The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
You guys are doing it again...

Kathuphazgân
The Shire

Nov 27 2014, 2:46pm

Post #1 of 17 (1393 views)
Shortcut
You guys are doing it again... Can't Post

...with the misleading "spoiler" tags in subject lines.

When I see something labeled with the term "spoiler," I expect to see cool new photos and read exciting little tidbits about the upcoming film when I click on it.

Instead, people are using the spoiler tag to label posts that contain nothing more than plot points from the book, or worse yet--merely personal fan theories and wild speculation.

I don't think that's right; it makes me feel cheated when I fall for it.

Imago Splendoris Regem Hominorum In Gloria Non Obscura Ante Ruptus Mundi.

(This post was edited by Kathuphazgân on Nov 27 2014, 2:49pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 2:49pm

Post #2 of 17 (615 views)
Shortcut
People do that to make sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

... someone who doesn't know certain aspects does not have them spoiled.

Better safe than sorry.

It is really better that someone might feel a bit disappointed by the information he finds in a thread than someone reading something that he or she might not have want to know.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 2:51pm

Post #3 of 17 (581 views)
Shortcut
To me, at this point [In reply to] Can't Post

A "spoiler" is leaked information about the movie, and even then, everyone who spends time here knows that they are here at their own risk, so close to release (the mods even created a thread about this). Everyone on this board has read the book. I agree with the OP.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 2:55pm

Post #4 of 17 (545 views)
Shortcut
But where is it happening? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two threads on the first page right now... one which might contain leaked information and one that particularly says "book spoiler".

I do not see the major issue.

I agree that it is a bit annoying when people try to make their threads and posts look more interesting by using the word "spoiler". But I do not see where this has happened over the last pages to a larger degree. I think some people simply try to be super-careful.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 27 2014, 3:01pm)

Name
Rohan

Nov 27 2014, 2:56pm

Post #5 of 17 (528 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I agree with you as well [In reply to] Can't Post

It's become so bad that I no longer take notice to spoiler tags. Not a huge deal, but it's a little annoying.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 3:09pm

Post #6 of 17 (545 views)
Shortcut
EVERYONE Should Read Silverlode's POST ABOVE..NOW [In reply to] Can't Post

Turning your Spoiler into the same Color as the
Background is a Fun Experiment, TOO!
for us Geeks that didn't know how to do it?

WOW,, this IZZ..gunna be Fun!

bom
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 3:20pm

Post #7 of 17 (489 views)
Shortcut
Disagree, and until Dec 1 I will err re caution [In reply to] Can't Post

Because at times fan speculation can actually spoil; also at this time some folks are trying to hang in reading only selected posts. Seems to me real juicy spoilers have either been marked "new" or there are additions in the titles.

I hear the OP, but minor irritation over something not being juicy enough I think is preferable over someone innocently tripping into a MAJOR spoiler that kind of ruins the movie for them. True, the mods do have warnings upHeart.

But a little consideration doesn't hurt IMO, keeps things classy. It's not long anyway - a few days if thatUnsure - then really, IMO those who want to know nothing need to go. For myself tho if I hadn't stuck around, would have missed the Empire covers announcement.Shocked

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 3:27pm

Post #8 of 17 (480 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, but I'm just saying [In reply to] Can't Post

That in general, I think, on a Tolkien forum, creating a thread called for instance "How will they handle Thorin's death?" is not a spoiler, IMO.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 3:45pm

Post #9 of 17 (476 views)
Shortcut
mac is RIGHT! THis izz also the Season Some LURKERzz [In reply to] Can't Post

... Come out of the WOODwork..

Those that jus'pass a litl'..of their
PRECIOUS time...For years

BUT then...SURPRIZE?...post..

HUM hum..Very interestin...

bomby
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Nov 27 2014, 3:47pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Nov 27 2014, 4:06pm

Post #10 of 17 (445 views)
Shortcut
Agreed!! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I see SPOILERS!!! I expect something from the movie I've not heard or that is in a way an official spoiler (like the supposed viewer who posted spoilers). Saying spoilers and just merely speculating isn't really spoilers, more of a fan theory going off pictures or actor tidbits. And Book Spoilers... c'mon, I think everyone here has read The Hobbit, or at least know what's gonna happen. Really, the only major spoiler from the book is the deaths of Thorin, Fili, and Kili, nothing else is really needed for a Book Spoiler tag.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"When faced with death, what can anyone do?" -Bilbo Baggins

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 4:41pm

Post #11 of 17 (442 views)
Shortcut
Just a thought but if this is a repeated experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it be easier just to change your expectation of the content of posts marked "spoiler" rather than try to change others' posting habits to meet your expectations?

Might be more likely to succeed!

Name
Rohan

Nov 27 2014, 4:47pm

Post #12 of 17 (417 views)
Shortcut
Haha! You may be right! [In reply to] Can't Post

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 5:04pm

Post #13 of 17 (403 views)
Shortcut
There is something Else to consider? [In reply to] Can't Post

Some Paid professionals writers

Use TORn???

as an Un-Named source...
since we are considered
the Geekiest of Tolkien Geeks
in many ways...

(..Opps? did JUS' Bomby give away thier... Secret?)

"Shame on Bomby..shame, Shame..shame
on Bad.. Bomby..)

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 27 2014, 5:27pm

Post #14 of 17 (402 views)
Shortcut
Understand that [In reply to] Can't Post

spoilers can mean different things to different people. We ask everyone to use a spoiler tag if they're not sure, and we're grateful that the members here do use spoiler tags. While you might be occasionally disappointed that the item marked as spoiler might not meet your definition, we have people from all kinds of different backgrounds and experiences with the movies and the books, and the post might be a spoiler for them.

When you participate in a large and diverse community, you will be exposed to diverse perspectives.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Nov 27 2014, 7:40pm

Post #15 of 17 (301 views)
Shortcut
At this time so close to release, kind of hard to. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see if it was June/July and a SPOILER title came up, because you know there is hardly any info and just mere speculation. But with only a month or two to release, that's when info and spoilers start pouring in, so kind of hard to know if it'll be the usually bait of getting a discussion or a genuine spoiler from the film.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"When faced with death, what can anyone do?" -Bilbo Baggins

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 17 (273 views)
Shortcut
Well fingers crossed for you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps all the other posters will change the way they post.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 28 2014, 3:27pm

Post #17 of 17 (157 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

You have a good point, which others have complained about.

The "SPOILERS" in the subject suggests that actual spoilers will follow, that there are leaks from the film or otherwise info that is new and spoilerish.

It is not spoilerish to post "I think Legolas might kill Bolg".

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.