Tauriel/Kili Appreciation...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Laineth
Lorien

Jan 12 2015, 1:10am

Post #101 of 125 (11756 views)
Shortcut
No, [In reply to] Can't Post

that definitely looks like a smile. Just like the one when Kili tell her his promise to Dís. Great catch!

I think she was scared of the situation, because of her feelings. Personally, I don't think she accepted them until after her confronation with Thranduil. She just feels changed to me.

What I think is important is that it's elvish nature to percieve and know. Knowing doesn't mean accepting, and I think we see that clearly with Tauriel, as she doesn't accept until it's too late.

I know! Isn't the depth of these scenes amazing?

Laineth
Lorien

Jan 12 2015, 1:25am

Post #102 of 125 (11753 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with all of this. You sum Kíli up perfectly!

One of the most interesting things to me has been Tauriel's fear. It was a gutsy move, and I love it.

The realness definitely hits her in that moment, but I still think she didn't accept it fully until the confrontation with Thranduil. Her reaction to his words is too severe otherwise. That's also when she stops talking from a general point to focus only on Kíli.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 12 2015, 2:30pm

Post #103 of 125 (11745 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

One of the most interesting things to me has been Tauriel's fear. It was a gutsy move, and I love it.

The realness definitely hits her in that moment, but I still think she didn't accept it fully until the confrontation with Thranduil. Her reaction to his words is too severe otherwise. That's also when she stops talking from a general point to focus only on Kíli.

I agree, the full acceptance comes later, when she stops talking in generalities(also a very good catch).

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 12 2015, 7:22pm

Post #104 of 125 (11753 views)
Shortcut
little comments to several post(er)s [In reply to] Can't Post

And there is over three times the amount of Kiliel to Tauriel/Legolas. I don't really get Durincest, but I do love a good Bagginshield.

Same here :)
I still haven't gotten around to reading the fanfics you and marillaraina have linked here. Been too busy. Unimpressed But I'm happy that you have linked them, and will keep them in mind once our move is over and computers are again online.

I hope we are allowed to post gifs like that, because there are a few really nice ones out there from the Lakeshore scene that I'd love to post or link to.

Please do! Smile I think it's OK since my link has been allowed to remain here.

I think Tauriel is quite confident and certain when it comes to fighting, when it comes to justice but I think when she is confronted by something she doesn't know how to respond that is her "oh heck I don't know what to do" face. :) It's sort of sweet, she's just the tiniest bit awkward.

I think so too. Heart It's like her controlled composure cracks a little when he get close to her (emotionally and/or physically).

People sometimes forget that real love can sometimes be scary. That's why they call it 'falling". :)

Good point there :)

Having a Prince of Durin married to Thranduil's right hand... I can't see the dwarves accepting that. They're big on holding grudges, after all.

I think they might be swayed because Tauriel saved Kili's life (many times over). By doing so she had nothing personal to gain but much to lose, i.e. risking Thranduil's further anger by disobeying Legolas's order. Also, being second in line and not the first would work in Kili's favor, as the rest would probably be more strict with Fili's choice of a mate. In addition, apparently it's Tolkien canon that "Dwarves are intensely jealous in their relationships. In fact, it’s said that dwarves only marry once, and if they fall in love with somebody who is already married, or who does not love them back, then they will refuse to marry anyone else." (Dwarves, Sex, and Gender) In other words, if Kili could not have Tauriel, he would not marry at all. (Although less than half of dwarf males do, so Kili remaining single would be expected.)

You're probably right.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jan 12 2015, 7:24pm)

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 13 2015, 6:35am

Post #105 of 125 (11730 views)
Shortcut
design [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

There are other things I want to respond to your posts but I can't seem to get my thoughts together tonight. :)

On a purely aesthetic note,though, their individual coloring makes them an especially striking pair. There is just something about black(or very very dark brown hair) and red hair together that makes for a striking couple. Both of them having long hair even more so. Every time I see a gif of the Lakeshore scene I take notice of it.

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 16 2015, 2:36am

Post #106 of 125 (11734 views)
Shortcut
Kili and Tauriel/Bilbo and Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

And there is over three times the amount of Kiliel to Tauriel/Legolas. I don't really get Durincest, but I do love a good Bagginshield.

