The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Balin, Lord of Moria

emre43
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 10:19am

Post #1 of 7 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Balin, Lord of Moria Can't Post

Balin was Lord of Moria until his death in TA 2994. But, given he died relatively early in the Goblin's rebellion against the Dwarvish colony, was a new Lord elected. At the very least, a new leader, must have been elected, as leadership is the first thing you need in a situation like that which the Dwarves found themselves in,

squire
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 12:51pm

Post #2 of 7 (1095 views)
Shortcut
There's no mention of any successor [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an interesting question, but I would venture that whoever led the Dwarves after Balin's death was a de facto dictator-type war leader, who would not be honored with the title "Lord of Moria" until and unless he led the tribe to victory and a reestablishment of dwarven rule.

I like your characterization of the goblins' (and balrog's?) attack on the dwarves as a "rebellion against the Dwarvish colony". It brings up real-world images of various native peoples around the world who massacred European settlers in their long-held homelands. Kind of makes us think that maybe the orcs were right, and the dwarves were wrong. Not exactly what Tolkien, that old South African-born child of Empire, had in mind, maybe. .. or maybe not.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 8:54pm

Post #3 of 7 (1038 views)
Shortcut
I agree with squire. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was probably some de-facto leadership in place, but it was probably the most experienced fighter-- given the circumstances. They would not necessarily have been called 'Lord of Moria', nor would they have succeeded to the lordship if they had survived. It was a choice made of dire necessity and for a limited time to counter a present danger.

I imagine that if they received a title, it was similar in function to 'General' or 'Grand General', 'Provisional Dictator' or another-- one that was obviously temporary but total in authority.

Really though, the Dwarves do not strike me as much for naming or ceremony. I think that the most experienced warrior might just have picked up an axe and yelled, 'Let's get 'em'. Laugh It migh not have been exactly that uncouth, (perhaps a war council of senior Dwarves took place) but it is what I assume likely to have happened.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 1:27am

Post #4 of 7 (1023 views)
Shortcut
"Let's get 'em!" [In reply to] Can't Post

The preferred war cry of Skandian raiders everywhere.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 2:54am

Post #5 of 7 (1016 views)
Shortcut
All as it was intended to be. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just knew someone here would get it!

I thought it'd be you Werde Spinner, but alas. I've not heard from her for a good long while. Frown She's the one that made the original recommendation of the books that got me interested.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 6:01am

Post #6 of 7 (1029 views)
Shortcut
I've been rereading the whole series over the [In reply to] Can't Post

last couple of weeks. Finished Halt's Peril yesterday, then today I switched to Brotherband and read most of The Outcasts. So the words were fresh in my mind.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

emre43
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 9:02am

Post #7 of 7 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with both of you. I would imagine that whoever was leader was one of those mentioned by Ori in the Book of Mazarbul, as I would have thought only those deemed prominent dwarves would have been named.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.