Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien's 'The Story of Kullervo' to be reprinted next year, edited by Verlyn Flieger

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 30 2014, 7:43pm

Post #1 of 6 (747 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's 'The Story of Kullervo' to be reprinted next year, edited by Verlyn Flieger Can't Post

Listed on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...1-6&keywords=tolkien

(Sorry that's all the info I could find, I think this was only put up today)

I don't know much about this work myself, but according to the wiki it was already published in 'Tolkien Studies' a few years ago:

http://tolkiengateway.net/...he_Story_of_Kullervo

It's unclear at this stage whether this a simple reprint or not, the Tolkien Gateway article for 'Tolkien Studies Seven' lists this work as being 68 pages in length so presumably this new edition is either 'extended' in some way, or perhaps a pocket Hardback edition to match those already published (Flieger's edition of 'Smith of Wooton Major' is also going to be reprinted next year in a pocket hardback edition).

Whatever happens to cinematic Middle Earth after BOTFA it seems we still have plenty to look forward to on the books front...

Smile

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 30 2014, 11:32pm

Post #2 of 6 (643 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had not heard this before. I enjoyed the material in TS very much, but this must be quite expanded from that, if it really is 300 pages, as the Amazon link says. I think I'll ask Verlyn.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 1 2014, 8:49pm

Post #3 of 6 (613 views)
Shortcut
This is pretty cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

But personally, I hope that Christopher is able to bring Beren & Lúthien and The Fall of Gondolin to novelization like he did with The Children of Húrin. I know it's technically his father's writing that he just edited, but maybe there is some undiscovered box full of such manuscripts still out there.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 1 2014, 10:15pm

Post #4 of 6 (611 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) I don't think that will happen... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm far from an expert on the books (unlike Voronwë the Faithful), but it seems clear to me Christopher sees himself as an editor rather than author first and foremost, and would rather publish incomplete works that try to second guess his father and 'fill in the gaps' (he mentions in the HOME some of his regrets with the way the published Silmarillion turned out) I think part of the reason Children of Hurin was published was to draw attention away from the Films and Video Games back to the books, (and it was relatively simple to put together as so many versions of the tale already existed), Beren and Luthien and The Fall of Gondolin never seemed to reworked enough to merit a 'true to Tolkien' publication, and Tolkien's legends of the First Age have unfortunately (and unfairly imo) never attracted the same amount of passion as LOTR.

According to the FAQ on the Tolkien Estate website:

Are there any plans to produce similar editions of the other two « Great Tales » of JRR Tolkien's mythology ?
Sadly, neither The Fall of Gondolin nor Beren and Lúthien were ever developed extensively and sufficiently enough by J.R.R. Tolkien to publish them in similar form to The Children of Húrin. Even though - for instance - an illustrated edition of these tales might be possible, the existing texts have already been published, and would remain incomplete.

That's not to say everything Tolkien wrote has been published (far from it...) so we may see other 'odds and ends' published down the line (There is a partially complete prose version of The Lay of Leithain that wasn't published in HOME but I can't recall if Christopher Tolkien talked about it detail), but I think it is very unlikely we will see another feature length novel set in Middle Earth.

In anycase, with this, 'The Art of The Lord of The Rings' and new editions of Smith of Wooton Major and The History Of The Hobbit, it's reassuring to know there will still be alot to talk about post BOTFA...

(This post was edited by malickfan on Dec 1 2014, 10:22pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 1 2014, 10:21pm

Post #5 of 6 (606 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is great news... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have access to Tolkien Studies, but everything I've found out about the Kullervo story sounds very interesting, it's good to see some of the more obscure works by Tolkien available to the general public.

I think I'll ask Verlyn

It always impresses me how casual you (and certain other posters here) can be when it comes to your contacts, and I'm rather surprised so much material still remains unpublished...

Smile

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Dec 2 2014, 4:53am

Post #6 of 6 (622 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

certainly gives me something to look forward to.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.