Same here :)
I still haven't gotten around to reading the fanfics you and marillaraina have linked here. Been too busy. Unimpressed But I'm happy that you have linked them, and will keep them in mind once our move is over and computers are again online.

I hope we are allowed to post gifs like that, because there are a few really nice ones out there from the Lakeshore scene that I'd love to post or link to.

Please do! Smile I think it's OK since my link has been allowed to remain here.

I think Tauriel is quite confident and certain when it comes to fighting, when it comes to justice but I think when she is confronted by something she doesn't know how to respond that is her "oh heck I don't know what to do" face. :) It's sort of sweet, she's just the tiniest bit awkward.

I think so too. Heart It's like her controlled composure cracks a little when he get close to her (emotionally and/or physically).

People sometimes forget that real love can sometimes be scary. That's why they call it 'falling". :)

Good point there :)

Having a Prince of Durin married to Thranduil's right hand... I can't see the dwarves accepting that. They're big on holding grudges, after all.

I think they might be swayed because Tauriel saved Kili's life (many times over). By doing so she had nothing personal to gain but much to lose, i.e. risking Thranduil's further anger by disobeying Legolas's order. Also, being second in line and not the first would work in Kili's favor, as the rest would probably be more strict with Fili's choice of a mate. In addition, apparently it's Tolkien canon that "Dwarves are intensely jealous in their relationships. In fact, it’s said that dwarves only marry once, and if they fall in love with somebody who is already married, or who does not love them back, then they will refuse to marry anyone else." (Dwarves, Sex, and Gender) In other words, if Kili could not have Tauriel, he would not marry at all. (Although less than half of dwarf males do, so Kili remaining single would be expected.)

You're probably right.

First let me sayI don't ship Bilbo and Thorin but there was a really interesting picture post comparing parallel scenes between Thorin and Bilbo and Kili and Tauriel and even without the shipping part I do think it's interesting that there are so many little parallels. I wonder if there is something meaning to it.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 16 2015, 8:28am

Post #107 of 125 (11715 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't ship Bilbo & Thorin either. I see them as two unlikely friends who gradually grow to understand and value each other, and yes there is love between them but in an entirely platonic sense. I don't see them as a couple, nor wish for a romance between them.

Having said that, I have accidentally stumbled upon some very well-written fanfics that had the Bagginshield pairing, and they were so well done - both were kept "in character", and felt like they truly were being themselves even in this non-canon setting - that I was kind of carried away with them and could buy the relationship. So, "officially" I don't ship them but have occasionally enjoyed a story from someone who does. I hope that makes sense. Smile

The link in your post is broken and leads nowhere (even when I removed " from the address). Could you post it again?

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jan 16 2015, 8:30am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 16 2015, 10:33am

Post #108 of 125 (11711 views)
Shortcut
Fixed link [In reply to] Can't Post

http://anddante.tumblr.com/post/108175310394

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 16 2015, 10:53am

Post #109 of 125 (11704 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!
I never would have thought there were quite so many similarities.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 16 2015, 1:40pm

Post #110 of 125 (11703 views)
Shortcut
Me neither [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how much of this is the result of conscious choices or whether it is purely coincidental?

marillaraina
Rohan

Jan 16 2015, 8:59pm

Post #111 of 125 (11694 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Sorry I normally check my links and I forgot.

Yeah I wonder how much of that was conscious? That said, either way, I think it suggests that they don't see Kili and Tauriel's relationship as just a crush but something important and those small interactions carry a lot of weight.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Jan 16 2015, 9:07pm)

Cormelas

Mar 18 2015, 3:36am

Post #112 of 125 (11576 views)
Shortcut
And fanfic starts filling in the holes ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this fanfic to be strangely comforting,

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2873732/chapters/6427259

It totally fits, and makes the departure of Legolas even more poignant.

