Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is Mikael Persbrandt's recent drug bust (spoilers)...

StarGodziller
Bree

Dec 19 2014, 5:50am

Post #1 of 15 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Is Mikael Persbrandt's recent drug bust (spoilers)... Can't Post

Perhaps the reason why Beorn has such little screen time? Maybe he was unavailable for post production ADR or something because of his conviction.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 5:55am

Post #2 of 15 (855 views)
Shortcut
Given... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that we've heard from interviews that there will be much more Beorn in the Extended Cut, I don't think so. For some reason, PJ was just consumed with getting this film as short and snappy as possible (if its brevity was meant to win over critics, it failed).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 19 2014, 5:57am)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 5:59am

Post #3 of 15 (786 views)
Shortcut
If anything, it backfired... [In reply to] Can't Post

It appears the most prominent issue critics and fans have with the movie is the rushed ending and unresolved character threads! Poor PJ. He just can't win.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 6:11am

Post #4 of 15 (702 views)
Shortcut
Not only the... [In reply to] Can't Post

... ending (which I have to say was probably the most enjoyable part of the movie for me, despite the rush to the finish) - the whole thing just felt a bit thin. Chunks of lines and shots from the trailer missing, plot threads sped through, etc. The fact that the film still felt cohesive is probably a miracle, and I still very much enjoyed it (at least on my second viewing - in 2D). But, as with the previous two films, I have this feeling that I won't be getting the "real" film until next year. It's unfortunate, because I never felt that way about the LotR Theatrical Cuts. Even when you could tell that things had been held over for the EE, the films still felt wholly satisfying on their own.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 7:25am

Post #5 of 15 (599 views)
Shortcut
WELL IT WAS .. [In reply to] Can't Post

RUSHED and there was no depth to Radagast and Beorn arriving at the very end. And where was the Lord of the Eagles?? PJ said we would see the Lord of the Eagles in this film?? PJ also said the orcs would have something "special" to counter the eagles and that never happened either…I'm beginning to think PJ has a serious case of peer pressure over what the critics think but what he doesn't understand is that they will criticize his films no matter how short or how long they are! PJ's crush on Legolas sure materialized in this film too, he was almost the main character in the film.

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 19 2014, 7:29am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 7:34am

Post #6 of 15 (606 views)
Shortcut
Beorn will be in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Recently PJ said there will be around 10 minutes of Beorn in the EE but whether this is human Beorn or bear Beorn he did not say.

Saneliur
Bree

Dec 19 2014, 8:56am

Post #7 of 15 (511 views)
Shortcut
Which interview was that in? [In reply to] Can't Post

Been looking without any luck..

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 9:00am

Post #8 of 15 (517 views)
Shortcut
The critics? They still say overlong! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm struggling to find the issues you mention in critics' reviews at all, let alone as their main concern. Reading through the negative ones now, instead the consistent perception seems to be that the film is still too long and too bloated - especially the battle itself.

adt100
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 10:04am

Post #9 of 15 (468 views)
Shortcut
He was never going to win with the critics this time around I feel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Long or short. It matters not though, the films are made, those that enjoy them will continue to do so and vice versa. The EE should be a treat for the fans.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 1:04pm

Post #10 of 15 (382 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It appears the most prominent issue critics and fans have with the movie is the rushed ending and unresolved character threads! Poor PJ. He just can't win.

None of the critics I've seen say that. They just seem complain that it's got too much padding. This all stems from their prejudice against the fact it comes from one book, they can't seem to accept that the filmmakers have added story threads to expand it.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 3:19pm

Post #11 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
The critics may still be complaining - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but it's nothing compared to what would have happened if PJ had cut less out (some critics actually praised his 'restraint').

Also what people here refer to as 'depth' in a movie is often called 'the boring bits' by others.

PJ did the best he could, considering the circumstances. He probably wasn't happy about but he tried to give mainstream audiences a movie that they could enjoy without to sit through too many 'unnecessary' scenes.

Also he may have deliberately left some 'good bits' for the EE.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 5:48pm

Post #12 of 15 (287 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson On The Extended Edition Of ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ [In reply to] Can't Post

“The extended cut, which will be about 30 minutes longer,” Jackson said. “[And] will have additional Beorn scenes and we meet the Lord of the Eagles."

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 19 2014, 5:53pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 5:12am

Post #13 of 15 (189 views)
Shortcut
30 minutes? That's it? :( [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie coukd have used an extra hour imo

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 5:35am

Post #14 of 15 (186 views)
Shortcut
well its still more than we got for AUJ and DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Dec 20 2014, 2:32pm

Post #15 of 15 (162 views)
Shortcut
I still can't help... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but think that making the theatrical cuts of these latter 2 films shorter was more or less mandated on PJ by Warners as sort of a knee-jerk reaction to all the criticisms of AUJ's runtime. Crazy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.