On my work

Feanor5691

Nov 26 2014, 7:23am

Post #1 of 7 (911 views)
Shortcut
On my work Can't Post

Hello friends and fans.
Remember me?
Well, I remember you, because I used your answers for my senior thesis and now the time has come to see the fruits of my labor...
I wrote my thesis and I also made a presentation on it... and here it is
I hope you enjoy it... feel free to tell me what you think whether you agree with me or not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE9tGPoPiss

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 26 2014, 5:44pm)

Annael
Immortal

Nov 26 2014, 3:06pm

Post #2 of 7 (721 views)
Shortcut
congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed your talk.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 26 2014, 5:22pm

Post #3 of 7 (726 views)
Shortcut
"Have you accepted Lord of the Rings as your personal book and savior?" :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

That was fun. Thank you. I'm interested that it was so hard for you to read the book when you loved the story so much. My son was much the same way. I read it to him when he was nine, and he has always loved it, but I don't think he's ever read it himself (he's in his thirties).

I read it once in Spanish, after a couple dozen times in English. And that was interesting. Spanish is such a sensuous language, and things that might seem too flowery in English sound perfectly fine in Spanish. So it brought a richness to the story. (Aragorn was particularly yummy in Spanish.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

noWizardme
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 8:39pm

Post #4 of 7 (674 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for coming back with the results! [In reply to] Can't Post

Always interesting to see what comes of research people do here! I enjoyed your talk. You're a good speaker!

Your thoughts about "possession" of a book one has read reminded me of this:

There are certain emotions in your body that not even your best friend can sympathize with, but you will find the right film or the right book, and it will understand you.
Bjork

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 11:31pm

Post #5 of 7 (668 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great lecture! I had never thought about taking ownership of, or taking pride in, LOTR or other literature, but it's true; I do feel those things about my favorite books. Films and music as well. Thanks for the insight.

And congratulations! Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Nov 27 2014, 11:32pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2014, 7:49am

Post #6 of 7 (664 views)
Shortcut
Ha! - very apt considering Viggo is fluent in Spanish (and several other languages!) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I read it once in Spanish, after a couple dozen times in English. And that was interesting. Spanish is such a sensuous language, and things that might seem too flowery in English sound perfectly fine in Spanish. So it brought a richness to the story. (Aragorn was particularly yummy in Spanish.)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Æ Victoria Monfort

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2014, 8:27pm

Post #7 of 7 (695 views)
Shortcut
Oh.. Well Done!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally was able to view your presentation... and it was GREAT! I want your Dad to read The Lord of the Rings to me! :D

I love your passion and that out of all the responses from TORn, that you were able to see the personal passion and reflectiveness of the individual reader... as you are yourself. Not just geeks :)

Bravo!!!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.