Cormelas

Mar 18 2015, 3:51am

Post #113 of 125 (11571 views)
Shortcut
What about an earlier off-screen conversation? [In reply to] Can't Post

The lakeshore scene unfolds in chaos, with people still struggling to reach land, but the dwarves/girls arrived in a boat. They could have been on the shore for hours and only with the light of day did they start searching for Bard.
While on the shore waiting for dawn, why wouldn't there have been an opportunity for Kíli and Tauriel to talk? They may have been talking about what would happen next, with Smaug dead and their uncle King under the mountain. The thought of having to go in different directions had to come up. Only once the time to actually separate came did the short on-screen exchange take place.

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 18 2015, 3:57am

Post #114 of 125 (11573 views)
Shortcut
thumbs up [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I found this fanfic to be strangely comforting,

It totally fits, and makes the departure of Legolas even more poignant.

This is a very nice story.

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 18 2015, 4:32am

Post #115 of 125 (11567 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The lakeshore scene unfolds in chaos, with people still struggling to reach land, but the dwarves/girls arrived in a boat. They could have been on the shore for hours and only with the light of day did they start searching for Bard.
While on the shore waiting for dawn, why wouldn't there have been an opportunity for Kíli and Tauriel to talk? They may have been talking about what would happen next, with Smaug dead and their uncle King under the mountain. The thought of having to go in different directions had to come up. Only once the time to actually separate came did the short on-screen exchange take place.

My thought has actually been that originally a couple of days was supposed to pass. Now it only took Thorin's group about half a day to reach the mountain. Smaug attacked Laketown that night.

Yet by the time the Laketown dwarves reach Erebor, Bilbo is saying "Thorin's been down there for days!" If they'd left the morning after Smaug's attack, at best it would take them a day, yet it's been DAYS.

To me this means that the Laketown group is actually supposed to have spent a couple of days on the shores with the refugees originally, probably helping out and Kili and Tauriel would have had a chance to have a few more interactions, at least one of which we should have gotten to see. LOL

IF they did film any scenes like that, I think they should include it in the EE but they probably won't.

Cormelas

Mar 19 2015, 3:08am

Post #116 of 125 (11548 views)
Shortcut
Amrâlimê as a promise of something more? [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted this initial question to the Dwarrow Scolar, but have received no reply to date.

Is it possible that Kíli's proclamation was more than simply "my love," but was actually telling her she was THE love-of-me [ love of his life]? I see from the "Who's the Bride?" (WTB) post (https://dwarrowscholar.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/whos-the-bride-dwarven-marriage/) that core Tolkein facts indicate dwarves choose only one love for life. If Kíli is "choosing" Tauriel, this is almost as powerful as Arwen choosing Aragorn - choosing a mortal life as only few elves have the "gift" to do so. And as Elves have a similar partnering for life, with a phrase for it (Mela en' coiamin), Tauriel is basically being told he has betrothed himself to her for the rest of his life.

If this is in essence what "Amrâlimê" was meant to convey, Kíli's final act of love was to "marry" Tauriel. From the same "WTB" post, dwarves may marry by money, consummation, or contract. While a dwarven woman would "choose" her love (and never marry if he did not reciprocate), Kíli is in love with an elf-maid. He doesn't know if she will choose him, or how this is to work, so he has to make her the offer. He makes his contract with her by proclaiming "Amrâlimê," and before leaving, he "seals the marriage" with a promise and the greatest consideration he has, his rune stone.

To quote WTB:
"To satisfy the requirements of acquisition by wealth, the sum of acquisition must belong to the groom. It cannot be borrowed, although it can be a gift from a relative (in most cases the parents of the groom). It must be given to the wife irrevocably. In addition, the value must be known to the wife, so that there can be no claim that the husband deceived her into marrying by misleading her as to its value."

It was the only thing of value he had in the world, and she knew exactly what value it carried. He didn't know if he'd ever see her again, if he'd live another day, week, year or 250 years, but he gave her his promise of love for life. A most special promise and priceless gift.

Hypothesizing further, as Tauriel "kept" the stone - I feel she knew what it was as soon as he placed it in her hand, as she had held it and studied it before - she was "accepting" his pledge. She easily could have said "I can't keep this, it is too important to you." Yet she held tight, letting him stare into her eyes as she stared back, saying "yes" with her soul, all the while knowing she could not utter even the slightest hint of acknowledgement as Legolas would hear. She had to hope Kíli understood that.

