The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Where is Beorn ???

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 6:47am

Post #1 of 17 (900 views)
Shortcut
Where is Beorn ??? Can't Post

All the posters, teasers and articles there is not one mention of Beorn. We all know he plays a decisive role in the book.

The flames of war are upon you..

Saneliur
Bree

Nov 27 2014, 6:51am

Post #2 of 17 (608 views)
Shortcut
And that's exactly why he's not there [In reply to] Can't Post

They're keeping him a secret. A surprise, for those who have not read the book. I'm glad they haven't shown him tbh, makes it all the more exciting to see his role in the movie.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Nov 27 2014, 6:57am

Post #3 of 17 (559 views)
Shortcut
I'm just hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

his role is the same as the book - normally I'm very open to most changes, but if his role were swapped with Legolas, I think I would be preeeetty ticked.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 8:48am

Post #4 of 17 (485 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's what I hope too....// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 27 2014, 9:58am

Post #5 of 17 (474 views)
Shortcut
Why so much fuss... [In reply to] Can't Post

...about Beorn.

If I remember correctly he wasn't that kind of a big deal in the book (aside from his appearance in "queer lodgings).
He was mentioned in a few lines in the "Clouds are bursting"-chapter.
Some kind of Deus ex machine like the eagles.

I bet, if it looks badass, then PJ will show the audience. He invented a hoard of trolls, because they look badass when fighting - so will Beorn and his fight-scenes won't end up in the SEE.
PJ wants to impress the casual movie-goers, not the ones who love the quiet senes from the book.

So no worries - Beorn will have more fight-scenes in the movie, then Tolkien mentioned in the book.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 10:06am

Post #6 of 17 (473 views)
Shortcut
Where is Beorn indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a good question. It's a great shame that such a memorable and important character has been so short-changed in the film (despite very good visual development of his domain, and great character development), in favour of vacuous ninja action sequences, etc.

He should have been part of the marketing for the final film, at least.Unimpressed

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 2:56pm

Post #7 of 17 (422 views)
Shortcut
Well, Boern & Dain are Held Back on Purpose... [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Serve the same role... Both turn the Tide of the WAR!

DAIN's Charge comes First
BEORN's Charge comes LAST..

SSOoo. keeping them under-wraps makes Perfect Sense, Cinematically...

OPINION ONLY
littl' ol' bomby

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 2:58pm

Post #8 of 17 (413 views)
Shortcut
You say that very often... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's a good question. It's a great shame that such a memorable and important character has been so short-changed in the film (despite very good visual development of his domain, and great character development), in favour of vacuous ninja action sequences, etc.

He should have been part of the marketing for the final film, at least.Unimpressed

... and I really wonder whether the "in favour of" is true.

Being at such different stages of the movie the Beorn and Elf-fighting scenes surely have not been a "either this scene or that scene". Cutting some of the fight stuff might not have led PJ saying "now we can have the Beorn scene". Rather the opposite... if he felt Beorn made the opening too slow, ditching action scenes would probably increased that feeling. IMHO.

Myself, I agree that the Beorn scene should have been in the TE... but more because of their influence on the urgency and Gandalf's mission.

Marketing-wise it makes perfect sense to leave him out, imho. There is enough to tease the audience with and his appearance may be one of the biggest surprises for non-readers (next to the deaths). Most people will expect the eagles to appear but not Beorn.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 27 2014, 3:00pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 4:06pm

Post #9 of 17 (366 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Not in my books, it doesn't – and I'm not one of the 'most people' who 'expect the eagles to appear but not Beorn'.

Still, we are all different and have different opinions…

In Reply To
Marketing-wise it makes perfect sense to leave him out, imho. Most people will expect the eagles to appear but not Beorn.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 5:48pm

Post #10 of 17 (349 views)
Shortcut
Thorin is Denethor... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is Denethor
Bolg is Gothmog
Azog the Witch King
The trolls are the Mumakil

Dain's army is Theoden's army?
The eagles are the army of the dead?
And Beorn is...? Legolas?

Or maybe Legolas is Legolas. The theory started well anyway Tongue

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Nov 27 2014, 5:58pm

Post #11 of 17 (325 views)
Shortcut
I'd say most of those are pretty spot on [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'd guess Beorn is probably this film's Army of the Dead. Wink

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 28 2014, 6:13am

Post #12 of 17 (246 views)
Shortcut
Jail? [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't he in jail?

Or was that "resolved" some how?

Saneliur
Bree

Nov 28 2014, 6:32am

Post #13 of 17 (247 views)
Shortcut
Beorn the Skinchanger, not Bard the Bowman... [In reply to] Can't Post

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 28 2014, 4:15pm

Post #14 of 17 (222 views)
Shortcut
My lame joke... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was referring to the actor

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2014, 6:49am

Post #15 of 17 (204 views)
Shortcut
LOL actually the actor is in ... [In reply to] Can't Post

jail! pretty crazy but at least he finished his mo-capping for BOT5A according to WETA.

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 29 2014, 3:50pm

Post #16 of 17 (193 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

...out of sensitivity for the Swedish audience, Beorn was omitted from the trailers.

Or maybe there is a studio (or even television/movie industry) policy: do not promote movies (or anything really) using known criminals.

Or maybe the highlightable clips of Beorn depict him looking so frothing mad that he looks high on something.

In other words, there is a chance that Beorn's absence from the trailers has more to do with the actor's problem than the character's "surprise" factor.

Regardless, hopefully we'll get to see lots of Mikael/Beorn in the movie itself, because he was great in DoS, especially the extended cut!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2014, 7:08pm

Post #17 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
you know it makes it even more exciting [In reply to] Can't Post

its a good move on PJ's part now that i think about it. We all know there is no way PJ will cut him out.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.