Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Insert Tauriel in LOTR??? (PJ interview)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 4:41am

Post #26 of 41 (388 views)
Shortcut
Can people please [In reply to] Can't Post

Stop hating on George Lucas? That got old when it started.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 6:18am

Post #27 of 41 (337 views)
Shortcut
Which fans? Or do I get to add yet another degree of NARF to my credentials? // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 6:49am

Post #28 of 41 (351 views)
Shortcut
He was clearly not serious. [In reply to] Can't Post

He already said he wasn't even crazy about the idea of putting Martin Freeman finding the ring in FotR, let alone adding in another character. I mean what could they really even do, just put her in the background of every shot?

He was certainly not being serious. Just being sarcastic. Can't detect sarcasm when reading text.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 7:07am

Post #29 of 41 (341 views)
Shortcut
If they weren't being serious [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He already said he wasn't even crazy about the idea of putting Martin Freeman finding the ring in FotR, let alone adding in another character. I mean what could they really even do, just put her in the background of every shot?

He was certainly not being serious. Just being sarcastic. Can't detect sarcasm when reading text.

If Peter and Phillipa weren't being serious, they would've clarified that they weren't.

Like her or not, there are in fact legitimate reasons why it makes sense to think about possibly including Tauriel in any potential future re-releases of the LotR Trilogy, some of which were covered by Peter and Phillipa in that interview.

(This post was edited by DigificWriter on Dec 20 2014, 7:15am)

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 7:14am

Post #30 of 41 (326 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson is an extremely sarcastic guy. He says stuff like that all the time. I'm just saying, people are jumping to conclusions when, the way I read it, it doesn't seem like he's being serious.

And I don't mind the character of Tauriel. I just don't think she should be added into an already existing work. Giving her some weird role in a movie that came out a decade ago is worse than adding Hayden Christensen at the end of Return of the Jedi.

A director shouldn't go back and change his movies. I wouldn't even want him to replace Holm with Freeman in that one scene. There's no reason to.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 7:20am

Post #31 of 41 (323 views)
Shortcut
Re: No [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Peter Jackson is an extremely sarcastic guy. He says stuff like that all the time. I'm just saying, people are jumping to conclusions when, the way I read it, it doesn't seem like he's being serious.

Just because you think he and Phillipa were being sarcastic and joking doesn't mean they actually were, and given that this isn't the first time they've talked about possibly adding things to future re-releases of the films in the LotR Trilogy, it's not out of the question to believe that they might very well be considering doing this at some future date.

In Reply To
A director shouldn't go back and change his movies.

I disagree. If Peter wants to at some future date go back and revise his Middle-earth films in order to create greater symmetry between them, that is his prerogative.

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 7:33am

Post #32 of 41 (317 views)
Shortcut
I disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I disagree. If Peter wants to at some future date go back and revise his Middle-earth films in order to create greater symmetry between them, that is his prerogative.

That's where I have a problem with it. As a writer, you honor your original story. If you're going to create a new character for a prequel trilogy that wasn't in your original story, you resolve that character's story in the prequels. You don't go back and add that character into the original.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 7:41am

Post #33 of 41 (309 views)
Shortcut
If it makes sense to change or add something... [In reply to] Can't Post

... there is no reason why a filmmaker or author should not be allowed to do so, particularly since they know their own material far better than anyone else.

Tauriel doesn't necessarily need to be in the LotR films, but if Peter wants to find a way to add her to future re-releases of those films and can do so in a way that makes sense, it is his prerogative to do so, just as it was J.R.R. Tolkien's prerogative to rewrite the Riddles in the Dark chapter of The Hobbit for future publications of that story.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 7:51am

Post #34 of 41 (336 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but from what I understood [In reply to] Can't Post

they were in a different area of the Battle, although in the end near the Gates of Mordor and Thranduil experienced Sauron directly enough to keep a total dread of him, which in the film is used (and it does make an awful lot of sense) to make him the staunch isolationist we see and Legolas grows up with until at the end of BOTFA Thranduil opens up a bit and sends him to meet... we know who!!! Wink

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Lord_Lucan
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 1:13pm

Post #35 of 41 (276 views)
Shortcut
Scenes from the wider War of the Ring? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books, weren't Lothlorien, Rivendell and Erebor/Dale all besieged during a similar time as the events of Return of the King? If there were clips or very short scenes added depicting these battles at some point, that would be the time to add any surviving Hobbit characters imo (including Dain and Thranduil and such like)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2014, 2:11pm

Post #36 of 41 (253 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

..his first answer is serious. In the sense that if he knew then what he knows now, he would have added Tauriel to LotR in some way. He has said before that he thinks of these films as one long 6 part movie, and she is a notable character in installments 2 and 3 of it who, the way things stand, vanishes without a trace or explanation in 4-6. (Though it is easy to imagine based on the end of Bo5A TE that she is in Mirkwood, reconciled with Thranduil and serving him as a Captain as before, as the war heats up there as well).

In the EE extras, Jackson not infrequently jokes about things he could/would do in some super extended ultimate 50th anniversary edition. I took the second part of his remarks in that same spirit.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 2:37pm

Post #37 of 41 (267 views)
Shortcut
It is clear Tolkien made a mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

by forgetting about Tauriel in his books, as from the movies we now know she was there ( grin )

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 3:46pm

Post #38 of 41 (236 views)
Shortcut
A spirit of lighthearted musing does not equal joking [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the EE extras, Jackson not infrequently jokes about things he could/would do in some super extended ultimate 50th anniversary edition. I took the second part of his remarks in that same spirit.

Peter has engaged in lighthearted musings about possible alterations to his pre-existing films, yes, but that spirit of lightheartedness does not automatically mean he's joking about actually making said changes.

The very fact that it gets brought up - even in a lighthearted fashion - as often as it does tells me that there's more to it than what some people want to believe.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 7:55pm

Post #39 of 41 (211 views)
Shortcut
Oh god no. Please no. // [In reply to] Can't Post

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2014, 6:34pm

Post #40 of 41 (167 views)
Shortcut
I will screencap your post, [In reply to] Can't Post

and post it on this forum when a version of LotR is released with Tauriel in them Wink

Vocalist of the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2014, 3:01am

Post #41 of 41 (148 views)
Shortcut
It's not about what I want. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be *delighted* to have a super-extra-extended edition of LotR, with or without some reference to Tauriel in it. Though perhaps not a 50th edition, as I would be getting on in years by then.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.