Biggest Laugh in Cinema

HelmHammerHand
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 6:57pm

Post #1 of 17 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Biggest Laugh in Cinema Can't Post

Just seen BOTFA for first time today!

By far the biggest laugh in Cinema was at Bilbo's response to Thranduil's comment about his theft of prison keys Laugh

Other laugh was at Bard's pushing down of Alfrid near-ish the beginning

What raised the biggest laugh when you saw the film?

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 7:01pm

Post #2 of 17 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Lots [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog falling down the ice

Anything Alfrid did, like calling Gandalf a beggar and yelling "WHY ME?!" on the shores of the long lake

Legolas climbing on rocks

Bilbo saying "I took it as my fourteenth share"

Dain's convo with Thranduil

Bilbo and Gandalf's last conversation about him knowing about the ring and Bilbo's "no, no, no!" Cool

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 20 2014, 7:02pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 7:03pm

Post #3 of 17 (980 views)
Shortcut
Probably... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Alfrid's "Not every man is brave enough to wear a corset." Laugh

~Medieval Soul
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 7:19pm

Post #4 of 17 (1033 views)
Shortcut
By far, thunderously loud.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfrid's bust full of coins! xD

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 7:32pm

Post #5 of 17 (958 views)
Shortcut
None in my theater [In reply to] Can't Post

it was still as a tomb the whole movie - very very odd. There was a cough or two during Thorin's death scene (where I was trying to be quiet while tears were streaming down my face) but there was no reaction to anything, good or bad, the entire showing.

I hope I get a livelier crowd on Monday! Well, at least a more demonstrably appreciative one.

HelmHammerHand
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 7:36pm

Post #6 of 17 (904 views)
Shortcut
Different perspectives on humour perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be interested to discover if a US audience responds differently to a UK audience for example...

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 7:53pm

Post #7 of 17 (857 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the first showing of the day, around 30 people total, and mostly middle-aged and older (no kids at all). I'm pretty sure a more crowded showing would be different.

There wasn't even any talking during the previews. Though, now that I think of it, just about everyone (including me) was sitting by themselves, so they had no companions to talk with.

But still, no gasps, chuckles, sniffling...nothing. Maybe we were all in our own little worlds there.

At the end everyone except me and the person sitting nearest to me left before Billy's song even started. I hadn't listened to the song beforehand in my quest to remain spoiler-free so I wanted to hear it, and I love the character drawings they do at the end, so I was staying put.

So, maybe just chalk it up to a bunch of very reserved folks all there at the same time!

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 8:32pm

Post #8 of 17 (835 views)
Shortcut
One of the... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the reasons why I love going to the movies is to share the experience with the rest. The laugh, cries or gasps so going to a completely quiet showing must be odd Laugh

Anyway at the premiere in Oslo the theater is huuuuge so it's impossible to catch every response beyond laughter really. Maybe the only exception was when it was revealed that Azog had captured Fili. Caused many gasps. Laughs though there were quite a lot of.

Most Alfrid moments
The dwarves except from Thorin ducking behind the wall when the army of elves points their bows at them.
Beorn arriving (okay maybe not biggest laugh, but many did)
Bilbo's facial expression usually brought out a laugh or two.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 8:34pm

Post #9 of 17 (860 views)
Shortcut
I laughed out loud a few times... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I was the only one. There was maybe 20-25 people with me on opening day with the first showing at one of the only two IMAX 3D HFR theaters in my whole state. I laughed pretty hard at something, but I don't think it was any of the things that were mentioned. That's going to bug me now. I can't remember what it was.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 8:47pm

Post #10 of 17 (841 views)
Shortcut
We had laughter [In reply to] Can't Post

At bilbo's "not to mention about 100 angry fishermen" comment as well.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 9:22pm

Post #11 of 17 (780 views)
Shortcut
agreed completely [In reply to] Can't Post

I found those two moments the most hilarious of the film by FAR!

My theater also had a good chuckle at Mr. Worrywart's, "Hello, Mr. Bilbo. You're not suppose to be here-you're dead." LOL! Tears were streaming down my face at that point, but I managed a laugh at that despite it!

Alfrid's corset line also got some chuckles, as did the dwarves ducking behind the battlements. And his "Nothing gets by me." "Except an army of elves." LOL....

And there were a few chuckles at Thranduil's eye roll with Gandalf, then looking back at him as though he couldn't have possibly been making faces at him to his back half a second before Wink

But by FAR the biggest laugh everyone got was for Bilbo's "Yish.....sorry about that." Sly

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 10:16pm

Post #12 of 17 (749 views)
Shortcut
Dain's language raised a few chortles [In reply to] Can't Post

when he joined the battle as it was not very Middle-Earthy, more the other kind of earthy!

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 10:38pm

Post #13 of 17 (718 views)
Shortcut
"Yish." [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Fichtenbrenner
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 11:02pm

Post #14 of 17 (678 views)
Shortcut
when the big troll [In reply to] Can't Post

was running towards the wall and fell over after he broke it.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 11:17pm

Post #15 of 17 (677 views)
Shortcut
UK audience - i think i heard one or two sensible chuckles [In reply to] Can't Post

but mostly well behaved and quiet throughout. Full house.

* crunch *

TheHutt
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 11:19pm

Post #16 of 17 (680 views)
Shortcut
In Paris European Premiere... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the biggest laugh was a involuntary grunt by some female fan during Kili's death.

Other than that, it was Bilbo's reaction to Thranduil and his keys. :)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 11:37pm

Post #17 of 17 (651 views)
Shortcut
In my cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Bilbo facing up to Thranduil about the theft of the prison keys, and his small 'Yiss', accompanied by a look of slight amusement/admiration by Thranduil.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.