The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bot5A only once

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Dec 20 2014, 4:32pm

Post #1 of 17 (974 views)
Shortcut
Bot5A only once Can't Post

I've seen my Middlearth-films more than once, but this time (after seeing Bot5A a week ago), i don't feel the need, to watch it again until the EE comes out in 11 months.
It was ok, but nothing more then that.
After seeing every other movie for the first time, I couldn't wait to see it a second, third (AUJ, DoS, RotK) or fourth (FotR, TTT) time.

Does anyone else feel that way?

For your information: I really liked DoS and if someone came with me, I would have watched it a fourth time.

(This post was edited by lidlessEye on Dec 20 2014, 4:32pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 4:37pm

Post #2 of 17 (585 views)
Shortcut
I felt that way... [In reply to] Can't Post

...until my second viewing. Tongue

These films have been unfairly saddled with the expectations of LotR I have brought with me, and none of my first viewings have been all that great.

To be honest, I felt positively miserable throughout most of my first viewing of this film. But my second (and third) viewing yielded an entirely different result. That's just my experience - I'm not saying that will be the case for others. But I didn't really start seeing the movie as it was - rather than what I wanted it to be - until viewing #2.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Dec 20 2014, 4:40pm

Post #3 of 17 (552 views)
Shortcut
Going for the fourth time.... [In reply to] Can't Post

in IMAX 3D on Sunday. Will probably end up going 10 times in all with a variety of family members, friends, and fellow Hobbit fans...

I absolutely love this movie and just can't wait for the EE to come out...Smile

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 17 (497 views)
Shortcut
I am sure i will see it 10 x [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it 3x now and it becomes more and more great.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 4:53pm

Post #5 of 17 (503 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen a film more than once at the cinema for over a decade [In reply to] Can't Post

I often find myself surprised that people (even in large fan bases such as this) have the money/spare time/patience to sit through a a near three hour film so often so quickly, and personally I don't see the attraction, I mean wouldn't that ruin the film a bit seeing it six or seven times in quick succession?

I'd rather wait for the DVD/Blu Ray and rewatch the film at my own leisure without having to fork out for parking, a drink or having noisy teenagers throwing popcorn at each other behind my back (its easier to pick out easter eggs and goofs at home as well), the cinema is expensive enough, so I'd just see another new film instead. Even my favourite films I don't tend to rewatch that often, becoming overly familiar breaks the magic for me a bit

Even if I had been inclined to watch DOS a second time, it was the first film in this franchise I'm honestly not that interested in seeing again, whilst BOTFA just felt rushed.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 4:53pm

Post #6 of 17 (515 views)
Shortcut
It's like EXACTLY like my experience has been [In reply to] Can't Post

It even extends back to LOTR days. Only FOTR was unconditional love on first sight, coz i had no idea what to expect. Not that my TTT and ROTK 1st viewings were bad in any shape or form but there was some stuff that i didn't get warm with initially. Now my 1st viewing of AUJ was just awful, was so disappointed, DOS and BOFA less so but still quite meh. By now i like the Hobbit movies all very much.

In Reply To
...until my second viewing. Tongue

These films have been unfairly saddled with the expectations of LotR I have brought with me, and none of my first viewings have been all that great.

To be honest, I felt positively miserable throughout most of my first viewing of this film. But my second (and third) viewing yielded an entirely different result. That's just my experience - I'm not saying that will be the case for others. But I didn't really start seeing the movie as it was - rather than what I wanted it to be - until viewing #2.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 20 2014, 4:55pm)

smtfhw
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 5:57pm

Post #7 of 17 (431 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a subscription to Cineworld that means I can see as many films as I want as often as I want for £14.00 a month. I don't buy drinks/food at the cinema. Parking is free at both of the nearest cinemas in the chain. So the only thing that I struggle with is time... And if teenagers start being noisy I'm more than capable of getting them to shut up.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 6:04pm

Post #8 of 17 (435 views)
Shortcut
No – I don't feel that way about BoFA [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw AUJ about 15 times and loved it (the LotR films a similar amount of times). I only saw DoS twice in the cinema, since it disappointed me on a couple of major levels (despite the brilliant visuals). I've already seen BoFA twice (48 HFR and IMAX 3D) and plan to see it again within the next few days. I find I notice so much more on subsequent viewings after the first one.

SilentLion
Rivendell

Dec 20 2014, 6:29pm

Post #9 of 17 (414 views)
Shortcut
Though I'm unabashadly a fan of the books, I appreciate the movies for what they are [In reply to] Can't Post

For many years, I dispaired of ever seeing my favorite author's stories come to life on the big screen in a way that would do even partial justice to them. Peter Jackson has lovingly put a great deal of effort into making his movies have look and feel of the Middle Earth that Tolkien described.

As a book fan, I find many of the battle scenes to be "too much" (Tolkien actually described the whole Battle of the Five Armies in about 10 paragraphs), and many of the chase scenes are designed to look like amusement park rides. I can live with that because that is standard for an action adventure movie. Also, The Hobbit is meant to Bilbo's story which has been embellished or exagerated in many of his re-tellings.

I actually like many of the plot additions/changes that the Hobbit movies have added. I thought the treatment of the White Council and Dol Guldor was about right. I liked the addition of love between Tuariel and Kili. Although I thought the movie treatment of Thranduil was a bit too harsh (they robbed him of his best line "Long will I tarry ere I begin this war for gold"), I liked the fact they gave Legolas a reason to be absent from his father's kingdom after the BOTFH. One of the inconsistencies in LOTR that book fans have noticed over the years is that Gimli and Legolas lived maybe only 50 miles apart and yet they had never met before the Council of Elrond. Legolas' absence from Mirkwood solves that problem.

