The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the anniversary reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 9 2014, 3:34pm

Post #1 of 13 (197 views)
Shortcut
It's the anniversary reading thread! Can't Post

Yes, the Gaffer and I are looking at yet another wedding anniversary this Friday, a number that seems incomprehensible. I suspect some sort of timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly thing is going on Wink We have a nice day out planned with our best friends, lunch and a visit to an art museum.

A happy anniversary as well to TORn's own Roheryn and NZStrider, who will reach number ten the same day. I know it's just coincidence their anniversary is the same as ours, but still, we're honored to share with such lovely hobbitses. (Or considering their nicknames, such lovely rangers.)

Meanwhile, I finished The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith. (Thirteenth in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series). As always, I enjoy hanging out with the characters. In this installment, Mma Ramotswe has a huge surprise when Clovis Andersen, author of her "bible" on detection, appears on her doorstep. Together they help right a wrong done to Mma Potokwane, matriarch of the orphanage. Meanwhile, Fanwell the apprentice finds himself doing illegal work, if for the best of motives, and is hauled into court---leaving it to the irrepressible Charlie to find a solution to his problm. And Phuti and Grace are building a new house. Grace doesn't trust the misogynistic builder, but it takes awhile before she and Phuti discover the truth.

I also read Grave Goods, by Ariana Franklin. (Third in the Mistress of the Art of Death series.) I never finished the first book in the series, disliking a couple of Franklin's stylistic tics, and only picked up this one when I saw that it's based on the historical "discovery" of the bodies of Arthur and Guinevere at Glastonbury Abbey in the late 12th century. Adelia, the main character, is a female doctor and (as we'd say today) medical examiner born, raised, and trained in Sicily. In England, she has to hide behind her Arab companion, pretending that he's the doctor and she's his assistant.

Franklin's take on the Glastonbury bodies is highly fictionalized but also highly entertaining, interspersed with a secondary mystery, the disappearance of a young woman, her son, and her German champion/companion. I enjoyed the way everything came together in the end, even though a couple of points were predictable and another couple of points were eye-rolling. Franklin paints an intriguing picture of the personalities and issues of the times.

This book didn't have any of the (to me) annoying stylistic tics. One thing that I don't find annoying is Franklin's use of fairly contemporary language for her characters---after all, they were speaking in the style of the times, at the time, and the dialog works well.

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2014, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 13 (103 views)
Shortcut
I The King [In reply to] Can't Post

by Frances Parkinson Keyes. I picked this up expecting it to be a novel, and it turned out to be an historical account of the kingship of Philip IV of Spain 1615-1665. Philip was a good man and loved by his people, but indolent and content to let his privado, the Count of Olivares, manage most of his affairs with an eye to his advantage. The story here is really the women in his life. His queen, Isabel of Bourbon was far more capable than anyone expected, and ruled as regent when Philip was away on military or diplomatic matters. She also did her best to discredit Olivares as well. Later in life Philip began a life-long correspondence with Sor Maria, the Abbess of the Conceptionist Convent At Agreda, who counseled and advised him in his spiritual affairs. Lastly, after Isabel died, he married his niece, Mariana, intended for his son Baltasar before his death. Philip now had no legitimate heir so desperately needed a son (In Spain at that time, females were not eligible for the throne).

It was notable to me how intertwined the royal houses of Europe were -- no wonder so many children died from, likely, severe inbreeding. When I read of Philip's offspring, there were many miscarriages, stillbirths and babies that died within a few weeks. Makes me wonder if he had some kind of STD that he was passing along. He, like Henry VIII, had a few healthy daughters, but rarely a son.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 9 2014, 4:43pm

Post #3 of 13 (108 views)
Shortcut
re-reading Pride & Prejudice [In reply to] Can't Post

For book club. Enjoying it as much as ever.

Also finished "Alone in the Classroom" by Elizabeth Hay. This is a new author for me. Pretty intense look at erotic obsession, lovely writing (it's a novel). I'm looking for her other novels now, my highest praise for an author!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Through any dark time, I always remember Frodo's claim on the side of Mt. Doom that he "can manage it" because he must.
Sometimes, I have to manage it, too, as do we all. We manage because we must.

acheron
Gondor

Dec 9 2014, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 13 (111 views)
Shortcut
"The Sleepwalkers" [In reply to] Can't Post

A history of Europe leading up to World War I, and the decisions and circumstances that led there. The title refers to no one really intending an incredibly destructive war to break out (contrast, say, WWII), it just "happened".

The first section goes into the history of Serbia and of Austria-Hungary leading up to the assassination, and where each country was coming from.

