Dec 17 2014, 5:52pm

Post #1 of 7 (686 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 17 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 17, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The time had come for planning.
(not from the appendices)
..."The hobbits had been nearly two months in the House of Elrond, and November had gone by with the last shreds of autumn, and December was passing, when the scouts began to return....
...In no region had the messengers discovered any signs or tidings of the Riders or other servants of the Enemy. Even from the Eagles of the Misty Mountains they had learned no fresh news. Nothing had been seen or heard of Gollum... ...Three of the black horses had been found at once drowned in the flooded Ford. On the rocks of the rapids below it searchers discovered the bodies of five more, and also a long black cloak, slashed and tattered. Of the Black Riders no other trace was to be seen, and nowhere was their presence to be felt. It seemed that they had vanished from the North.
...'Eight out of the Nine are accounted for at least,' said Gandalf. 'It is rash to be too sure, yet I think that we may hope now that the Ringwraiths were scattered, and have been obliged to return as best they could to their Master in Mordor, empty and shapeless... ... it will be some time before they can begin the hunt again. Of course the Enemy has other servants, but they will have to journey all the way to the borders of Rivendell before they can pick up our trail. And if we are careful that will be hard to find. But we must delay no longer.'"

December 17, 2003 – It was a Wednesday.
1. The Return of the King
(not from the appendices-no text)
...A film depicting events within the War of the Ring was released to the world on this day. It presents the Shire Hobbits' involvement in the struggle, Gandalf the White's interventions, kingly acts by a risen Elessar, and a myriad of deadly and heroic deeds by those who chose what to do with the time that was given to them.

The Return of the King
The Return of the King
The Return of the King
Boxoffice Mojo for RotK

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 18 2014, 10:42am

Post #2 of 7 (599 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 18, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Sam home in the Shire.
..."All thing now went well, with hope always of becoming still better; and Sam was as busy and as full of delight as even a hobbit could wish. Nothing for him marred that whole year, except for some vague anxiety about his master."

December 18, 2002 – It was a Wednesday, again.
1. The Two Towers
...A film depicting events evolving from the parting of the Fellowship during the War of the Ring was released to the world on this day. It presents the Shire Hobbits' departure from the protection and guidance of Aragorn, Son of Arathorn, and Gandalf the Grey. Various members of the Fellowship visit the realms of Rohan, Gondor, Mordor, Fangorn and Isengard.

The Two Towers
The Two Towers
The Two Towers
Boxoffice Mojo for Two Towers

December 18, 2002 (11:25 am)
1. ANNOUNCEMENT by TheOneRing.net's Xoanon
...Peter Jackson to Produce The Hobbit and its sequel 12/18/07 at 11:25am by Xoanon

December 18th, 2007 by Xoanon
Peter Jackson to Produce The Hobbit and its sequel 12/18/07 at 11:25am by Xoanon
PETER JACKSON AND NEW LINE CINEMA JOIN WITH MGM TO PRODUCE "THE HOBBIT" MOVIE

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2014, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 7 (594 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 19, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The time had come for planning.
(not from the appendices-determined from text)
..."Elrond summoned the hobbits to him. He looked gravely at Frodo. 'The time has come... ...If the Ring is to set out, it must go soon. But those who go with it must not count on their errand being aided by war or force. They must pass into the domain of the Enemy far from aid. Do you still hold to your word, Frodo, that you will be the Ring-bearer?'
...'I do,' said Frodo. 'I will go with Sam.'
...'Then I cannot help you much, not even with counsel... ...I can foresee very little of your road; and how your task is to be achieved I do not know. The Shadow has crept now to the feet of the Mountains, and draws nigh even to the borders of the Greyflood; and under the Shadow all is dark to me. You will meet many foes, some open, and some disguised; and you may find friends upon your way when you least look for it. I will send out messages, such as I can contrive, to those whom I know in the wide world....
...'...And I will choose you companions to go with you, as far as they will or fortune allows. The number must be few, since your hope is in speed and secrecy. Had I a host of Elves in armour of the Elder Days, it would avail little, save to arouse the power of Mordor.
...'The Company of the Ring shall be Nine... ...the Nine Walkers shall be set against the Nine Riders that are evil. With you and your faithful servant, Gandalf will go for this shall be his great task, and maybe the end of his labours.
...'For the rest, they shall represent the other Free Peoples of the World: Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Legolas shall be for the Elves; and Gimli son of Glóin for the Dwarves. They are willing to go at least to the passes of the Mountains, and maybe beyond. For men you shall have Aragorn son of Arathorn, for the Ring of Isildur concerns him closely.'
...'Strider!' cried Frodo.
...'Yes,' he said with a smile. 'I ask leave once again to be your companion, Frodo.'
...'I would have begged you to come,... ...only I thought you were going to Minas Tirith with Boromir.'
...'I am,' said Aragorn. 'And the Sword-that-was-Broken shall be re-forged ere I set out to war. But your road and our road lie together for many hundreds of miles. Therefore Boromir will also be in the Company. He is a valiant man.'
...'There remains two more to be found... ...These I will consider. Of my household I may find some that it seems good to me to send.'
...'But that will leave no place for us!' cried Pippin in dismay. 'We don't want to be left behind. We want to go with Frodo.'
...'That is because you do not understand and cannot imagine what lies ahead,' said Elrond.
...'Neither does Frodo,' said Gandalf, unexpectedly supporting Pippin. 'Nor do any of us see clearly. It is true that if these hobbits understood the danger, they would not dare to go. But they would still wish to go, or wish that they dared, and be shamed and unhappy. I think... ...that in this matter it would be well to trust rather to their friendship than to great wisdom. Even if you choose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire by the power that is in him.'
...'You speak gravely,' said Elrond, 'but I am in doubt. The Shire, I forebode, is not free now from peril; and these two I had thought to send back there as messengers, to do what they could, according to the fashion of their country, to warn the people of their danger... ...I judge that the younger of these two, Peregrin Took, should remain. My heart is against his going.'
...'Then, Master Elrond, you will have to lock me in prison, or send me home tied in a sack,' said Pippin, 'For otherwise I shall follow the Company.'
...'Let it be so then. You shall go,' said Elrond, and he sighed. 'Now the tale of Nine is filled.'"

