Christmas Time

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 28 2014, 5:33pm

Post #1 of 15 (226 views)
Shortcut
Christmas Time Can't Post

I love that time of the year.

In Germany (and in some other countries too) we have this time before Christmas called "Advent". Often you get calenders for the 24 days of December until Holy Night... Each day containing a box filled with a nice picture, sweets and similar things.

I got a special one this year from my better half - all Elven style with Tengwar numbers and all :)

One last Middle-earthy Christmas time (however, Christmas will always be Tolkien time for me as I first read the book that time in 1999).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 28 2014, 5:34pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 28 2014, 5:59pm

Post #2 of 15 (160 views)
Shortcut
For me as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Christmas 2012. The Hobbit. Life hasn't been the same since.

Happy Advent! Smile

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 28 2014, 11:46pm

Post #3 of 15 (141 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit and Christmas will always go together for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I received The Hobbit book as a Christmas present 14 years ago and haven't looked back since. It's funny I still remember exactly where and when I read the first page and just instantly fell in love with that world.

And then of course, a year later, The Fellowship of the Ring premiered, so there are quite a few pleasant Christmas memories with Tolkien for me.

Even Tolkien aside, I've always loved Christmas time, though. It brings light to an otherwise very dreary time of year.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 29 2014, 8:26pm

Post #4 of 15 (139 views)
Shortcut
And I always thought it was [In reply to] Can't Post

The Twelve Days of Christmas…. With Dancing Ladies, Maids Milking, Drummers Drumming and so on….

And, get this:: There were FIVE, I say, FIVE GOLD RINGS – Can you believe it!! Wink

Well, Happy Advent anyhoo…

Image result for christmas emoticons

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 29 2014, 10:59pm

Post #5 of 15 (152 views)
Shortcut
They're different. [In reply to] Can't Post

Advent is the 4 Sundays before Christmas Day, theoretically a time for prayerful contemplation in preparation for the event, although many of us prepare a little more actively. Smile

The Twelve Days of Christmas are the time after Christmas, between Christmas Day and Epiphany (January 6). Traditionally, Epiphany celebrates the visit of the Three Kings, and more generally, the realization that Jesus is Special.

I believe both of these are observed in all variants of Christianity that follow the traditional Ecclesiastical calendar.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Nov 29 2014, 11:04pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 30 2014, 1:47am

Post #6 of 15 (130 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize that "The Twelve Days of Christmas" was anymore than a witty catchy Christmas Carol.

Now googling I also find the twelve days are called 'Christmastide'. I like that!

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Nov 30 2014, 1:50am)

squire
Half-elven

Nov 30 2014, 2:01am

Post #7 of 15 (135 views)
Shortcut
But can you explain... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Boxing Day??

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 30 2014, 2:46am

Post #8 of 15 (130 views)
Shortcut
Shakespeare's Twelfth Night [In reply to] Can't Post

"Twelfth Night; or, What You Will is a comedy by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written around 1601–02 as a Twelfth Night's entertainment for the close of the Christmas season. "

The Morris Dancers celebrate Twelfth Night around here and sing the, "The King," with its line, "Old Christmas is past, Twelfth Night is the last, And we bid you adieu, great joy to the new"

http://mainlynorfolk.info/...y/songs/thewren.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4lhU6q46Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXBIsijGI6k

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2014, 3:15am

Post #9 of 15 (127 views)
Shortcut
Probably makes as much sense [In reply to] Can't Post

as the day after Thanksgiving. While the banks and the stock exchanges are open on Friday, the rest of the US that can have a day off are either shopping, eating leftovers, or watching television.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 30 2014, 2:25pm

Post #10 of 15 (113 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

It's either

or

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Nov 30 2014, 7:27pm

Post #11 of 15 (110 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

An extra day off work for us Brits Wink

I work in a chocolate factory and I've already produced and packed foiled chocolate eggs(not the creme eggs) for Easter Shocked

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 30 2014, 8:34pm

Post #12 of 15 (101 views)
Shortcut
And they call that [In reply to] Can't Post

Black Friday...

As it should be. Good day to stay home!!! and

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 30 2014, 8:40pm

Post #13 of 15 (98 views)
Shortcut
Uummm! Tasty job. Yum, yum.. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Nov 30 2014, 9:42pm

Post #14 of 15 (97 views)
Shortcut
Boxing day, according to Wikipedia - [In reply to] Can't Post

Boxing Day is traditionally the day following Christmas Day, when servants and tradespeople would receive gifts, known as a "Christmas box", from their bosses or employers.[1] Today, Boxing Day is the bank holiday that generally takes place on 26 December. It is observed in the United Kingdom, Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Kenya, South Africa, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica and other Commonwealth nations, as well as Norway,the Netherlands and Sweden.
In South Africa, Boxing Day was renamed Day of Goodwill in 1994. The day is known as St. Stephen's Day in Italy, Finland, and Alsace and Moselle in France. It is also known as both St. Stephen's Day and the Day of the Wren or Wren's Day in Ireland. In many European countries, including notably Germany, Poland, the Netherlands and those in Scandinavia, 26 December is celebrated as the Second Christmas Day.[2]

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 30 2014, 10:23pm

Post #15 of 15 (107 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he knows about second Christmas, Pip. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.