Have just come back from seeing BoFA a second time
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 4:00am

Post #51 of 60 (316 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry, I haven't seen it yet either, [In reply to] Can't Post

and probably won't manage it until next week once I hit holiday mode up north. We can be late together. Cool

Kim
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 7:02am

Post #52 of 60 (330 views)
Shortcut
Just got back from my second viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Some thoughts:
It felt even shorter this time, just not enough time with our favorite characters and this world in general
Fili's death hurts more the second time
Kili's death hurts more the second time
Thorin's death hurts more the second time (yet somehow, I'm still in denial that it actually happened)
The lump in my throat was twice as big
Your 3D glasses do indeed fog up when you cry and make the discreet use of your tissue more difficult.

The audience tonight was a little more expressive than the more reverent silence of the marathon crowd. Tonight, there was even more audible shock when Fili was killed, and when Thorin stepped off the ice and let Azog slide into the water, there were cheers and applause and the general feeling of "well, the 2 earlier deaths hit hard, but Thorin is victorious!." But then, I could hear the rustling when Thorin collapsed and during his speech to Bilbo, I could hear them thinking, "wait a minute, this sounds like a deathbed speech, he's not going to die, is he? is he!?" Followed by a lot of sniffling. Unsure

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 8:15am

Post #53 of 60 (319 views)
Shortcut
On a lighter note, this was at my theater tonight: [In reply to] Can't Post

Balloon Gandalf Laugh

#OneLastTime

sharku
Rivendell

Dec 20 2014, 10:08am

Post #54 of 60 (283 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked it very much too... some niggles - there always are in a PJ ME film - even the hallowed FOTR:EE.

But the positive ledger far outweighed the niggles for me, and the ending/segue was perfect. The EE for this one will be really important at overcoming the niggles - am already looking forward to it.

In terms of tech - we're fortunate to be able to see it at our local theatre i.e. the Embassy in Wellington (aka the House that Pete built). Great big screen, Dolby Atmos and HFR 3D :)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 10:33am

Post #55 of 60 (281 views)
Shortcut
Aww! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just too cute!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 11:15am

Post #56 of 60 (282 views)
Shortcut
I know I've said it before, Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

But you have such a wonderful way of expressing yourself. In fact, I've copied and pasted your post here just to see it again!

The thing is, you have to catch every opportunity to see the film, don't you – after all, it could disappear very quickly. Medication: I think I need those pints (or wine in my case, which is my usual tipple). I woke up in the middle of the night thinking of Thorin. What a nutter (me, not Thorin)!

In Reply To
Just happens to have my second favorite theaterEvil. So convenient when the dragon-sickness is like a fever, e.g., seeing a film and *cough* coming back later and seeing it again in one day.Cool

(OK, sue me, I loved DOSTongueTongueTongue. And that little voice starts upCrazy "you know you want to, and you didn't quite catch EVERYTHING in that scene, and you know, it will be MONTHS and MONTHS before the DVD comes out, and it will never be this good again, and isn't it kind of stupid to leave and then come back another day, when you are here, RIGHT NOW, and it's playing in your *special* theater with the cushy seats, isn't it time to be good to YOU, some people blow money on cars and music and whatever, you are CERTAINLY entitled, after all it's the weekend - go on, do it, just put the card in the machine, it's so EASY and you can have what you want...")

AhemAngelic. So as Hobbititis/Thorinitis goes, I'm firmly in the *acute* phase. But I have medication now. It comes in pints.Wink

I don't like all of BotfA but the first half at least is, for me, almost flawless and purely enjoyable. And like Richard Armitage said, it rips your heart out. At least mine, every time I see it.

Ditto.Cool

Heart

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 1:15pm

Post #57 of 60 (270 views)
Shortcut
WOOT, WOODY..wooooT..!!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 1:30pm

Post #58 of 60 (269 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Glorfindela. This give me hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that my feelings about it will get better with the second viewing. Though my first was in 3D, and the second will be 3d HFR. Sure hope it's not a step back.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXVIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 5:10pm

Post #59 of 60 (237 views)
Shortcut
Hooray, we can be a tardy party of two! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did actually see it last night, but with too much Real Life going on I missed an awful lot I fear. Will have to try again soon to grasp it all.
Have wonderful fun in Holiday Mode, m'dear!

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 6:27pm

Post #60 of 60 (236 views)
Shortcut
I will be sure to wear that lovely hat [In reply to] Can't Post

to the movie. Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.