"They want to bury him"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tdklimek
The Shire

Dec 21 2014, 10:16pm

Post #26 of 43 (1200 views)
Shortcut
How is this debate? MARRY not BURY [In reply to] Can't Post

She clearly said she wanted to marry him. sorry tauriel haters.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 10:44pm

Post #27 of 43 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it was "They want to marry him!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Which, upon proper reflection, might well explain her considerable distress.

irasel
The Shire

Dec 21 2014, 10:48pm

Post #28 of 43 (1166 views)
Shortcut
The drawbacks of being a hot dwarf ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

irasel
The Shire

Dec 21 2014, 10:51pm

Post #29 of 43 (1154 views)
Shortcut
You're right, thanks for your reply. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aranarth
The Shire

Dec 21 2014, 11:25pm

Post #30 of 43 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Kili's Mom [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea. through that whole scene all I could think of was "Poor Mom."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 11:31pm

Post #31 of 43 (1184 views)
Shortcut
And she didn't just lose her sons [In reply to] Can't Post

She also lost her brother. And her father. And her grandfather. Unsure

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 11:49pm

Post #32 of 43 (1154 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Could've sworn I heard her say that... Hm, makes more sense in the context, since "They" sounds a bit vague in the TE, and I don't think the dwarves would come up and just leave his body there with Tauriel. A dwarf of two would've most likely stayed behind to mourn him.

I just saw it again and she definitely says "they" want to bury him. I can clearly hear the "th" sound.

Or maybe she says "They'll want to bury him" and it isn't the "th" that's hard to hear, but the "'ll" :). Her comment seems meant as a semi-question, something she knows but feels the need for confirmation because it's both such a foreign concept to her and she can't imagine it happening to him. As Digific says I or they doesn't really change the meaning of the scene - it's about the pain she feels at his loss.

It also doesn't need the dwarves to come along and leave her with Kili's body - she's stating/asking what they will want to do with him once his death is discovered.

I wonder how that went down. Dwalin and Bilbo would have told everyone "Fili's dead", they could see Thorin was dead, was there a brief period where they had some hope that perhaps Kili was still alive but possibly injured? He ended up near a cliff edge they wouldn't have easily spotted them.. I wonder if Legolas told them? He was standing there watching over Tauriel until his father came and then he was going to leave but I'd imagine he could have come across the members of the company on his way out while they would still be looking and broken the news.

Lee Pace was really great in this scene - as cold as Thranduil'd been, he really portrayed he was so full of sympathy here.

And poor Dis, she's a truly tragic figure. We know nothing about her but her name and that she lost her entire family to the same evil - her grandfather, her father, her brothers and her sons.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Dec 21 2014, 11:58pm)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 12:52am

Post #33 of 43 (1145 views)
Shortcut
What do elves do with their dead? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know elves are immortal and at the end of their time in Middle Earth take a ship into the West. However, despite their immortality, they can be slain in battle. Does anyone know what elves do with those who are slain in battle? Does Tolkien ever say?

Miss-Merriweather
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 1:31am

Post #34 of 43 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for nothing, Thranduil... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... as cold as Thranduil'd been, he really portrayed he was so full of sympathy here.

And just for a moment let's imagine what Tauriel could have achieved in battle if Thranduil hadn't so unwisely chosen to smash her bow shortly before that.
Tongue

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 2:26am

Post #35 of 43 (1104 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
... as cold as Thranduil'd been, he really portrayed he was so full of sympathy here.

And just for a moment let's imagine what Tauriel could have achieved in battle if Thranduil hadn't so unwisely chosen to smash her bow shortly before that.
Tongue

Truly. But then again maybe she should have grabbed another bow, surely there must have been one lying around before they got out of the encampment. :)

But that's a good point, she'd probably have been more effective if she'd have her bow as well as her sword.

Miss-Merriweather
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 7:31am

Post #36 of 43 (1077 views)
Shortcut
But that was the moment when.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Truly. But then again maybe she should have grabbed another bow, surely there must have been one lying around before they got out of the encampment. :)

But that's a good point, she'd probably have been more effective if she'd have her bow as well as her sword.

... when Tauriel got "fired" by Thranduil.
None of the Elves would have given or granted her any kind of weapon or support after that...
(Except, of course, blue-eyed Leggy. Yay.)

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 23 2014, 7:10pm

Post #37 of 43 (1005 views)
Shortcut
hoping for the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they'll mention Dis at some point in the EE. Things were too rushed at the end of the TE for it to fit in, but Tauriel gives Kili back the stone, so maybe something will come up about it in the EE.

Definitely feel bad for her though, she just lost all of her remaining family at once. Frown

Nayavenne

Jan 2 2015, 9:28pm

Post #38 of 43 (967 views)
Shortcut
After watching it a third time... [In reply to] Can't Post

After watching it a third time I think I am quite certain that she said, 'I want to bury him'. In my opinion she refers to her conversation with Legolas at Gundabad. He tell sher that his mother was not buried and therefore there is no place that he can go to mourne her (that is solely my interpretation).

When Tauriel says that sentence, she addresses Thranduil, Legolas' father, who apparently did not bury his wife (or maybe he could not). So she tells him that she wants to bury him, to find closure and to have a place for mourning.

Not sure how others see that, but for me that would be a good explanation.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 2 2015, 9:40pm

Post #39 of 43 (961 views)
Shortcut
It's a lovely interpretation, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that's not what she says. "They want to bury him" is correct.

Nayavenne

Jan 2 2015, 9:47pm

Post #40 of 43 (955 views)
Shortcut
German translation possibly wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

That is interesting, then in that case the German translation is wrong, because she clearly says, 'ich' (I) not 'Sie' (they). I will watch it again and see whether they have really messed up the german translation.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 2 2015, 9:51pm

Post #41 of 43 (951 views)
Shortcut
How odd [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I think I remember another one of our German members mentioning the same thing. I can assure you that she says "they" (I've seen the film four times with the original English audio + subtitles which also read "they").

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 2 2015, 10:07pm

Post #42 of 43 (940 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and welcome to TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Nayavenne

Jan 3 2015, 11:00pm

Post #43 of 43 (922 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.