Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did Bilbo Sabotage the Quest? (spoilers)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 12:56pm

Post #1 of 14 (950 views)
Shortcut
Did Bilbo Sabotage the Quest? (spoilers) Can't Post

After Bilbo is done with them - Erebor, Dale and Laketown are left Kingless and in ruins. Many characters (major and extras) are left dead or severely traumatised. There's no consensus on who gets the gold - Bard doesn't return the Arkenstone, Thranduil doesn't get his gems. And, once all this has been accomplished, Bilbo tries to sneak off quietly before everyone realises that he's single-handedly destroyed their lives.

It all starts when the dwarves turn up and start messing up Bag End. Bilbo is clearly enraged by the dwarves' behaviour shouting "Bebother and confusticate these dwarves!" (Which is hobbit-speak for "I will have my revenge!") He wakes up the next morning, looks at the contract and a plan forms in his mind.

Seconds after he joins the company, he's trying to slow them down "I've forgotten my handkerchief!" But quickly realises he's going to have to try much harder to stall them. Which is why he takes the drastic action of over-feeding the ponies and letting them loose.

When he hears about the trolls it's his golden opportunity - he quickly gets everyone tied up and about to be skinned alive when Gandalf pops up and saves the day. We see Bilbo's face here and he's clearly not happy with Gandalf's involvement. - Something will have to be done about that guy.

What we don't see is that it's Bilbo's idea to leave Rivendell without Gandalf - He needed to get Gandy out of the picture so that he could pull his next move - Dangling himself off of a huge mountain cleft and hoping Thorin will fall in the process of saving him; and then later getting everyone caught by goblins and attempting to sneak back without them. Unfortunately for Bilbo, Gandalf turns up again. This is when he starts to move to bigger and more elaborate plans.

He bides his time waiting until he gets to the dragon (not without an attempt to drown them all in barrels first) and then intentionally provokes the dragon and, using word play, sends it to Laketown ("No-one pulls me out of a toilet and gets away with it"). He also steals the Arkenstone, purely out of spite, and then hands it to Bard, just to stir things up (he also vouched for Thorin in Laketown, promising the poor people gold so that they would start this battle).

During the battle Bilbo makes a few attempts at slowing everyone down, but after being threatened by Thorin, Bilbo gets serious. He follows Thorin up to fight Azog and when he realises that all he needs to do is slip on the Ring and stab Azog in the back, he pretends to be asleep on the battlefield and allows Thorin to die. He then runs up to the dying Thorin and if you listen carefully you hear him whisper "That's for my mother's Westfarthing pottery. It was over a hundred years old".

Angharad73
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 2:04pm

Post #2 of 14 (555 views)
Shortcut
He also... [In reply to] Can't Post

...wanted to wipe out the line of Durin. After pushing Fili into Azog's hands, he pointed Bolg into Kili's direction. The She-Elf almost got in the way, but in the end it still worked out.

Since Thorin killed Azog and Legolas dealt with Bolg, all the loose ends were tied up and no one could prove Bilbo's treachery.

It's no coincidence that the One Ring chose Bilbo...

Timdalf
Rivendell

Dec 17 2014, 2:08pm

Post #3 of 14 (516 views)
Shortcut
Hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliant... Bilbo, the Agent of Evil!!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 2:25pm

Post #4 of 14 (502 views)
Shortcut
hahahahahahahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

smtfhw
Lorien

Dec 17 2014, 2:34pm

Post #5 of 14 (495 views)
Shortcut
I Like Your Theory [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 5:12pm

Post #6 of 14 (414 views)
Shortcut
ROTFL [In reply to] Can't Post

Very good. Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 17 2014, 5:13pm

Post #7 of 14 (413 views)
Shortcut
Sneaky, Tricksey, Thief [In reply to] Can't Post

youzzzGuyzzz Forgot he STOLE it from..Uszz....
My ONE & ONLY posessssion...My Birthday
prezzzent.. (Gollum)

.Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 17 2014, 6:02pm

Post #8 of 14 (405 views)
Shortcut
*wipes away tears* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the laugh, QuackingTroll!

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Dec 17 2014, 6:02pm)

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 6:28pm

Post #9 of 14 (405 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget Bilbo's suspicious invitation for tea at the end. [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly he intends to serve the surviving dwarves a special tea if/when they stop by.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Dec 17 2014, 6:28pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 7:18pm

Post #10 of 14 (384 views)
Shortcut
And then he has the cheek - and cleverness - [In reply to] Can't Post

to write out his version of the story in a lovely leather-bound volume that gets passed down from generation to generation, cementing his place in history as the brave little hobbit that we all admire. Tricksey, false hobbitsesss, indeed! Gollum was dead right!

(Brilliant, QT.Wink)

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 17 2014, 10:36pm

Post #11 of 14 (324 views)
Shortcut
this post is hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

As well as the responses.
If Gandalf keeps questioning Bilbo about his ring, he may end up getting ambushed by a Balrog in a dark alley in Moria ;0).

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Dec 17 2014, 10:38pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 10:58pm

Post #12 of 14 (324 views)
Shortcut
Only his Took side... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's Baggins side was firmly opposed to all forms of sabotage from the very beginning. Wink Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 1:36am

Post #13 of 14 (306 views)
Shortcut
bwahahaha!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

After a nasty bit of brand new computer screen getting busted by my five year old earlier Frown I needed the laugh.

Thanks! Utterly brilliant! It's all a huge hobbit conspiracy theory! Cool

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 12:20pm

Post #14 of 14 (283 views)
Shortcut
Reading all these replies just made my day, haha. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to know there's a sense of humour still alive on the boards Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.