As Kíli paddles away and looks back one last time at his love, her eyes fill with tears, the emotion of all that has happened with Kíli, being in less time than the blink of an eye in the life of an elf, catches her breath and pains her heart. It is real; precious and pure. But there is only a fool's hope that it could ever be theirs to share.

The rune stone contains the promise Kíli made to Dis that she wanted to remind him of during his journeys - "inikh dê" ("return to me"). While he would try his best to keep that promise, the one he made to Tauriel - "Amrâlimê" - was more pure; he knew he could/would love only her for the rest of his life, and whether or not she could return his pledge, his side of the betrothal was set in stone, even if not carved on the stone he entrusted to her.

Quoting WTB: "In fact, as we have established, the woman is in fact the one that decides if she will take a man, the man can only accept or deny – when he denies he in fact “condemns” the woman into a state of unaccepted love for the rest of her life (as she will not have another). So, “acquiring” a wife is in fact a symbolic demonstration of the husband who accepts his future wife."

Kíli was giving Tauriel the right to accept or deny him, but she may not have understood that denying would have "condemned" Kíli. If she was aware of this, her apparent failure to choose - her silence when confronted with Kíli's promise - was perhaps her way of giving Kíli his ability to choose another of his own kind. But it was too late. He would deny any of his own kind if any were to ever choose him in the future. Or perhaps in the aftermath of the dragon attack and in the face of the unknown outcome of the Orcs war on Erebor, she was buying time to let him (and her) think things through more clearly, and when the dust settled, they would knew better about what paths were to be before them for the future. Unfortunately, the fates were not on their side.

Both of them surviving the next battle was uncertain, and wholly unforeseeable as neither had any way of knowing that was coming. But that didn't occur to her when she arrived at the battle. She stood up to her (former) King - her adoptive guardian - accusing him of having no love in him. And she was berated for her "feelings" in return - "What do you know of love? Nothing! What you feel for the dwarf...is not real. You think it is love? Are you ready to die for it?"

Thranduil did not get to hear her answer (or cause her death) because someone who was willing to die for his feelings for her, Legolas, stepped in and told his father as much. "If you harm her, you will have to kill me." Thranduil thinks he has lost his son to a maid in love with another. No heir for Thranduil.

(Kíli's Death is too near, I cannot write about it. Yet.)

Tauriel "returning" the stone is her betrothal to Kíli, although posthumously, she acknowledges she will never love another as she is pledging herself to him with the most valuable thing she has (or ever will have) - his promise to her as symbolized by the rune stone.

Tauriel lowers her hand from her breast, opening her fingers to reveal a glimpse of the stone. She strokes the runes with her thumb and reaches for Kíli's hand. She slips the stone into his palm, clasps their hands to her heart, kisses his gloved knuckles and sobs. Legolas sees this and knows she has pledged herself back to him. Thus Legolas cannot "go back." He has lost the hope for the love that he may have thought one day could be real. Or not. He may have just considered Tauriel a kid sister, and watching her heart break is too much for him.

After saying farewell to his son, the one his wife loved "more than anyone" (possibly even more than himself?), Thranduil then finds Tauriel grieving over Kíli. She stokes his cheek as she sits aside his lifeless body. Thranduil now understands his son's departure; Legolas has lost Tauriel forever because her love for Kíli isn't a figment, as Tauriel's feelings were reciprocated. When she asks her liege to take her love/pain from her, she may well be asking for him to end her life as he offered to do before. With Legolas gone, he won't stay Thranduil's sword this time. (She had to overhear the father and son speaking, even in her grieving - she's an elf).

Tauriel has spoken to the dwarves as she tells Thranduil "they want to bury him." "Yes" he says knowing that she will likely not be able to bear it even if she could attend. She goes on to convey (between the lines) that she was wrong to accuse him of having no love and by decrying the feelings of pain brought upon by her love for Kíli.

Thranduil knows his prior taunts were cruel and an insult in retribution for her nocking an arrow at him and standing stubbornly (how dwarf-like!) in defiance of him. She is now willing to die for her feelings, by his hand, for her treason to him and to her people. Yet he pays her the highest honor of "blessing" their love by telling her "it was real." Real and pure. Requited and forever.

