Nov 28 2014, 9:11pm

Post #1 of 3 (987 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 28 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Gift of Galadriel
(not from the appendices)
..."The trees were the worst loss and damage, for at Sharkey's bidding they had been cut down recklessly far and wide over the Shire; and Sam grieved over this more than anything else. For one thing, this hurt would take long to heal, and only his great-grandchildren... ...would see the Shire as it ought to be.
...Then suddenly one day, for he had been too busy for weeks to give a thought to his adventures, he remembered the gift of Galadriel. He brought the box out and showed it to the other Travellers (for so they were now called by everyone), and asked their advice.
...'I wondered when you would think of it,' said Frodo. 'Open it!'
...Inside it was filled with a grey dust, soft and fine, in the middle of which was a seed, like a small nut with a silver shale. 'What can I do with this...?'
...'...Throw it in the air on a breezy day and let it do its work!' said Pippin.
...'On what?' said Sam.
...'Choose one spot as a nursery, and see what happens to the plants there,' said Merry.
...'But I'm sure the Lady would not like me to keep it all for my own garden, now so many folk have suffered,' said Sam.
...'Use all the wits and knowledge you have of your own, Sam,' said Frodo, 'and then use the gift to help your work and better it. And use it sparingly. There is not much here, and I expect every grain has a value.'
...So Sam planted saplings in all the places where specially beautiful or beloved trees had been destroyed, and he put a grain of the precious dust in the soil at the root of each. He went up and down the Shire in this labour; but if he paid special attention to Hobbiton and Bywater no one blamed him... ...at the end he found that he still had a little of the dust left; so he went to the Three-Farthing Stone... ...near to the centre of the Shire as no matter, and cast it in the air with his blessing. The little silver nut he planted in the Party Field where the tree had once been; and he wondered what would come of it. All through the winter he remained as patient as he could, and tried to restrain himself from going round constantly to see if anything was happening."

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 29 2014, 11:43pm

Post #2 of 3 (934 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are a couple of Book Spoilers that sum up the Bagginsesessss' Quests... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
..."...For, as many songs have since sung, it was the Periannath, the Little People, dwellers in hillsides and meadows, that brought them deliverance.
...For Frodo the Halfling, it is said, at the bidding of Mithrandir took on himself the burden, and alone with his servant he passed through peril and darkness and came at last in Sauron's despite even to Mount Doom; and there into the Fire where it was wrought he cast the Great Ring of Power, and so at last it was unmade and its evil consumed."

AND

From Of the Finding of the Ring: The Fellowship of the Ring: Prologue
..."As is told in The Hobbit, there came one day to Bilbo's door and the great Wizard, Gandalf the Grey, and thirteen dwarves with him... ...Thorin Oakenshield, descendant of kings, and his twelve companions in exile. With them he set out, to his own lasting astonishment, on a morning of April... ...on a quest of great treasure, the dwarf-hoards of the Kings under the Mountain, beneath Erebor in Dale, far off in the East. The quest was successful, and the Dragon that guarded the hoard was destroyed. Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought, and Thorin was slain, and many deeds of renown were done, the matter would scarcely have concerned later history... ...but for an 'accident' by the way. The party was assailed by Orcs in a high pass of the Misty Mountains as they went towards Wilderland; and so it happened that Bilbo was lost for a while in the black orc-mines deep under the mountains, and there, as he groped in vain in the dark, he put his hand on a ring, lying on the floor of a tunnel. He put it in his pocket. It seemed then like mere luck.
...Trying to find his way out, Bilbo went on down to the roots of the mountains, until he could go no further. At the bottom of the tunnel lay a cold lake far from the light, and on an island of rock in the water lived Gollum.... ...He possessed a secret treasure that had come to him long ages ago, when he lived still in the light: a ring of gold that made its wearer invisible. It was the one thing he loved, his 'precious', and he talked to it, even when it was not with him... ....For he kept it hidden safe in a hole on his island, except when he was hunting or spying on the orcs of the mines....
......[After escaping and reuniting with his companions, Bilbo's] account was that Gollum had promised to give him a present, if he won the game; but when Gollum went to fetch it from his island he found the treasure was gone: a magic ring, which had been given to him long ago on his birthday. Bilbo guessed that this was the very ring that he had found, and as he had won the game, it was already his by right. But being in a tight place, he said nothing about it, and made Gollum show him the way out, as a reward instead of a present. This account Bilbo set down in his memoirs...."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 30 2014, 2:06pm

Post #3 of 3 (931 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 30, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn depart from the Elves.
(determined from text)
... "Gandalf and Bilbo rode behind the Elvenking, and beside them strode Beorn... ...and he laughed and sang in a loud voice upon the road. So they went on until they drew near to the borders of Mirkwood, to the north of the place where the Forest River ran out. Then they halted, for the wizard and Bilbo would not enter the wood, even though the king bade them stay a while in his halls. They intended to go along the edge of the forest, and round its northern end in the waste that lay between it and the beginning of the Grey Mountains... ...Moreover Beorn was going that way too.
..."Farewell! O Elvenking!" said Gandalf. "Merry be the greenwood, while the world is yet young! And merry be all your folk!"
..."Farewell! O Gandalf... ...May you ever appear where you are most needed and least expected! The oftener you appear in my halls the better shall I be pleased!"
..."I beg of you," said Bilbo stammering and standing on one foot, "to accept this gift!" and he brought out a necklace of silver and pearls that Dain had given him at their parting.
... "In what way have I earned such a gift, O hobbit...?"
... "...Well, er, I thought, don't you know," said Bilbo rather confused, "that, er, some little return should be made for your, er, hospitality. I mean even a burglar has his feelings. I have drunk much of your wine and eaten much of your bread."
... "I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!" said the king gravely. "And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)! Farewell!"
... Then the elves turned towards the Forest, and Bilbo started on his long road home."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.