The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Bell!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 6:49pm

Post #1 of 12 (1010 views)
Shortcut
The Bell! Can't Post

I thought I must just mention that – I thought it was a brilliant stroke when Smaug was attacking Lake-town. I can well imagine that bells rang out during the Great Fire of London in 1666 (there were dozens of churches in the comparatively small area that was the City, most of which were destroyed by the fire, including St Paul's Cathedral). Those scenes of Lake-town burning reminded me of how the medieval City of London may have looked during the Great Fire. Indeed, there are paintings of the Fire, and from these it appears that it was a mighty conflagration…

Just a random thought.Smile

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 17 2014, 7:00pm

Post #2 of 12 (525 views)
Shortcut
agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

It was very realistic

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 7:07pm

Post #3 of 12 (496 views)
Shortcut
Loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

The constant bell ringing and alarm going off as it clanged. It was the perfect use of it.

I also liked them using the big bell in Erebor to bust open the wall. Good use of bells in this film!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Scourge of the Stoors
Rivendell

Dec 17 2014, 8:32pm

Post #4 of 12 (429 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't too much a fan of it [In reply to] Can't Post

How are Bard and Bain not deaf after that? Standing under that bell, I mean.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 8:37pm

Post #5 of 12 (414 views)
Shortcut
bell on laketown and BELL on erebor, BELLS OF FATE! [In reply to] Can't Post

it seemed that PJ wanted to told us how important where the events that take place in BOTFA to the history of middle earth

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 8:44pm

Post #6 of 12 (396 views)
Shortcut
and a better depiction [In reply to] Can't Post

of Dunne's classic there could not be.

For Whom the Bell tolls indeed.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 17 2014, 9:16pm

Post #7 of 12 (376 views)
Shortcut
You do have to wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

...who is ringing this bell in lieu of running from the dragon. Especially since the emergency is kind of a hard one to miss. But the effect is cool enough to grant cinematic license.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 9:22pm

Post #8 of 12 (356 views)
Shortcut
That reminds of a role [In reply to] Can't Post

Actor Ray Henwood was originally cast as "Old Bellringer" before he was changed to "Net Mender." I wonder if the former role will appear in the EE.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 11:37pm

Post #9 of 12 (303 views)
Shortcut
I do believe [In reply to] Can't Post

…that in the past bells were rung as warnings of approaching danger to the inhabitants of towns and cities. Some brave souls would probably continue ringing them in the face of danger.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 11:53pm

Post #10 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
especially for fires [In reply to] Can't Post

Bells were rung for fires across towns to get the men to assemble and to the Wells to draw water. I found the bell for lake town haunting in that respect as well as for the danger of the dragon itself

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2014, 1:23am

Post #11 of 12 (286 views)
Shortcut
That was the other great thing about it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was deafening for anyone standing on the tower, which is why Bard cuts the bellrope very soon after he comes up (before Bain comes up) and the bell stops ringing. I thought that was a nice touch of practical realism there.

How are Bard and Bain not deaf after that? Standing under that bell, I mean.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

smtfhw
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 7:30am

Post #12 of 12 (248 views)
Shortcut
Agreeing with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that was a very good touch. The last thing you want when everything is going to hell in a handbasket is something loud going off above your head (and causing vibrations when you really need a steady hand).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.