Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 1 2014, 7:14pm

Post #26 of 35 (117 views)
Shortcut
Besides Excaliber I'd recommend... [In reply to] Can't Post

Knights of the Round Table (1953): Pretty much pure Hollywood (though actually a British production.). Apparently the writers did read Malory. It's in Cinemascope so try to get letterbox.

Guinevere (1994): From Guinevere’s point of view.

Mists of Avalon (2001 miniseries): From Morgan le Fey’s point of view.

Also for silliness, A Connecticut Yankee (1931, Will Rogers stars) and Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975).

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man pierced with many black-feathered arrows must be in want of a funeral."

Annael
Immortal

Dec 1 2014, 9:12pm

Post #27 of 35 (100 views)
Shortcut
Excalibur is the best [In reply to] Can't Post

if you can find "Perceval le Gallois" I'd recommend it too. It's based on the earlier tales by Chretien de Troyes which don't actually feature Arthur.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 1 2014, 9:30pm

Post #28 of 35 (102 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about recommending Perceval le Gallois (1978) too! Have you seen the 1982 version of Wagner's Parsifal? Both it and Rohmer's film can be rewarding.

Also Fire and Sword (1982), a German/French film about Tristan and Isolde.

And yeah, you're right. It's Excalibur with a "u"... *hangs head*

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man pierced with many black-feathered arrows must be in want of a funeral."

Patty
Immortal

Dec 1 2014, 10:28pm

Post #29 of 35 (94 views)
Shortcut
I blame Siri for my incorrect spelling of Excalibur... [In reply to] Can't Post

because I used voice dictation to post and she spelled it wrong.Evil

Thanks for the suggestions, Annael and Darkstone.

Permanent address: Into the West

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 1 2014, 11:34pm

Post #30 of 35 (90 views)
Shortcut
I'm still waiting and hoping for the great Arthurian movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, Excalibur has come the closest so far.
The 50s era movie Prince Valiant is not awful, and some of it is set in classic Camelot.

All in all, I'd rather read The Once and Future King than watch any Arthur movie.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Patty
Immortal

Dec 1 2014, 11:46pm

Post #31 of 35 (89 views)
Shortcut
The current stream on the BBC iPlayer of the once and future King is very good [In reply to] Can't Post

You remember that Brian Sibley did a great job with the BBC version of the lord of the rings. . I've never read the once and future king, but this dramatization is, I think close to the book. The voice acting is excellent. And the BBC iPlayer is free if you just go to BBC .com

Patty
Immortal

Dec 1 2014, 11:53pm

Post #32 of 35 (92 views)
Shortcut
Boom. Not on Netflix or Amazon streaming [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't even find it on YouTube.Frown

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 2 2014, 12:04am

Post #33 of 35 (87 views)
Shortcut
try the library? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's assuming you still have a DVD player... And it's on DVD... And the library has it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Patty
Immortal

Dec 2 2014, 12:10am

Post #34 of 35 (90 views)
Shortcut
**hangs head in shame** [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you know, I never even thought of that! That comes of spending too much time on the iPad, I reckon.

The clips that are on YouTube show this as having very good costumes but a background that is computer-generated in such a way that it is a little distracting. And the only clips I could find were in French. I had two years of French in college but it was way, way too many years ago.

(This post was edited by Patty on Dec 2 2014, 12:12am)

Patty
Immortal

Dec 2 2014, 12:37am

Post #35 of 35 (101 views)
Shortcut
And even though this thread is about visual media… [In reply to] Can't Post

There is currently a version of Clarissa on the BBC iPlayer, a dramatization starring Richard Armitage. Has anyone ever heard of him? You can listen to his awesome voice to your heart,s content.HeartWink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.