The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Does anyone here like to bake?

Gianna
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 2:05pm

Post #1 of 6 (335 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone here like to bake? Can't Post

I bake a ton because we have a big family who mulches through baking lickety-split. But because of this, a lot of our recipes get old pretty quickly. Does anyone else want to do a little recipe exchange for new ideas, just quickly posting a favourite?

Here's mine. I personally think it's delicious (and if you, like me, enjoy picking from your baking, it's good for that too Wink)

Poppy Seed Squares

1/2 cup poppy seeds
2 tablespoons milk

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coconut

Measure poppy seed in cup. Cover with milk and let stand.
Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt into bowl. Stir. Add melted butter, honey, eggs, and vanilla. Beat until blended. Stir in coconut and poppy seeds. Spread in greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius) for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2014, 6:05pm

Post #2 of 6 (271 views)
Shortcut
I think I bake mostly for nostalgia [In reply to] Can't Post

as my mum was a great baker (trying to keep seven kids with full tummies) and I think of her when I bake. Unfortunately I'm prone to errors, such as brandy snaps that don't so much roll off the baking tray as have to be chipped off and thrown in the bin, or the last time I made apple and blackberry pie and mistook the salt for sugar.

Your poppy seed squares sound yummy. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 9:56pm

Post #3 of 6 (243 views)
Shortcut
I've just baked almond biscuits... [In reply to] Can't Post

but my favourite easy-peasy basic recipe with many variations is for tasty little morsels called:

Melting Moments

5oz self-raising flour (substitute a little cocoa for flour for chocolate version)
3oz caster sugar
4oz butter
few drops of vanilla essence (or coffee, or almond etc depending on your fancy)

Cream butter and sugar, add essence, stir in flour and mix thoroughly. Shape into small balls around 1" or slightly more in diameter. This is where you can add variety by dipping the balls into desiccated coconut, chopped walnuts or almonds etc. Put on a greased baking tray leaving room to spread and flatten slightly. At this point you can add a small pieceof glace cherry, walnut, blanched almond dipped in milk etc if wished. Bake in the centre of a moderate oven (180C/350F or Gas 4) for about 15 minutes. Lift carefully onto a wire rack to cool, after a couple of minutes out of the oven. You can make several different variations in one batch, which is fun. If you flatten them a bit more you can sandwich them together with butter icing, but I prefer them single to be honest.

I sympathise over the brandy snap issue; I made milllionaire's shortbread once (layer of shortbread, layer of soft caramel, topped with layer of chocolate) and the caramel - well, you could have repaired shoes with it! I tried to cut the assembled article into slices and it just splintered. Hmph! I've bought them since then.

Gianna
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 10:05pm

Post #4 of 6 (245 views)
Shortcut
Melting Moments looks really good [In reply to] Can't Post

...especially around Christmas time! Thank you!

I've made caramel toffee squares a few times, which sound about the same as the millionaire's shortbread. They're mouthwatering, but -- like yours -- the chocolate splinters when cut. In fact the first time I made the squares, when I tried to cut them up, they were so hard that the knife somehow cut through the pan when it finally got through the squares!!! Crazy Now they sit out for a while to soften a bit before anyone tries to cut them...

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2014, 11:07pm

Post #5 of 6 (241 views)
Shortcut
I love to bake and cook [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't many opportunities because I live alone. But during the holiday season, I get to make lots of cookies, starting tonight! I'm making mincemeat cookies, which are basically sugar cookies with a pocket of mincemeat inside. My mom used to make them for my dad, and now that both are gone, I make them in their memory (plus I love them).

I also make the traditional sugar cutout cookies, with decorations. They're a lot of work, but we all love them.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 1:45pm

Post #6 of 6 (212 views)
Shortcut
OnePan Pumpkin Bread [In reply to] Can't Post

is something we always make for the fall. It's really easy, and you can adjust the recipe to smaller pans if you want.

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
2 1/3 cups Bisquick baking mix
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Heat oven to 350. Generously grease bottom of loaf pan, 9X5X3 inches. Stir all ingredients (except raisins if you want them) in pan with fork until moistened, beat vigorously 1 minute. (Stir in raisins now if wanted). Bake until pick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Run knife or metal spatula around sides to loosen if you want to remove from pan.

Special high altitude instructions: Heat oven to 375. Decrease baking mix to 2 cups and sugar to 1 cup. Add 1/4 cup flour. Increase eggs to 4.

The absolute key to this recipe is to splurge on using really good quality cinnamon. It really does make a big difference.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.