Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I'm very critical of these films - and of 3D.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 1:12pm

Post #1 of 11 (991 views)
Shortcut
I'm very critical of these films - and of 3D. Can't Post

Azog, Tauriel, Sylvester McCoy and goblin fairground rides. And I've found 3D taking away from the storytelling aspect of films in general.

So I went to see BOTFA with a friend who wanted to see it - the only showing we could both make was a 3D one, but I didn't mind, as I'm seeing it with my GF in 2D on Christmas Eve.

So, not the ideal circumstances for a first viewing. But I left the cinemal wondering if this is the same film some of the critics have seen. When I saw FOTR, I had no idea that such things were possible in cinema - I'd never seen anything like it. Watching this film was like going back to that experience, but with 3D finally showing what it was capable of in film. This was jaw-dropping film making. Why it worked so well? Apart from the direction - PJ's/AS's use of camera movement partly - but I think also it was the depth of the visual world they have created - something I haven't seen from other film makers. I don't know if it's just the sheer amount of work they put into it, or the use of the traditional art of Lee and Howe alongside the computer artists - but there's certainly an extra element here that I didn't see from, for example, Prometheus or Avatar.

The other thing - what the heck is all the moaning about CGI? - one or two bits where it wasn't perfect, but it certainly didn't come across as CGI heavy, and I'd say even less so than ROTK, because it was so perfectly integrated with live action for almost all of the film. Acting, pacing, script and - surprise surprise - respect for the original book all intact and of very high standard. I was expecting the film to tail off after Smaug's demise - on the basis of what some critics have said ie. that this was the only worthwhile bit of the film - and I did wonder how they were going to top it for the climax. But they did, by bringing in other elements and tone to contrast with the spectacular battle scenes. Great ending, too.

The main issue is whether I persuade my girlfriend to see it in 3D instead. I do still think that 3D is less good for remembering a linear story afterwards - it's more like remembering real life. But, that aside, the actual experience of watching something like this in 3D has some great benefits.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 1:35pm

Post #2 of 11 (560 views)
Shortcut
Probably should have put that in the Review thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't meant to be a review - more a comment on the 3D, but it kind of turned into one. Please feel free to move it if necessary.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 2:10pm

Post #3 of 11 (581 views)
Shortcut
Blimey [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought this was going to be a slamming of the film from your heading!Tongue

In general, I do not like 3D in films. However, I really like the 48 HFR format in the Hobbit films, and that was the format I saw BoFA in – spectacular. Then I saw it in IMAX 3D (first time I've ever seen any film in IMAX). I only went to see it in this format because I wanted to catch an early showing, and 48 HFR wasn't available then. I love the IMAX version, too. Perhaps your girlfriend will appreciate that? It's very full on, with the enormous screen, and works well in 3D.Smile

I agree that the visual creativity in these films is absolutely incredible – WETA are really masters of their craft/art. That combined with the wonderful acting from the main canon characters makes the film a fantastic thing to experience.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 2:36pm

Post #4 of 11 (517 views)
Shortcut
3-D [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always seen 3-D as little more than a gimmick... and a profitable one these days. Never has it further enhanced my enjoyment of a movie.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 2:42pm

Post #5 of 11 (516 views)
Shortcut
Same with me about the slamming...! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was already bracing myself to avoid getting angry at possibly unjust comments...!!!
And all the rest of your post too, is something I would myself say as well...
So thank you for saying it! Wink

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 2:48pm

Post #6 of 11 (504 views)
Shortcut
Imax isn't an option. [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing about our cinema experience is that it has been totally transformed. I hate ugly mutliplexes - huge sheds with giant carparks, where you can buy horrible food at stupid prices - they should be all torn down. Our local town (a beautiful little place in the Highlands) has renovated an old 1920s Art Deco cinema in the town square - 3D screen and everything, with a cafe, affordable food and ticket prices about £1 cheaper than multiplexes. So, instead of a fifty mile round trip, it's ten minutes in the car, park in a side street, pop in, meet up with the locals (nearly always see someone I know there). Saw BOTFA with a coffee and a piece of home cooked fruit cake on a china plate!

So, it's either 3D or 2D for us. Having said that, If I happen to be in Edinburgh in the new year I'll try to catch it on Imax - there's a screen in the centre that is nicer than the average multiplex.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 2:54pm

Post #7 of 11 (486 views)
Shortcut
In that case [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really know about the 2D or ordinary 3D options, because I don't know what they are like. However, if you yourself enjoyed the 3D version, perhaps your girlfriend would too?Smile

The venue sounds absolutely gorgeous. Lucky you – and to have a cinema at all in a little town! I know that in Wales, which I visit quite frequently (the Borders as well), there's no sign of cinemas in small towns.

If you can, though, do try to see it on IMAX as well – it's well worth the experience.Wink

P.S. I was very critical of DoS for one or two reasons, though not the visual aspects, but this film has 'blown me away' (as they say).

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Dec 21 2014, 3:01pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2014, 3:14pm

Post #8 of 11 (471 views)
Shortcut
I'm so happy to hear about your theater! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a small movement in the US to save those local theaters and let them re-join the community. Most of them show the smaller, independent films so they don't compete with the multiplexes, but it's such a joy to see people in the seats, enjoying the movie experience.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 4:09pm

Post #9 of 11 (433 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I so miss the locally owned theatre of my youth. I loved the one screen theatre, the owner was there all the time smiliing, talking to people about the movies. It had a curtain that would go up when the feature started. Life then was so much slower paced. I enjoyed it and the experience. And it only cost 25cents to get in! Cool

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 4:36pm

Post #10 of 11 (436 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it's not this black and white, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly get the feeling the negative reviews are from 2D viewings and the positive from 3D and Imax viewings.

peterLF
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 1:37am

Post #11 of 11 (340 views)
Shortcut
Still waiting for 2D HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

3D is a gimmick. Our eyes doesn't work that way. We see 2D and our brains calculate the depth. And not everyone does it in exactly the same way - so you can't fake it without some people being left behind. Personal computing is one thing, but in this iteration 3D is a complete dud.

HFR though is something along the right lines. It's annoyed me for years the choppy camera pans SFR produce, even with HD/blu-ray tech. The tech needs to emulate how our eyes works, and our eyes are alot better than 30fps. I am aware of the artistic feel of the traditional formats and resolutions to create a certain vibe (say for example, Citizen Kane - to me that has no business being in HFR) - but with high-octane battle sequences and fight scenes there is no artistic filter in the world that can justify choppy panning.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.