The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A major problem for Thorin and company

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 5 2014, 9:36pm

Post #1 of 11 (909 views)
Shortcut
A major problem for Thorin and company Can't Post

What would they have had to eat sitting in the mountain?
It was the start of winter, they antagonized both the elves and men who could have traded goods. You can't eat gold and jewels. I doubt any age old stores would have been edible. They held the mountain and would have to have relied upon Dain for supply. If Dain had been cut off...they would have starved.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 5 2014, 9:40pm

Post #2 of 11 (638 views)
Shortcut
I think that was exactly the plan [In reply to] Can't Post

to starve them out. And I think Bard's messenger said something like, "We'll leave you to your gold. Eat that, if you will." Their only hope was rescue by Dain.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 5 2014, 9:50pm

Post #3 of 11 (622 views)
Shortcut
And to be fair to Thorin, if he had not been overcome with [In reply to] Can't Post

Dragon Sickness, I think he would have held to his promise in Laketown.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 5 2014, 10:09pm

Post #4 of 11 (635 views)
Shortcut
Here's the exact quote [In reply to] Can't Post

"Since such is your answer," he called in return, "I declare the Mountain besieged. You shall not depart from it, until you call on your side for a truce and a parley. We will bear no weapons against you, but we leave you to your gold. You may eat that, if you will!"
- The Gathering of the Clouds, TH

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 6 2014, 12:21am

Post #5 of 11 (602 views)
Shortcut
And before that [In reply to] Can't Post

After Roac leaves:

"Back now to the Mountain!” cried Thorin. “We have little time to lose.”
“And little food to use!” cried Bilbo, always practical on such points.

*BG hangs head; no one upmanship intended* Blush

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 6 2014, 2:59am

Post #6 of 11 (605 views)
Shortcut
They weren't completely without food [In reply to] Can't Post

They recaptured several of their ponies after Smaug was killed and transported their food stores that had been left outside the mountain, so they had several weeks worth of 'cram', enough to hold out until Dain arrived:

“As they worked the ravens brought them constant tidings. In this way they learned that the Elvenking had turned aside to the Lake, and they still had a breathing space. Better still, they heard that three of their ponies had escaped and were wandering wild far down the banks of the Running River, not far from where the rest of their stores had been left. So while the others went on with their work, Fili and Kili were sent, guided by a raven, to find the ponies and bring back all they could.”

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 6 2014, 3:24am

Post #7 of 11 (585 views)
Shortcut
True, but a seige of more than a few weeks would have been [In reply to] Can't Post

disastrous if Dain was prevented from relieving them. I think it possible that in that situation, there could have been a mutiny led by Balin as Thorin would clearly have not been himself.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 6 2014, 4:24am

Post #8 of 11 (644 views)
Shortcut
If Dain had been cut off [In reply to] Can't Post

they certainly would have been in a fairly hopeless bargaining position, but it seems so typical of dwarf nature that Thorin and the other dwarves never seriously considered the possibility that Dain wouldn't reach them. They just take it for granted that a fully equipped dwarf army isn't going to be stopped by anybody and poor sensible Bilbo seems to be the only one worried about other possibilities.

It's interesting to speculate, though, on what might have happened if Dain had been cut off, and if the orcs hadn't attacked, and if there had been a long, winter siege of the mountain. Tolkien's dwarves are so incredibly clannish and loyal that I'm not sure if a human style 'mutiny' would happen in their culture, but eventually hunger would win out and I can imagine a very angry, grumpy Thorin finally agreeing to bargain for food rather than watch his men starve.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 19 2014, 10:54pm

Post #9 of 11 (528 views)
Shortcut
Some food was being brought to them by the ravens. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do doubt that the ravens of Erebor could provide enough food for Thorin's company to sustain them for an extended period of time, but the birds (in the book) were extending the supplies of the Dwarves.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Apr 8 2015, 8:07pm

Post #10 of 11 (379 views)
Shortcut
Cram? But Bilbo got really tired of that, as Tolkien says in TH.// [In reply to] Can't Post

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 8 2015, 9:26pm

Post #11 of 11 (379 views)
Shortcut
Cram would not last long based on dwarven appetites. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://thequotablekitchen.com/galadhrim-lembas-bread/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.