Tauriel is awestruck at Thranduil's gift, and realizes he is not going to kill her. A thought dawns on her as she furrows her brow, drops her gaze from her king to a faraway place, then lowers her head to look at her beloved.

She lifts their clasped hands to the side of her head and reaches down to kiss Kíli's lips. She rises up with his hand in hers and smiles softly through her tears, and turns her lips again to his hand held at her shoulder.

While I originally thought she had realized she would be succumbing to grief and die of a broken heart so she could join Kíli in the Halls of Mandos, I'm now not so sure. If elves do not "succumb" without any say in the matter, but may choose to end their lives when heart break has occurred, perhaps she goes on to make amends with Thranduil, return to the a Woodland Realm, and eventually die so as to reunite with Kíli. But her life would be one of loneliness - no love, as elves choose only one partner, and hers is lost, no family, no "big brother" Legolas, no career as her days as Captain of the Guard are likely over - and that would leave her without a reason to stay in Middle Earth. The undying lands are not likely an option as few Silvan elves sailed West. Elves left in ME would "fade." That makes dying of a broken heart (by choice) the romanticists' hope. Can anyone make a better case for any alternative?

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 19 2015, 4:08am

Post #117 of 125 (11542 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if I entirely buy the idea. It seems to me that both dwarven men and woman were allowed to choose whether or not they married, and while there were more dwarf men than women, neither was forced. Women could choose whether or not they wanted to marry and so could men and many of both genders just decided they didn't want to.

As I see it both dwarves and elves essentially have one love according to what we know about them - I don't think it is necessarily more complicated than that. Two people either love each other or they don't. I think Tauriel and Kili loved each other, just the unique case of an elf's one being a dwarf and a dwarf's one being an elf.. (I hate using that fanfic term "one" but it does seem the easiest way to describe it:))

I think he gave her the stone just as he said, as a promise. But he is leaving the choice in her hands. She doesn't come when he initially asks her but he continued on his own journey so yeah I agree I would say he's leaving the decision up to her.

I guess you could say he is promising himself to her when he commits to calling her his love and then giving her the stone, and then allowing her to decide whether she will do the same but I think he has some faith that she will. So I do agree it's a commitment on his part - the promise is that if she returns to him, he will be there for her - like if you come to me, my heart will still be yours. I don't think it was something he did lightly at all - it may have happened quickly but it didn't happen with no thought on his part.

That's one of Kili's strengths I think - he mostly knows himself. A lot of people(and dwarves I imagine) have filters even in their own minds.. Tauriel did I think to a certain extent, she had to work through that before she could go to him even though she felt much the same as he did. Kili didn't make it more complicated than it was. Certainly there would have been plenty of external complications - but he didn't give himself a lot of hoops to jump through within himself. He felt what he felt, he considered it and he decided he was willing to face the difficulties ahead rather than trying to fight it to avoid the trouble("I know how I feel and I'm not afraid"). He has emotional courage and that's one of the strengths of his character.

And she did choose Kili, even if it was doomed to end at the start line. I don't think that would mean she'd fade - because I don't think Tauriel is like that, I think she'd view it more as wanting make Kili's death worth something by living a worthwhile life - whether it was back in Mirkwood having made up with Thranduil or somewhere else in Middle Earth. But given the fact that many elves left Middle Earth during the following decades, Tauriel may have decided to leave eventually.

Cormelas

Mar 19 2015, 4:20am

Post #118 of 125 (11540 views)
Shortcut
You're right, ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I now remember at the time when Bilbo said it thinking "Days? really?" But then had to pay attention to what came next.

If there had been more time between healing Kíli and Smaug, this would seem plausible. [warning: adult content] http://archiveofourown.org/works/1114215/chapters/2243657

For those who wonder what did the other dwarves think, there's this:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3166997

And while this is wishful thinking, it is quite the epic of Kiliel shipping. [warning: adult content].
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3223073?view_full_work=true

Cormelas

Mar 19 2015, 4:58am

Post #119 of 125 (11538 views)
Shortcut
Kíli's strength is his pure heart [In reply to] Can't Post

His emotional courage comes from a life lived without the formalities of being a member of a ruling family with a kingdom, but being a boy growing to become a man in a world unlike that of his parents or uncles upbringing. Every choice is a gift. Choosing Tauriel is a precious privilege, not done lightly and knowing he has to live with the consequences. He is ready to do so, and allows her to decide if she could do so herself. He is so strong to give her the time she needs to work out her feelings. Sadly, time was running out without him realizing it.

