Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What mathoms did those that went to Marathon Monday screenings get at the theatre?

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Dec 17 2014, 12:41am

Post #1 of 9 (1237 views)
Shortcut
What mathoms did those that went to Marathon Monday screenings get at the theatre? Can't Post

We got a choice of three posters: one of Gandalf, one of Bard, or one of Thorin.
Which one would you choose? I far prefer the one I got at Trilogy Tuesday.
That one was a tchotcki that contained a cell of film from each of the LotR movies. As far as the Hobbit trilogy, critics be damned--I loved them all. Sir PJ took me on a cinematic journey to Middle-earth and back again. He made these movies for the fans not the unwashed general public. I hope he gets his revenge when the box office totals exceed expectatons!!!!!!!

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 1:10am

Post #2 of 9 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Dad got Bard and I got Thorin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 1:26am

Post #3 of 9 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it at my local Regal Cinema. The ticket stub didn't even say Hobbit - it just said Marathon 3D.

Compared to the LOTR Trilogy Tuesday it was kind of a let down at first. There were only 20 people in the theater. Thank goodness the movies saved the whole experience. I honestly didn't care while I was watching the movies; I was too engrossed in SPJ's Middle Earth. By the time it was over I was so thunder struck by the whole experience of 9 hours of Hobbit that I forgot that there was no real "fan" experience.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Dec 17 2014, 1:27am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 17 2014, 5:35am

Post #4 of 9 (1159 views)
Shortcut
No goodies - but they did serve a buffet between films 2 and 3. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a free buffet, there was a nominal cost, but it was for the Trilogy ticket-holders, and included things like turkey drumsticks, tender pork roast, mashed potatoes, pea pods and broccoli with mushrooms, and cranberry risotto (yeah, I live in cranberry country!).

But a little memento would have been nice! Evil Our theater was about 80% full. It was where we saw the LotR trilogy many years ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 6:06am

Post #5 of 9 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it at the Regal IMAX here. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. At least for AUJ they gave away posters. This time they didn't do squat. I'll admit I was a bit disappointed. The original "new line" cinema back under AOL/Time Warner was much better at promotion and distribution than WB is.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 12:16pm

Post #6 of 9 (1148 views)
Shortcut
I gave to agree with you there [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been really disappointed with the way WB has treated the fans and Our local Regal has done nothing. There isn't even any big cardboard display up in the lobby or hall. I'm sure there are Tolkien fans around but maybe they are concentrated somewhere closer into the city?

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 12:35am

Post #7 of 9 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Cinemark in Lakewood Colorado had.. [In reply to] Can't Post

DayGlow Wrist bands SSOoo...Bomby could goto gab a "Ciggie"
OUTSIDE between the 20 minute Breaks

Discounts ONLY @ the Concession Stand,
but tha
t was ALL..

AUJ was Astondishing in Xtreme3DHFR ---- DEEP into MiddleEARTH, AnYway
Theater had about 40 people TOTAL which was
FINE BY Bomby..

A CURIOuS THingie Happened was..
.............. To get everyone in their
Seatzz.
SHOWED aaa..
SHORT RE-EDIT of the London Premiere
............Which was WAyCOOL on their
60FT x 35 foot Screen...

The Second Film..BEGINZ? DUH? WHA...NO Sound?

Sitting there about 2 minutezz
BOM figured NO projectionist in Thier Booth

Ran to Report it..Sure Enough

We had Lost about the Whole Bree Sequence..

Talking to her through the Projectionist BOOTH WINDOW
she realized we missed Much..
........Rewind.. Again late in DOs..No Sound..
Reported it THEY Corrected..TOO..

PJ about 30 Feet Tal in Front of BagEND
introduces it to US!
As some of the First to sEE..BOT5A....
Bomby BEEEMED hiz LOVE
@PJ!

Third Film was perfect

(bom GOT a RAIN-Check!! TOO!)

WOooT wwooooDY WOOT!

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Dec 18 2014, 12:41am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2014, 2:05pm

Post #8 of 9 (1119 views)
Shortcut
We got the posters [In reply to] Can't Post

And an ID lanyard with the marathon schedule printed on it so that we could leave the theater in between shows if we wanted. The IMAX theater wasn't very full, but they were also showing the marathon in regular 3D and in 2D in other theaters, so the crowd got split up.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 7:49pm

Post #9 of 9 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Nope, nothing, zilch, nada, zip, zero.. [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister and I were the only ones there at first at the local Regal, and only three more people came in later. (None in any kind of costume or merchandise, though they complimented my Bofur hat!Wink) At first they said it was cancelled.Shocked The files from WB were corrupted, but as it turned out, there was a time-lock sort of coding...thing... on them and they opened at the right time.Evil It was pretty nice though, IMAX 3D, empty theatre, so we could spread out, put out feet up, and make commentary to our hearts' content.Laugh

Not a bad way to spend the afternoon, but I expected something like the LotR experience I had heard about.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.