The second section is the creation of the alliance blocs that became the two sides of the war, which were relatively recent developments at the time, but were necessary preconditions for the war as it happened -- a "disagreement" between Austria and Serbia leading to, e.g., Britain and France fighting Germany. It wasn't long before the war happened that an alliance between Britain and Germany seemed more likely than between Britain and France, who after all had very rarely been close partners.

That's where I am so far, but I believe the third section covers the assassination itself, and the subsequent decisions and actions leading up to the actual war.

Anyway, fascinating stuff.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 9 2014, 7:25pm

Post #5 of 13 (106 views)
Shortcut
More Lovecraft, and some Pratchett [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished listening to "A Shadow over Innsmouth", which was wonderfully creepy and reminded me of the much scarier Five Dials chapter of "Face in the Frost" by John Bellairs (and got me in the mood to re-read that.)

I also pulled up "Carpe Jugulum" by Terry Pratchett on my kindle and have been listening to it when too much Lovecraft is just too much. I can't remember if I've read it before; bits seem familiar, and most of it doesn't. Of course, there are a lot of old familiar characters. I suspect I haven't read it before. I've read about half the Discworld novels, and so I find myself in this situation from time to time. Anyway, it has some really annoying vampires and those wonderful witches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 9 2014, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 13 (92 views)
Shortcut
I wish.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Having systematically made my way through the Disc World series - to the extent one can go through an unordered system "systematically" - I fear there are no more Discworld books to just stumble upon.

But my re-read of the Dresden Files now has me considering re-reading the Disc World. Probably not right away, but its coming someday.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 9 2014, 9:11pm

Post #7 of 13 (92 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

And many happy returns :)

I'm about halfway through Ghost Story, book 13 in the Dresden Files. It's such a great change of pace from the previous books that I'm really enjoying it, and starting to salivate over the idea that I'm getting closer to book #15 - Skin Game, which I've never read and was the whole reason for starting this re-read in the first place.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 9 2014, 10:32pm

Post #8 of 13 (84 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations to you two (and Ro/NZS!) on the special occasion. Smile

I finished The Voyage Out awhile back, but didn't update on it: very enjoyable, with flashes of utter brilliance from the young Woolf. The character of Hirst talks of writing a novel on 'silence' throughout the novel. I think Ms. Woolf made a bold statement herself with this one. Now to move toward her later works in the future!

Right now, I'm three chapters deep in another read through of The Lord of the Rings. Loving every second of it, of course. I'm aiming to go slowly this time--not too slow, so as to become a hindrance to the experience. Yet, I want to savor even the smallest bits, the moments one might normally miss, or not appreciate in the same manner as usual. Either way, it's very enjoyable and I'm having a wonderful time with it. Having the RR discussion alongside makes it even more interesting. *remembers to check that thread after dinner*

I've got Ulysses on the horizon in 2015, too. My first Joyce experience, which I'm (cautiously) looking forward to.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 9 2014, 11:04pm

Post #9 of 13 (81 views)
Shortcut
My annual re-read of "Hogfather" [In reply to] Can't Post

love it every time.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 12:39am

Post #10 of 13 (79 views)
Shortcut
Heads up: the Kindle version of "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" is on sale for $2.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.amazon.com/...f=s9_hps_ft_g351_i2?

Not sure how long it will be on sale.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Tintallė
Gondor

Dec 10 2014, 6:23pm

Post #11 of 13 (72 views)
Shortcut
The Narrow Road to the Deep North and The Places in Between [In reply to] Can't Post

The first is much like Unbroken, but it seems to have a deeper impact on me, possibly because of the graphic descriptions of the smells, sounds and sights of the environment in addition to the brutality of the captors. It's extremely well-written, which means it is not an easy read. The subject matter is intense and I find I cannot read for more than a few chapters without needing to breathe clean air and feel sunlight on my skin.

The second is a real-life adventure story about Rory Stewart, who decided to walk across Afghanistan right after the Taliban fell. It's a fascinating account of a remarkable journey. I have had some adventures in my life but none like that. I would not choose it for myself but it makes for good reading!

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 8:32pm

Post #12 of 13 (53 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh - THAT is a great tradition! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 10:21pm

Post #13 of 13 (66 views)
Shortcut
I've been rereading the Ranger's Apprentice series [In reply to] Can't Post

in chronological order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 5, 6, 8. I thought it flowed better that way. No, I didn't try to incorporate the stories from The Lost Stories; maybe next time. After 9, I think I'll start alternating Ranger with Brotherband books to see how that works.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.