As Gandalf said: All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Kíli chose to live and love and laugh and stand for what he believes in. Purely. And with no fear or shame or regret. Tauriel would need to live hundreds of years more to even begin to fulfill the "promise" (meaning "potential" and not solemn vow) that Kíli's death cut short.

Cormelas

Apr 1 2015, 4:12am

Post #120 of 125 (11433 views)
Shortcut
A change in Tauriel's appreciation of the situation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think she was scared of the situation, because of her feelings. Personally, I don't think she accepted them until after her confronation with Thranduil. She just feels changed to me.

I see that change, too. Tauriel watches Kíli leave, feels her heart break, then finds out she is banished, and then goes off to Gundebad with Legolas to "forget" her woes. Problem is, the woes keep coming.

What if her own acceptance came from Legolas acknowledging her feelings - because he knows her well enough to see she is suffering. If he is "fond" of her in a big brother sort of way, the pain she feels will grieve him, too. After they return to Dale, he seems all too quick to protect her from his father's dismissive trashing of her feelings for Kíli and to agree to accompany her in defiance of his father's orders.

Again, if you haven't read it, check out this fanfic I found:

If the triangle never really existed, but was only for the audience to infer, any perceived "jealousy" may have been protective allegiance and deep-down desire for her happiness.

Laineth
Lorien

May 20 2015, 2:05am

Post #121 of 125 (11201 views)
Shortcut
Hi. [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I know it's been a really long time! Things happened. Having thought about it and finished my Tauriel essay (http://theseassong.blogspot.com/2015/05/tauriel-of-woodland-realm.html) I think you're right about the dwarves. And it would be easier for the two of them to live in Erebor, then in Mirkwood (though I don't see Tauriel's banishment staying).

I'd love to get feedback on my essay, if anyone's interested. I talk a lot about Kiliel, Thranduil, and Legolas, too.

Laineth
Lorien

May 20 2015, 2:06am

Post #122 of 125 (11201 views)
Shortcut
I really like that one, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laineth
Lorien

May 20 2015, 2:17am

Post #123 of 125 (11197 views)
Shortcut
Hello. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry it's been so long! Stuff happened.

I agree with all of this. It is both Kili's strength and weakness - he doesn't hesitate to act. But when dealing with trolls and hidden orcs, it would be best not charging in!

I saw the scene, and I went, 'wow! That's like an informal betrothal!'

I don't think Tauriel would die from grief either. It wouldn't be what Kili would want, and she's too loyal to abandon her people and duty. I have no doubt that she returns to Mirkwood (I just finished my Tauriel essay, and you might like it. I would love to get some feedback! http://theseassong.blogspot.com/2015/05/tauriel-of-woodland-realm.html ).

As for sailing, in LotR it's implied that Thranduil is gone by the time Legolas sails. I'm pretty sure that she would have gone with him - on top of her loyalty, Mahal is in Aman, and she would want assurance that Kili's soul is safe.

Laineth
Lorien

May 20 2015, 2:51am

Post #124 of 125 (11193 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't read that first one! I really like the second one ("Fili Knew").

Personally, I love fanfic. It's so creative, and you can find some really amazing stories. I was reading one recently (a modern AU) with this line from Bard: "I have three kids, one is a teenager and the other has a growing attitude each day. I kinda have to have the last word if I wanna survive in my own home."

I probably find it hilarious since I'm just past being a teenager myself. Poor Bard!

Also, one of my Bagginshield favorites, has Kiliel as a side pairing. It has this in it:

He finally places the room where the conversation is coming from and his first impression is fiery red hair catching the candlelight and a long green body tucked and curled around the small form on the bed. The elf woman, the guard from Mirkwood, curled easily on the bed that is much too small for her, her legs and arms almost forming a cage around Kili.

She’s bright and giggling and smiling sweetly, but Bilbo’s reminded of a large mountain cat, protecting what’s hers from the rest of the world with soft purring and sheathed claws.

