The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My Review/The Moments I Loved

Faramir5
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 3:44am

Post #1 of 2 (586 views)
Shortcut
     My Review/The Moments I Loved  

While this is a review, I honestly have to say that there was VERY LITTLE of which I disliked. This post mainly concerns what I loved about it, and I hope that it can serve as a reminder of moments you loved as well. I also made some remarks about the CGI. Please list what you enjoyed as well! I'll include them if I share the same enthusiasm! :)

Just a few moments I LOVED:

1. Galadriel going crazy on Sauron and the Nazgul. As one of the oldest beings in Middle-earth and arguably the most powerful Elf, it seems reasonable that she would have accumulated all that power in her lifetime. I loved how her "state of rage” was similar to Fellowship of the Ring (except it was even more intense here).

2. Alfrid as a constant comic relief through out the movie.

3. Bilbo’s acorn.

4. When Thorin and the others join Dain in battle. I loved how there was no hesitance! They didn't stop once they blasted through the front wall...they just kept going!

5. Legolas jumping on the rocks during his fight with Bolg. Plus it didn't looked super CGI!

6. Beorn’s arrival…though it’s a darn shame we only saw about 5 seconds of him fighting! One of the most bada** moments of the whole film was him transforming in mid air and then wrecking!

7. When Legolas threw Orcrist at an orc to save/help Thorin. This obviously was a returned favor from when Thorin tossed a sword at an orc sneaking up on Legolas in Desolation of Smaug.

8. Azog and Bolg’s deaths. I could go on and on about the little details I loved about these fight scenes and how they died, but I won’t. I will mention, though, that I loved how Thorin threw down his sword and tossed the end of the mace to Azog in an attempt to drown him. I thought that, along with the underwater Azog, was creative and brilliant!

9. All three dwarf-deaths are brilliantly executed (no pun intended). Besides the fact that I already knew who would die, Fili’s death came out of no where. As the first major death, it catches the audience unexpectedly. The best comparison I can think of at the moment is Gwen Stacy’s death in the latest Spiderman movie. The heartbreak of Kili’s death would not exist if not for Tauriel (Sorry, book purists and Tauriel haters, but it’s true. I, for one, love the addition of Tauriel and the romance). I loved how Peter Jackson took his time with that emotional moment between Kili and Tauriel. Tauriel’s final dialogue with Thranduil about love is a nice touch as well. Thorin’s death speech to Bilbo was beautiful. There came a point in the movie where the audience had enough of Thorin’s stupidity and anger…so Thorin’s tender speech was the perfect release of tension that we needed in order for his death to be "satisfying".

10. Thranduil’s reference to Strider (aka Aragorn). I could barely stay in my seat!

11. There was this kind of emotional shock at the end which I absolutely loved! Every character was different because of the battle. Thranduil opens up and is understanding. Legolas isn’t a punk anymore and chooses to start a new life. Tauriel is totally vulnerable and desperate.

12. Ending dialogue from Fellowship of the Ring. - At first I was very worried about the ending... Bilbo taking out his ring and the Corruption of the Ring theme starts playing. I was worried that the movie would end there as a “This story is over, but uh oh! The Ring still exists! Now you have to watch The Lord of the Rings!” As soon as it flash forwarded to Ian Holm as Bilbo and the eery music ceased and Gandalf arrived at the door…I was content as content can be. There couldn’t be a more perfect ending to the Hobbit trilogy (and a great lead into LOTR).

13. Credits: Drawings + Music. Probably the most heartfelt and beautiful credits I've ever sat through.

- - - - - - - -

Positive CGI Moments:

1. You just have to accept that Orlando Bloom is 10+ years older and they did what they could to try to make him look younger.

2. While there were many unbelievable stunts, they didn’t seem as CGI as in the previous two movies. Was Legolas jumping from rock to rock in slow motion ridiculous? Yes. Did it look amazing? YES! Did it give me chills? You bet it did!

3. The elk looked pretty darn real (compared to AUJ)

4. Azog and Bolg looked a lot more raw and real. Especially when Thorin and Azog stab each other…the close up on Azog looks great.

- - - - - - - -

Negative CGI Moments:

1. Dain’s face seemed CGI - especially when he has his helmet on. ***Ok, now I've read that his character was entirely CGI/Motion Capture. That makes sense.

2. Some of the enemy designs (ex: trolls) were a bit far-fetched and too odd looking. CGI and kiddish.

(This post was edited by Faramir5 on Dec 20 2014, 3:46am)

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 20 2014, 4:04am

Post #2 of 2 (290 views)
Shortcut
     Please repost in the sticky review thread a the top of the board. Thanks! // [In reply to]  

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.