, (e.g. Elrond), and why he was accorded the honor of going West. Now however .... oh, that is going to be such a completely different situation. The audience now will nod their heads in understanding and in sadness, knowing everything he went through.

You are lucky to have been one of the first to experience the six-film marathon! Maybe (I hope!) these will become more common in the future.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:16am

Post #13 of 25 (418 views)
Shortcut
This is just GREAT... and a great post!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love every word of what you said about how the new Trilogy enhances in so many ways the LOTR one.

In my own Review of BOTFA, which I added yesterday to the OFFICIAL REVIEW THREAD, it is exactly the new perspective on all those films together that is my most important theme, towards the end.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:20am

Post #14 of 25 (417 views)
Shortcut
Is 'Blimey' [In reply to] Can't Post

a new expression you like to use, inspired of course by our 'Hobbit' Trolls?!?
It's fun, I like it!!!
... And also what you say after that, btw!!! Wink

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Dec 22 2014, 4:21am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:33am

Post #15 of 25 (418 views)
Shortcut
The problem is only in your head, actually ... [In reply to] Can't Post

"the later films have too many callbacks that give them away as "prequels" and not first chapters, so to speak."
This is only because you see them with your present mindset!... What you deem 'callbacks' stand in their own right as real firsts in TH, when you abandon this mindset; and on the contrary they become memories to draw from, when we see again LOTR, now as the coninuation of the story.

Let go of this old mindset, and TH will become a total boon for LOTR as well.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:34am

Post #16 of 25 (411 views)
Shortcut
How interesting an observation.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for mentioning it!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:41am

Post #17 of 25 (403 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...take the ending of TBotFA, for instance. The familiar dialogue is supposed to elicit a very specific emotional reaction from the viewer - because we know it from The Fellowship of the Ring. It allows a swell of emotions to close out the films.

Regardless, even if you forget about the callbacks, there still leaves the tonal and visual differences between the two trilogies. I'm watching FotR right now, and it feels (rightfully) completely different from any of The Hobbit films. There's a sense of realism and historical texture to it (and despite the increased use of visual effects - TTT and RotK as well) that results in it being unquestionably different from the feel of The Hobbit films.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 22 2014, 4:42am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:47am

Post #18 of 25 (398 views)
Shortcut
It was the same with me, [In reply to] Can't Post

although I had read all the books, because I loved LOTR but had never really enjoyed 'The Hobbit', finding it too childish and the Dwarves too ridiculous and mean. Only now, thanks to this new Trilogy, has Bilbo really become alive for me, and Thorin's whole Company... I'm so grateful for that in itself, and also because it enhances so much, as you say, our perception of Bilbo in LOTR as well... Heart

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 4:52am

Post #19 of 25 (394 views)
Shortcut
I understand your points, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say my own visual perceptions are less refined and trained than yours, so the kind of differences you are speaking of I am not able to perceive myself... Bowing out from this discussion then,,,Wink

smtfhw
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 5:26am

Post #20 of 25 (388 views)
Shortcut
I Plan Something Lke That [In reply to] Can't Post

For the end of 2015/beginning 2016 when all of the extended editions are available. There's a rather splendid country house hotel not far from where I live that has its own screening room that seats around 30 people and some friends and I are plotting a long weekend where we watch all six films - there will be meal breaks and we'll not attempt to stay up all night (we're too old for that sort of silliness :)) and enjoy the whole thing!

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 8:25am

Post #21 of 25 (359 views)
Shortcut
Did you any of YOU see "The Frighteners" by PJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bom had Before FOTR...& in there are
"Black Spirits"...that were CGI that would HAVE
REALLY
Ramped UP the
"Black Riders"..

If you haven't seen it?
WATCH THIS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssLm550w6X8

It' also Cool to.. See Wellington, in the Early 1990's &
Micheal J. Fox BEFORE he got sick...

bom Likes Monsterzz!
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Dec 22 2014, 8:33am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 10:12am

Post #22 of 25 (335 views)
Shortcut
NO THANKS!... Not for me!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see horror films at all Even those which are supposed to be funny leave their images in my subconscious and then I get nightmares.
Anyway I really, really hate horror movies, sorry! Sly

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 10:53am

Post #23 of 25 (327 views)
Shortcut
Well, 'Blimey' is a Cockney expression [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to use it because it is dying out in the English language (in favour of swear words in particular, which generally 'don't do the job' for me because they are too boring).

From memory, I believe it comes from 'God blind me'.

In Reply To
a new expression you like to use, inspired of course by our 'Hobbit' Trolls?!?
It's fun, I like it!!!
... And also what you say after that, btw!!! Wink

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 11:19am

Post #24 of 25 (313 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this kind explanation!...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 3:40pm

Post #25 of 25 (303 views)
Shortcut
Me neither [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw an apparently 'mild' horror film once and didn't sleep for two nights (this was when I was already an adult). Since then I have avoided such films completely, to the extent that I can't even watch an excerpt from one.

In Reply To
I can't see horror films at all Even those which are supposed to be funny leave their images in my subconscious and then I get nightmares.
Anyway I really, really hate horror movies, sorry! Sly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.