The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is Dain CG?

Scourge of the Stoors
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 7:54am

Post #1 of 11 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Is Dain CG? Can't Post

I couldn't really tell. Something seemed a bit too animated about his facial movements though.

Fleuz
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 7:56am

Post #2 of 11 (677 views)
Shortcut
mostly real [In reply to] Can't Post

Just right before he meets Thorin on the battlefield, when he head-bangs some orks, he's CG.
All other shots seemed real to me.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Dec 18 2014, 8:08am

Post #3 of 11 (721 views)
Shortcut
In the WETA Book [In reply to] Can't Post

Chronicles: Art and Design: Battle of the Five Armies, it is confirmed that he was originally prosthetic, but then they decided to make him CGI to allow more of Billy Connelly's performance to shine through.

So yes, he is CGI.

And looks awesome.

adt100
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 9:45am

Post #4 of 11 (587 views)
Shortcut
In a couple of shots [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still 100% convinced he's real.... the few very short, very tight close ups when he's riding into battle shouting orders. There's just a slight rougher, gritter look and the lighting isn't quite the same. I had also thought he was real when he met Thorin on the battlefield. Obviously not. Just goes to show how good a job Weta actually did!

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 10:35am

Post #5 of 11 (553 views)
Shortcut
The fact that we can't say makes me wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the film last week and I looked at Dain carefully since I read some earlier reviews describing him as a CGI character. Even with that in mind I couldn't tell. It's very well done!

That's why we wonder: WHY DO WE EVEN CARE? It's clearly Billy Connolly. It's his face. His voice. It's his temper. Even if it's (partly) CGI it is such a good work of WETA that we can't even tell... So enjoy Dain!

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

dungolfin
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 10:45am

Post #6 of 11 (529 views)
Shortcut
More GW than CG [In reply to] Can't Post

He's 99% Games Workshop and almost completely CGI but Billy Connolly is under there somewhere. Loved his entrance, enjoyed his dialogue but ended up rolling my eyes at the totally unconvincing head butts as it descended into Xbox mode.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 11:02am

Post #7 of 11 (466 views)
Shortcut
I so much agree with you!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

After weeks of this question popping up again and again on this Board and the clear conclusion of the discussion every time is that it's really Billy Conolly all right, with just some (excellent) CGI here and there on occasion, I wonder why this question is still not out of the way and it still seems to be a matter of concern to some people. Shocked
I for one, when I finally see the film, will just relish his performance to the full as you rightly recommend!!! Wink

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 12:15pm

Post #8 of 11 (424 views)
Shortcut
I thought GW meant Glaswegian [In reply to] Can't Post

But that too.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 2:29pm

Post #9 of 11 (329 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! Excellent.// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Osskil
Bree

Dec 18 2014, 3:47pm

Post #10 of 11 (329 views)
Shortcut
Almost entirely CG [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially in the close ups where he faces off with Gandalf, as well as later in the battle, Dain was entirely CG.

There were a couple shots of him with his helmet off that were mostly or all real, but all of the initial stuff was computer built when his riding down the hill with his lines behind him and talking to the Elves.

It was well enough done, but it was still extremely jarring. The uncanny valley effect was in full swing, I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good job. But it couldn't help but be noticable; photoreal human faces are still a very tough thing to do in a computer, especially on what it sounds like make have been short notice. His movements were also wrong--very fluid, like his head was on a ball joint, which gave it away.

Similar happens with the dwarves surrounding Thorin at the end and Gandalf getting off the bunny sled in Mirkwood. The movements give away the CG, even if it's still very good. :)

(This post was edited by Osskil on Dec 18 2014, 3:50pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 5:40pm

Post #11 of 11 (276 views)
Shortcut
It's quite simple [In reply to] Can't Post

In most shots he is fully digital.

But in a couple of shots on the battlefield with Thorin he is live action/prosthetics. This I am completely sure of.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.