December 19, 2001 – Wednesday once more.
1. Release of The Fellowship of the Ring
(not from the appendices-but who cares!?)
...A film depicting events within the world of Middle-earth and its various kindred and creatures. The ultimate story of good versus evil, Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantastic tale is released on the world.
...Little did they know what was about to be unleashed. A small, remote, peaceful realm that caused the powerful to look up and the citizenry everywhere to find hope and refuge. Whether you want to call it Middle-earth or New Zealand is up to you... a journey for faithful readers and a discovery for the masses.

The Fellowship of the Ring
Boxoffice Mojo for FotR
The Argonath
Hobbits of the Shire
The Ring-bearer

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 21 2014, 1:21am

Post #4 of 7 (576 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

While we're still in the first days of BotFA release, let's have more Book Spoilers BTFE (Book-To-Film Event) in Erebor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Hobbit: Not At Home

... In the meanwhile, the dwarves sat in darkness, and utter silence fell about them. Little they ate and little they spoke. They could not count the passing of time; and they scarcely dared to move, for the whisper of their voices echoed and rustled in the tunnel... ...At last after days and days of waiting... ...they were becoming choked and dazed for want of air, they could bear it no longer. They would almost have welcomed sounds from below of the dragon's return. In the silence they feared some cunning devilry of his, but they could not sit there for ever.
... Thorin spoke: "Let us try the door!" he said. "I must feel the wind on my face soon or die. I think I would rather be smashed by Smaug in the open than suffocate in here!" So several of the dwarves got up and groped back to where the door had been... ... Neither key nor the magic it had once obeyed would ever open that door again.
... "We are trapped!" they groaned. "This is the end. We shall die here."
... But somehow, just when the dwarves were most despairing, Bilbo felt a strange lightening of the heart, as if a heavy weight had gone from under his waistcoat.
... "Come, come!" he said. "While there's life there's hope!" as my father used to say, and the 'Third time pays for all.' I am going down the tunnel once again. I have been that way twice, when I knew there was a dragon at the other end, so I will risk a third visit when I am no longer sure. Anyway the only way out is down. And I think this time you had better all come with me."
... In desperation they agreed, and Thorin was the first to go forward by Bilbo's side.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 12:22am

Post #5 of 7 (573 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 21, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship prepares to depart.
..."The Sword of Elendil was forged anew by elvish smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun... ...above them were written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor. Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West."

December 21, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Shire is reborn.
..."...the labour of repair went on apace, and Sam was kept very busy. Hobbits can work like bees when the mood and the need comes to them. Now there were thousands of willing hands of all ages, from the small but nimble... ...hobbit lads and lasses to the well-worn and horny ones of the gaffers and gammers. Before Yule not a brick was left standing of the new Shirriff-houses or of anything that had been built by 'Sharkey's Men'; but the bricks were used to repair many an old hole, to make it snugger and drier. Great stores of goods and food, and beer, were found that had been hidden away... ...in sheds and barns and deserted holes, and especially in the tunnels at Michel Delving and in the old quarries at Scary; so that there was a great deal better cheer that than anyone had hoped for."

December 21, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. The Shire is back to normal... for some.
...Rosie watches Sam as he quietly lead in the renewal of the Shire, tends to their gardens outside the windows of Bag End, and delights in play with baby Elanor; but she also sees him as he stands in the garden resting heavily against his hoe looking to the distant west beyond the mountains and across the sea.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 12:04pm

Post #6 of 7 (568 views)
Shortcut
December 21, 2014 (CE) [In reply to] Can't Post

The Winter Solstice. This would mark the time of Yule (Midwinter) and the beginning of the new year in Middle-earth (although not for the Dwarves of the House of Durin, who start the new year before the beginning of Winter).

When did we begin to observe the start of the seasons (rather than the middle of them) at the time of the solstices and equinoxes?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 4:32pm

Post #7 of 7 (580 views)
Shortcut
Good Question!? :o [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea! I sense a google search coming on ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.