The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Azog and Bolg

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 6:23am

Post #1 of 10 (664 views)
Shortcut
Azog and Bolg Can't Post

Azog - So this character use to cause a lot of controversy. Do you like him more or less since the initial Hobbit film? I'm not as big a fan of the guy as some, but I've always liked him even with poor CGI in film one. Did any haters turn to likers? Or did they become even greater haters?

Bolg - The badass orc we saw in film one that we thought was Bolg, was reduced to CGI in film two, but has become a pretty major player in the overall trilogy. His switch to CGI also caused much controversy. How do you think he turned out?

Edit: To add I liked them and enjoyed their presence, although controversial. Azog more than Bolg, because, well, let's face it...We got much less of Bolg in the trilogy, and I personally wasn't a fan of his CGI.

(This post was edited by Elskidor on Dec 19 2014, 6:25am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 7:23am

Post #2 of 10 (384 views)
Shortcut
For myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer Azog to Bolg, and think that visually he has been impressive from the start. He's a real character, and I like the deep voice and the way he moves.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 7:33am

Post #3 of 10 (366 views)
Shortcut
I like both, but do wish... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that their familial connection had been addressed in dialogue.

Design-wise, I think Bolg is slightly cooler, and very much enjoyed his rivalry of sorts with Legolas. I also liked the morbidly poignant symmetry of him killing Kili while his father killed Fili.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 7:37am

Post #4 of 10 (341 views)
Shortcut
LOVE BOTH [In reply to] Can't Post

There were seriously some shots where Bolg looked downright terrifying! Bolg's armor was awesome as well. Azog was at his best in this film, like Bolg, loved him all armored up. Btw, the original Bolg was killed by Galadriel.

The flames of war are upon you..

Osskil
Bree

Dec 19 2014, 7:46am

Post #5 of 10 (363 views)
Shortcut
Can someone explain... [In reply to] Can't Post

For my part, I enjoyed them well enough, but neither made the impact on me that, say, Lurtz did. I thought the final fight with Azog was great, though.

But can anyone explain why they almost completely jettisoned the original storyline? There was an opportunity for a really great villain in Bolg--his father dead, seeking revenge on dwarves in a way that paralleled the death of Thorin's grandfather by Azog. That could have been such a powerful story.

(This post was edited by Osskil on Dec 19 2014, 7:46am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 7:55am

Post #6 of 10 (352 views)
Shortcut
I agree, the fight between Aragorn and Lurtz [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed more "real" to me than the final clashes with Azog and Bolg but probably this is due to Lurtz was not CGI and there were some serious hand-to-hand combat. The Azog/Thorin fight was Azog hitting everything but Thorin with his block attached to the chain.

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 19 2014, 7:56am)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 9:52am

Post #7 of 10 (257 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There was an opportunity for a really great villain in Bolg--his father dead, seeking revenge on dwarves in a way that paralleled the death of Thorin's grandfather by Azog. That could have been such a powerful story.

This is what I've been saying all along. I can completely understand the need to have some sort of main villain, especially for film one, that is antagonistic throughout the quest. What better character other than Bolg?! It just seems like when you look at the story he would be the logical one to expand and include in the trilogy rather than Azog, because the end result would be not having to change a huge part of the storyline.

As far as Azog and Bolg go:

First, I'm not a fan of the CGI. At first I didn't like the prosthetic Bolg, but he grew on me. Either way I much preferred him to the CGI Bolg. the prosthetics has a sense of weight and realism that the CGI just hasn't been able to capture yet. Additionally, I just liked the original Bolg design a lot better. I honestly think he looked more related to Azog than the CGI one? And it looks like the CGI one has armor actually imbedded in his chest. That just looks silly to me.

I wasn't a huge fan of the characteristics of Azog or Bolg. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything really special to me.

I will say that even though I'm not a big fan of the use of CGI, I thought Azog's final design was great. He's huge, and pale which is different from most orcs we've seen. He just has an overall imposing look to him.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Orc Berserker
Bree

Dec 19 2014, 6:56pm

Post #8 of 10 (160 views)
Shortcut
Connection is confirmed on film [In reply to] Can't Post

Legloas says to Tauriel that he knows who Bolg is and where he is heading.

He says that he is the "Spawn of Azog" and Commander at Mount Gundabad, and recognised the "mark of Gundabad"

That's why they decide to go and scout it out.

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 10:21pm

Post #9 of 10 (139 views)
Shortcut
My only gripe with either [In reply to] Can't Post

is who killed whom. I think I was a little unreasonably angry when I watched BOTFA because I desperately wanted it to go down like this:

Azog and Thorin face off. Fili and Kili rush to defend him. Bolg jumps in and attacks them, ultimately kills them both as they try to get to Thorin's side. Bolg turns to attack Thorin, but Beorn jumps in and bites at his head, perhaps holding his head in his mouth and attacking him with his claws. It should be pretty quick, but a powerful moment. Azog and Thorin continue fighting. Someone points this out to Dain, and he starts running over to help. Before he makes it, Azog deals a fatal blow. Thorin falls to the ground, barely hanging on. Before Azog can decapitate him like he did with Thror, Dain flings himself on Azog and they scuffle desperately. Finally Dain succeeds in killing Azog. Then he rushes to Thorin's side, and Thorin asks about Fili and Kili. Dain reports that they're dead, and Thorin then passes the crown over to Dain.

This is the vision I had before seeing the movie, and I was very disappointed to see what actually happened. But I'll get over it.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 10:34pm

Post #10 of 10 (127 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

was pretty positive Azog and Thorin would have a final showdown that ended in both of their lives, for they laid the ground work for this in movie one. However, I was really hoping it would not be a Legolas/Bolg showdown. It was clear as day, after DoS, this was likely how it would play out, but for some reason I thought it might play out differently. Looking at it now it makes sense that it unfolded the way it did. It matches the story given in the other two films, although Beorn and Dain were both robbed. Maybe in the EE these two will do some pretty spectacular stuff to make up for it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.