“Amelamanin?” Kili tries, frowning through a smile when the elf woman laughs in delight. Bilbo’s anxiousness is dispelled completely for a bit by a rushing relief that Kili is very much alive, a profound confusion as to what the elven guard is doing braced over him and teaching him sweet elvish endearments, and a wild thought of “Does Thorin know about whatever is going on here?”

[cut]

“I won’t be much longer!” Fili huffs, then winces in absolute pain at the tittering from the other bed in response. He looks up at Bilbo in misery. “They won’t stop. They keep just giggling on over there, Bilbo. It’s draining me. I can feel the will to go on leaving my broken body with every insipid little muttering!”

[cut]

“Tauriel,” she says, the word flowing like rolling water, and Kili smiles up at her like she’s the most wonderful and amazing thing he’s ever seen. Tauriel catches his gaze and smiles back, the warmth of all the sun caught in her face, and she gazes down at the dwarf like he is life itself.

Bilbo clears his throat, feeling incredibly awkward, and looks at Fili, who gives him a look that so clearly says “Now do you see?” that Bilbo has to hide his laugh behind a coughing fit.

“All day, Bilbo. They’re like that for hours. I can’t take it much longer, I really can’t.”

Poor Fili! Granted, I have a weird sense of humor. Though I think this has to be one of the best fanfic passages I have ever read:

He’s found his own tactic for battle, however.

“And then there’s this particular move which I”—Bilbo flicks his sword lightly, knocking the goblin’s spear and jumping back from the return swing at the same time—“am quite fond of! Now then what you usually do as a counter—” He jumps back again. “Noooo! No, no, not like that. You need to answer it with a Handrilian Guard Parry!”

There is no such thing as a Handrilian Guard Parry. Bilbo hasn’t the slightest idea what he’s talking about; he’s barely somewhat functional with a sword now after a few months of practice with Thorin. But the goblin stops and stares at him with its face twisted up in what Bilbo assumes is confusion.

Bilbo keeps his sword up, waiting to see if the goblin will lower its guard a bit. “Now, now you see, what you need to do is, uh. Well, your footwork. Your footwork is just atrocious.” Bilbo snorts and shakes his head, not moving his eyes from the goblin’s weapon. “It’s almost embarrassing, really. I would be embarrassed. I am embarrassed, actually.”

The goblin squints at him, and from somewhere behind them there’s an odd choking sound.

“So what you do is—”

“BURGLAR!” Thorin’s voice bellows out behind him, “SHUT UP!”

Bilbo jumps a bit, but the goblin’s head whips around in confusion, enough of a pause that Bilbo can lunge forward and shove his blade through its chest with a yell.

He takes a bit of effort to yank the sword free, making a face at the wet, sloppy crunch it makes on the way out. When he looks up, Thorin is standing there staring at him like he’s the maddest and most unnerving thing he’s ever seen.

“What,” Thorin sputters, “in Mahal’s name, is a Handrilian Guard Parry?”

“What? Oh. That.” Bilbo looks down at the goblin, sniffs, and shrugs as he looks back at Thorin. “Haven’t the slightest idea. He didn’t either, though.”

Thorin stares at him for a few more seconds in complete, amazed shock. The laugh that comes out of him seems to startle him even more, and for a few seconds he seems more confused by that than anything else, until Bilbo grins and starts chuckling back, and soon Thorin’s leaning on his sword and laughing hard enough to shake his solid frame.

Same fanfic. It's a mature Bagginshield, if you want to read it: http://archiveofourown.org/works/2838050/chapters/6366713

Laineth
Lorien

May 20 2015, 2:56am

Post #125 of 125 (11193 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

that's a great fanfic. I'm firmly against Tauriel/Legolas. Just no! I can't stand it. I have the same problem with Aragorn/Eowyn. I love all four characters dearly, but I will go insane if people insist on those pairings.

Anyway. I just finished my Tauriel essay, and I talk about Thranduil and Legolas a lot too. She and Legolas act like best friends, not romantic interests. My essay's here: http://theseassong.blogspot.com/2015/05/tauriel-of-woodland-realm.html

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.