The places where I admit to a little disappointment is a few places where Jackson could have had characters used Tolkien's words exactly as written and it would have been perfect, but replaces them with forgettable Hollywood banalties. Thorin's death is my #1 exhibit. The book words: "Farewell, good thief. I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers, until the world is renewed. Since I leave now all gold and silver, and go to where it is of little worth, I wish to part in friendship from you and would take back my words and deeds at the Gate. There is more of good in you than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But merry or sad, I must leave it now. Farewell." Those 7 sentences bring tears to my eyes every time I read them and would have fit the sequence of events perfectly.

Jackson used a couple of sentence fragments from those lines, but had a five minute festival of maudlin overacting with crying, stuttering and Bilbo searching (and failing) to find the word "friend". That was one scene where I was practically screaming from my seat to let the characters deliver their lines the way Tolkien wrote them.

Overall, the BOTFH wasn't perfect from a book fans point of view, but I still mostly enjoyed it.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 6:39pm

Post #10 of 17 (391 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know Cineworld still did subcritptions... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

That is good value for money so I don't blame you for getting one.

(I don't drive or live near a cineworld so I'm looking at north of £10 for transport and a ticket everytime anyway)

Regardless of not buying concessions or parking, my point still stands, I just don't see what could be fun about seeing a film a dozen times in the space of a few weeks

But each to their own.

(I guess it helps if you love this trilogy, rather than grudingily tolerate most of them like I do, though there are certainly elements I love)

Wink

Silranhir
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 6:42pm

Post #11 of 17 (449 views)
Shortcut
This is the only Middle Earth film... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've seen my Middlearth-films more than once, but this time (after seeing Bot5A a week ago), i don't feel the need, to watch it again until the EE comes out in 11 months.
It was ok, but nothing more then that.
After seeing every other movie for the first time, I couldn't wait to see it a second, third (AUJ, DoS, RotK) or fourth (FotR, TTT) time.

Does anyone else feel that way?

For your information: I really liked DoS and if someone came with me, I would have watched it a fourth time.

I have no desire to see at all. If I want go see computer generated battles in Middle Earth I'd play Shadow of Mordor.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 6:51pm

Post #12 of 17 (401 views)
Shortcut
I'd counsel you not to watch TTT and RotK then...// [In reply to] Can't Post

//

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 20 2014, 6:52pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 6:52pm

Post #13 of 17 (395 views)
Shortcut
Especially ROTK. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both battles of ROTK were at least 95% computer generated.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Dec 20 2014, 6:52pm)

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 7:29pm

Post #14 of 17 (398 views)
Shortcut
When I left the theater yesterday I felt that way, [In reply to] Can't Post

but today I realized that I do want to see it again, so I will go back on Monday.

My first viewing was 3D/48FPS (not IMAX, IMAX showings are way too far away for me), and I will try either 2D or 3D/24fps next.

I can't say I was looking forward to it all that much, was just going to see the end of the story and get it over with. But I realize now that I want to see it again to be able to concentrate on the details more now that I know what happens with the story.

I tried to be as spoiler-free as possible with this movie, didn't read anything at all beforehand, so it was all new to me (well, as much as it could be, having read the book).

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 8:32pm

Post #15 of 17 (356 views)
Shortcut
I kinda had that with DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually I like to go see the Middle-earth movies several times. And I really mean several: FotR 9, TTT 8, RotK 7, and AUJ 8 times, but with DoS I just didn't feel like going. I only got up to 4, which compared to the others is not that many. I was hoping I'd like it more on repeat vieweings but I think the parts I didn't like just ended up bothering me more.

BotFA I'm enjoying a lot, though, and I find it improving on repeat vieweings, so I think I'll probably end up seeing it at least a couple of times more. I've seen it 4 times now and probably would already have gone again if I had time.

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 10:34pm

Post #16 of 17 (311 views)
Shortcut
one thing to consider [In reply to] Can't Post

regarding Tolkien's lines....

As you so aptly put it, that's seven sentences he would have to speak----as he is dying.

If you're dying on a battlefield, and cloying for breath, especially with an abdominal wound (the diaphragm helps you breathe, and is right about where Azog got him), you're going to be hard pressed to get any words out, let alone that many.

Was it a beautiful speech? Absolutely. Would it have been nice to see? By all means, it would have been great.

But from a practical point of view, Thorin was lucky to get as many words out as he did, considering the type of grievous wound he received. I have a feeling the audience would have been sitting there unable to immerse themselves in the words and the beautiful scene because they would have been thinking of how implausible it was that he was still able to talk so well while lying there wounded and dying.

Tolkien was a brilliant linguist, world builder and writer, but he was definitely no physician! Even book Thorin would have been hard pressed to get those words out with his torso filled with spears- from a medical standpoint, those spears would have likely collapsed a lung and he wouldn't have survived long enough to reach his tent, let alone speak seven sentences of apology to Bilbo.

I think that what we had in the film was great, and was more realistic of the injuries and nearness to death that Thorin sustained than the book was, unfortunately Unsure

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 11:27pm

Post #17 of 17 (283 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I was fine with the way the words were done in the movie. I felt most of the lines were in and like you said visually it worked. You are right had it been long and drawn out, as it would have had to have been given the wound and the way the scene was done, it wouldn't have worked as well. This was more realistic.

Oh and I'm so glad they put in Bilbo's lines about it being "more than any Baggins deserves". That was such a sweet line from Bilbo and I'm glad it was left in.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.