The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Shadows of Mordor question

BountyHunter
The Shire

Dec 9 2014, 4:40pm

Post #1 of 7 (2375 views)
Shortcut
Shadows of Mordor question Can't Post

Okay, I'm thinking of grabbing this game, but before I do, can somebody tell me which continuity it is supposed to be set in?

Is it in book continuity, or movie continuity? Either is fine with me, but I'd like to know beforehand.

BountyHunter
The Shire

Dec 10 2014, 7:28pm

Post #2 of 7 (2204 views)
Shortcut
???? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely somebody knows.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Dec 10 2014, 7:55pm

Post #3 of 7 (2199 views)
Shortcut
Neither, really. [In reply to] Can't Post

But from what I gather the look is based on the films. But it creates its own storyline.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 10 2014, 10:54pm

Post #4 of 7 (2203 views)
Shortcut
It is set in and ties-in with the movie universe [In reply to] Can't Post

But tries to stay (fairly) true to book lore also. It takes a lot of liberties and "artistic license" with the ideas in the books and films. And hopefully I won't spoil anything here but it also includes certain character designs directly from the movies.

I recommend only getting it if you have a PC, PS4 or Xbox One. It's not very good on PS3 or 360, unfortunately. Otherwise, it's a fantastically well made game with an interesting story and characters and is great fun to play.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Dec 10 2014, 10:56pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Dec 11 2014, 2:51am

Post #5 of 7 (2245 views)
Shortcut
Mix of both [In reply to] Can't Post

It does what War In The North and Battle For Middle-earth 2 did, mixing both movie and book canon, which I love. And I think it does it flawlessly, considering it's a video game so some things have to be tweaked, and this is probably the most polished, bug-free game I've ever played. I have it on PS4, but I heard PS3 and 360's versions are pretty bad. But this IS a next gen game, so if you can get it on PC, PS4, or X1. SUCH an amazing game, and has been praised by all major game critics. Amazing, smooth gameplay, with a great story (that sort of felt too short), but the nemesis system adds a ton of gameplay hours. Took me 100 hours to beat my first playthrough.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"When faced with death, what can anyone do?" -Bilbo Baggins

BountyHunter
The Shire

Dec 29 2014, 5:08am

Post #6 of 7 (2217 views)
Shortcut
Cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

I ended up getting it on XBox 360, as I don't have either of the newer systems, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. It's probably just ppl with the newer systems that notice any flaws when trying to play on the older ones.

Great game. It is one I can see me upgrading when I get an XBox One.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2015, 10:13pm

Post #7 of 7 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Actually, i've heard that the last-gen [In reply to] Can't Post

differs quite a lot from the current-gen versions, mainly in the depth and complexity of the Nemesis System, which is kind of the main draw of the game.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.