Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I saw BOTFA in 4DX, and wow what an experience [Minor Spoilers]

duiker

Dec 21 2014, 6:16pm

Post #1 of 13 (761 views)
Shortcut
I saw BOTFA in 4DX, and wow what an experience [Minor Spoilers] Can't Post

Yesterday I watched BOTF for the second time, and this time I did that in the format 4DX (the first time I saw it in 3D). I went to the cinema in Ho Chi Minh City (the former Saigon) in Vietnam. After seeing it my first time on december 18 in a cinema in Thailand, I wanted to see it again to see how much 4DX could add to this movie. And I was surprised how much better you can experience the movie in this format, and how much more you get the feeling that you are really in the middle of it. It goes to far to mention all the scenes with their 4DX effects, but I will mention some of the most memorables with an description of the effects in the cinema.

-The first scene is the attack of Smaug at Laketown. At the moment Smaug comes closer to attack Laketown, the chairs are moving with the flight of the dragon like you are flying together with him. Also during the release of his fire, some smoke is pumped in the cinema like you are really there in a town on fire. Also everytime the dragon flies over Laketown you feel a flash of wind passing you by. That gives you again a better feeling of size of the dragon and the air it replaces during flight.

-The second scene that impresses me was Dol Guldur. Your chair moves with the hits Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman makes during their fight with the Nine. Also when Saruman uses his staff with a lightflash, they give that lightflash very strong in the cinema to get the same effect the Nine get. It blinds you really for 1 second. So here you get the feeling to be part of the fight very well.

-The third scene that comes to my memory is when Bard run down the stairs in a card to safe his children. The bumping of the stairs you feel in your chair, so it makes you ride with with Bard.

-The fourth scene is the scene where Azog fights Thorin with the stone on the ice. Everytime when Azog swings the stone in front of you, you feel a light flash of wind, like the stone is passing close to you.

-The fifth and last scene I want to mention is when Bilbo is entering the Shire again after saying goodbye to Gandalf. At the moment he enters, they blow the smell of flowers in the cinema. So it gives you a nice homecoming feeling with this nice smell around you.

And there are many more effects I leave unmentioned here. So overall the format 4DX adds a lot of extra to the Hobbit experience. It gives you a feeling that you are really in the middle of it, and that you are part of Middle Earth. So if you can, than go to see it in this format (I don't know if that is possible in the US).

Vincent

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 6:19pm

Post #2 of 13 (469 views)
Shortcut
I wish i had such a theater near me [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like fun.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 6:20pm

Post #3 of 13 (492 views)
Shortcut
Sounds bonkers [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait for the day when we will actually be able to enter the screen and participate in the film. (Or perhaps not – I would die of fright if I saw even a hint of an Azog.)Unimpressed

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 7:13pm

Post #4 of 13 (433 views)
Shortcut
Just curious [In reply to] Can't Post

How much were the tickets? Sounds like an awesome experience and I would love to see that!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 7:28pm

Post #5 of 13 (404 views)
Shortcut
Sounds amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen a film in a cinema like that. Must be a remarkable experience.

duiker

Dec 21 2014, 7:47pm

Post #6 of 13 (418 views)
Shortcut
Price in the country where I live [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How much were the tickets? Sounds like an awesome experience and I would love to see that!

In the country where I live at the moment (Vietnam) is the price for this experience more high than a regular ticket, but not to much more high. A regular ticket on this movie costs around 100.000 vnd (is around 5 usd), for a 3D ticket you pay here around 150.000 vnd (is around 7,5 usd), and for 4DX you pay here 270.000 vnd (is around 13 usd). So yes it is more expensive, but you get a much better movie experience back for itWink

Vincent

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 8:01pm

Post #7 of 13 (379 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a really good price I think. I don't know in relationship to the overall economy there (I do hope to visit someday though) and whether people have that kind of money for a movie but USD wise that is under what the cost of an IMAX ticket is. That is great! I'm so glad you got to see it and you shared your experience with us!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 8:59pm

Post #8 of 13 (356 views)
Shortcut
What company operates that theater? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how it came to be in Vietnam before many other markets?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 9:20pm

Post #9 of 13 (341 views)
Shortcut
I had heard [In reply to] Can't Post

That some of the Asian markets had installed this kind of technology in their cinemas. I do not know if it's come west yet or not. I think they are mostly in the Asian markets though.

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 9:22pm

Post #10 of 13 (348 views)
Shortcut
Don't think I'd like it for regular viewings... [In reply to] Can't Post

But sure sounds like a lot of fun for a one time novelty kinda thing. Would love to give it a go sometime.

duiker

Dec 21 2014, 10:15pm

Post #11 of 13 (314 views)
Shortcut
Re: What company operates that theater? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder how it came to be in Vietnam before many other markets?

The company that operates most cinemas in Vietnam is an international company. First its name was "Megastar" and that changed this year in "CGV". Vietnam is an movie market not to underestimate. Especially in the big cities ( for example: Saigon (10 million people), Hanoi (7 million people), Haiphong (1,5 million people) an Danang (1 million people)) the Vietnamese people go many times to cinema. All international movies are broadcast here in the original sound with Vietnamese subtiteles. Many movies are have there first performances in the same week as the US, or even in case of the so called "superhero" movies 1 or 2 weeks before the US. In the first week or 2 weeks of the "big" movies, the cinema are filled for over 80% for most of the many performances a day. For example The Hobbit TBOFA is shown here in a suburb (district 7) 17 times a day spread over 3 cinema rooms in the theatre. Over the whole city of Saigon there are already about 8 cinemas of the above mentioned brand who all broadcast The Hobbit. And beside this brand there are a few more brands who also broadcast The Hobbit more times a day. So the market is big and growing, mostly because 70% of the 90 million population of Vietnam is younger than 40 years old!!! I think that is the reason why the international movie brands (like MGM, WB, New Line, etc.) see this country as their testing ground for movies and movie experience. We have all formats here: 4DX Dolby Athmos, IMAX, 3D HFR Dolby Athmos, 3D Dolby Athmos, 2D Digital, and regular 2D. And most of those formats we had here as 1 of the first in the world.

Vincent

duiker

Dec 21 2014, 10:21pm

Post #12 of 13 (313 views)
Shortcut
Re: Don't think I'd like it for regular viewings... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But sure sounds like a lot of fun for a one time novelty kinda thing. Would love to give it a go sometime.

4DX is not suitable for standard movies like Romantic Comedy, or Drama, or movies with very less action. The movies should have enough to offer to represent in this type of cinema for the effects inside. So most suitable for this are in my opinion: Disaster movies, Science Fiction movies, heavy Action movies, Superhero movies, and off course Fantasy movies.

Vincent

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 11:29pm

Post #13 of 13 (294 views)
Shortcut
It sounds awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

And Im certainly glad for you that you got to experience it and how great it is that you have those movie cinemas! I fear here in the U.S. they would be way too expensive to operate would likely not make it but it sounds like Vietnam is the pefect place for it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.