Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Question about Dain, for fellow early viewers...

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 1:34am

Post #1 of 15 (693 views)
Shortcut
Question about Dain, for fellow early viewers... Can't Post

I'm deeply sorry if it has been discussed. I searched and found nothing.

Is Dain's face CGI or is it heavy make-up? I saw a review that said it was CGI, but I'm not really sure...

Thanks!

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 1:40am

Post #2 of 15 (373 views)
Shortcut
We don't really know. I think CG [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't even think it's good CG. He just looks kinda wrong to me. I like his design though. The little beard tusks are great.

Merovech
Bree

Dec 17 2014, 1:41am

Post #3 of 15 (380 views)
Shortcut
From what I could see... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was all CGI. Including all close-ups. A strong case of uncanny valley for me.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 17 2014, 1:43am

Post #4 of 15 (345 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

No one knows for sure. Some people say heavy makeup, others say fully computer generated and still others say highly digitally airbrushed prosthetics. I have an extremely sharp eye and will offer my thoughts once I see the movie tomorrow.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 17 2014, 1:55am

Post #5 of 15 (356 views)
Shortcut
Billy said "IT was like Wearing a Volkswagon?" SSOoo. [In reply to] Can't Post

.Yes, BC was in Costume in many shotz
The PIG had to BE CGI..though.

......Some Green Barrel
PJ saddled him with..

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 1:59am

Post #6 of 15 (368 views)
Shortcut
I'm fairly certain [In reply to] Can't Post

Dain is created digitally for his shots on the boar. The eyes behind the mask look CGI, although it is done quite well.

However, there were a couple of shots in the battlefield, where he is talking to Thorin where I am 100% certain it is Billy Conolly live action:

The Mitch King
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 3:50am

Post #7 of 15 (293 views)
Shortcut
Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes he is cgi. He looks great in his introduction. It's more noticeable during the battle. I wish they would have wrapped up his story or at least have him with the company of dwarves at the end.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2014, 6:22am

Post #8 of 15 (220 views)
Shortcut
Mixed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In some shots he's CGI, but there are some that looked perfectly real to me, so I'm pretty certain that Dain is not entirely CGI. In one or two shots, I thought the lighting on him was different than his surroundings, but I suspect it was due to greenscreen rather than CGI.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 7:16am

Post #9 of 15 (189 views)
Shortcut
I just can't tell [In reply to] Can't Post

Although he was very well done, however he was done (as it were). Would have liked to have seen more of him – I especially liked his meeting with Thorin.

emre43
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 9:22am

Post #10 of 15 (160 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he was myself, but other people are telling me he was [In reply to] Can't Post

so...

adt100
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 10:05am

Post #11 of 15 (167 views)
Shortcut
Seen it 3 times now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think in the first scenes of him riding in and talking those shots are CGI or HEAVILY edited 'airbrushed' in post production if not. The fighting scene in wider shots too.

There are a couple of very tight close ups when he's shouting commands in battle that I'm 100% sure are live action. Just looks grittier and slightly different to the other shots. I also think the shots where he finally greets Thorin are live action.

It's really hard to tell though and TBH, if even we are having difficulty deciding, on a human and recognisable figure, it shows how good a job WETA Digital have actually done!

Still a bit baflled by the decision though. The close ups an shots riding in could surely be live action (as age/health isn't an issue) and the fighting shots could be actual stunt double when not digital doubles. After all, with all the armour and helmet you don't see much of this face! It will be interesting to hear the comments from PJ and co as to the reality of the situation. Maybe it was in some way due to ill health that he couldn't film all the scenes required?

nymmerod
The Shire

Dec 17 2014, 2:22pm

Post #12 of 15 (131 views)
Shortcut
Ironfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how anyone is really debating this. Maybe not everyone saw the HFR version? I saw it in XD which has a larger screen, so maybe that was part of it too.

What I saw was a CG Dain the entire time. There was a single over-the-shoulder-from-behind shot of him talking to Thorin where I could tell I was seeing a real wig blowing in the wind and then the next cut was over Thorin's shoulder and Dain's hair immediately had that CG look again.

All of the other shots of him looked very clearly computerish and not real. I'm not saying it looked bad, just clearly not real.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96226

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 2:55pm

Post #13 of 15 (130 views)
Shortcut
Via someone on Reddit: [In reply to] Can't Post

The reason why was because when filming Billy Connolly couldn't get through a whole take without forgetting his lines due to his Parkinson's / Alzheimers. In the end they sent him back home (from NZ) and managed to voice record him later. Source: Uncle, who worked on film, and Aunty, who is one of P. Jacksons execs.

I looked through his story from years ago and he mentioned some of his family members working on the movie, so he has some credibility.

(This post was edited by Carne on Dec 17 2014, 2:56pm)

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 17 2014, 5:00pm

Post #14 of 15 (87 views)
Shortcut
i agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

To me he did look bad. His face and lip movement especially looked very fake.
Maybe it was because i was sitting all the way at the front.

Luckily bad cgi doesn't ruin (the rest of) the movie for me like it does for many other people.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Dec 17 2014, 6:32pm

Post #15 of 15 (93 views)
Shortcut
had no idea Dain was at all CGI. [In reply to] Can't Post

until I read about it afterwards. Looked convincing to me!

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.