The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Well, here we are. December 18 is tomorrow and BOFA will be out

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 2:16am

Post #1 of 5 (370 views)
Shortcut
Well, here we are. December 18 is tomorrow and BOFA will be out Can't Post

So this is it. But not for Middle-Earth. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies comes out tomorrow, and we'll all be seeing it. Hopefully we will all love it.
There have been changes made to the film adaptation, some we don't mind, others we completely loathe. I still don't like Tauriel, I don't like Alfrid, and I don't really care for Bard's kids. But the last film comes out tomorrow, and hopefully it will turn out well for us all, and that it will be so good, the other negative aspects can be overlooked. One can only hope.
This is Jackson's last run in Middle-Earth. But it's not the end of Middle-Earth. There will always be the novels. The Lord of the Rings films are still some of the best films made. And who knows? In the future someone else might adapt the Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings. This is an occasion for us all.
In 2012 and 2013, the day before the release of each Hobbit film, I posted a music message. This is my last music message for the third and final Hobbit film. This song is one of my favorites. It's uplifting and hopefully will help us all be able to cope with the end of the Hobbit films, as well as anything that might be going on in your life, to which you need to be uplifted. This is a 90's anthem from 1999. I've loved it since I was 10 years old when I first heard it.
"You Get What You Give" by New Radicals. Enjoy everybody! Here's hoping BOFA will not disappoint.

http://grooveshark.com/...ou+Give/5bcfeQ?src=5

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:41am

Post #2 of 5 (229 views)
Shortcut
hey it's out! [In reply to] Can't Post

And while I ( who was born the same year LOTR was) will always love the books, re-read the books, and draw my main characterization of Legolas and Elves in particular from the books (thoroughly plugged into the natural world, saying things like "there is too little here that grows and is glad"), I love the films, especially the way the Hobbit films enlarge and expand a very simply outlines oral tradition fairy tale.

I happen to love Tauriel (that's who I was the entire decade of my 20s, while playing D&D and doing historical recreation), like Bard's kids, and want to throw Alwhatitz off a cliff, have dissertated on bunny sleds, cheer the bending of the laws of physics by Elves (does this looketh like a video game?), and wish maybe they'd been just a wee bit more sympathetic to Thranduil. Battle Boars rock, Megaloceros rules, and the Dwarves mounts give new meaning to the tagline Ram tough.

And Azog's Wil E Coyote moment with ice....

I will say no more, lest there be spoilers.

OK, whose going to do a tale from the Silmarillion....

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 1:31pm

Post #3 of 5 (139 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to wait until Monday before [In reply to] Can't Post

I start considering the Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic and IMDb scores. Until then the scores will be going up and down and making us seasick.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:07pm

Post #4 of 5 (118 views)
Shortcut
here, have a barf bag... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and head for the middle of the ship and stare at the unmoving horizon....

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 2:25am

Post #5 of 5 (108 views)
Shortcut
It is? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it came out today...I probably won't be seeing yet till the coming weeks though.
I never played D&D, and the only videogames I play are Mario and Zelda...so yeah. I still wish there was more Thranduil and less Tauriel. And Alfrid. And Bard's kids. I have an aversion to characters who didn't originally exist in the books. It's nothing personal to anyone. It did leave me disillusioned though : /

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.