BOTF's review score anticipation
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 11:48am

Post #26 of 38 (263 views)
Shortcut
RT has an average rating as well [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of folks concentrate only on the percentage which is as you said based on the negative / positive ratio but RT also features an average rating that goes from 1 to 10.

AUJ 6.6
DOS 6.8

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 26 2014, 11:52am)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 12:07pm

Post #27 of 38 (272 views)
Shortcut
Mockingjay part 1 is settling on AUJ RT score. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is surprising to me, I thought the critics worshipped that franchise.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 26 2014, 12:30pm

Post #28 of 38 (266 views)
Shortcut
If it wasn't for the critics beloved [In reply to] Can't Post

actor Jennifer Lawrence,the score could probably settle in the low 50's or high 40's. I am sure critics worship the Hunger Games franchise but even more they worship Jennifer Lawrence and now,they cannot easily forgive the fact that it was split in two parts.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Nov 26 2014, 12:32pm)

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 26 2014, 12:39pm

Post #29 of 38 (233 views)
Shortcut
IMDb [In reply to] Can't Post

At least both AUJ and DOS still have fair ratings on IMDb (8,0).

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 26 2014, 12:44pm

Post #30 of 38 (250 views)
Shortcut
A lot of critics already know what score they are going to give it [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, you will be surprised at the number of reviewers that have already written their reviews, just leaving a few sentences here and there to be filled in after they've seen the film.

A certain chunk of the review will be spent talking snidely about the "cash-grab" of turning a short book into a trilogy. Another chunk will be spent complaining that the film is too long (even though it's only 144 minutes), another chunk will be moaning about the likes of Legolas etc. "a character who wasn't even in the book!", they will cry. Another chunk will be spent saying how it doesn't reach the lofty heights of the LotR films. Etc. etc. ad nauseam, ad infinitum.

I'm not going to read any reviews at all.

* crunch *

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 26 2014, 12:49pm

Post #31 of 38 (222 views)
Shortcut
Wow - I've never once spotted that bizarre feature! Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
RT also features an average rating that goes from 1 to 10.

Just had a look. I have never, ever noticed that! It's a tiny little additional piece of information below the main, headline percentage, right?

Weird. Why would they do that? Why present the "Average Rating"? All it does is undermine their headline percentage! I'm look at "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" right now and its Average Rating is 7.9 out of 10 but their trademark headline figure they've decided to promote (in colour and in bold) is 91%!!

Just checked another example. "Guardians of the Galaxy": Average Rating 7.7; headline RT score 90%!!

No wonder studios prefer the distortion of 'Rotten Tomatoes' to the simplicity of 'Metacritic' ShockedLaugh

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 1:13pm

Post #32 of 38 (218 views)
Shortcut
If you know what the numbers mean they make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

You can like a movie while still giving it a rating bellow 7. It might not be in your top 10 or 20 of the year but it was not bad enough to give it a dislike.

Sure, higher numbers look better. It's only natural studios would rather pick them. Interestingly enough, AUJ has a higher average rating than the "tomatometer".

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 1:39pm

Post #33 of 38 (204 views)
Shortcut
They do that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... because so many reviews come without a score. Especially many Top Critics don't give a score. So the average number misses quite a lot of influential reviews.

I agree that MC is much better... Though has its own issues. It is definitely more difficult to get a high MC score.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 1:46pm

Post #34 of 38 (217 views)
Shortcut
I was surprised... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... by MJ1's score at first as well. Though after seeing the movie I am not anymore. The movie simply has too many issues to be overlooked even by the biggest JLaw worshippers among critics.

I loved the split of Deathly Hallows and still think that DH1 is the best Potter. But in the case of The Hunger Games this split of Mockingjay leads absolutely nowhere.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 26 2014, 1:54pm

Post #35 of 38 (210 views)
Shortcut
Agree about Harry Potter! [In reply to] Can't Post

DH1 is my favourite Potter movie as well but the sequence of Snape's true agenda Harry saw, is my favourite scene of the whole series.

I haven't seen MJ1 yet but i did not like the first 2 films much.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Nov 26 2014, 1:54pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2014, 2:38pm

Post #36 of 38 (176 views)
Shortcut
Thang YOU Berry Buch..Kenny for the Explanation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Name
Rohan

Nov 26 2014, 3:50pm

Post #37 of 38 (173 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I first watched The Hunger Games, years ago, and found it to be way overhyped. Some of the movie was downright sloppy to be perfectly honest. I'm looking forward to how the franchise wraps things up. They're working off great content, and these movies had a lot of potential.

But this is The Hobbit boards, not HG. Laugh

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

adu
Bree

Nov 26 2014, 4:01pm

Post #38 of 38 (170 views)
Shortcut
Hope you have a fantastic screening... [In reply to] Can't Post

Look forward to you reporting back...my only request is on your reaction post please clearly separate points about the film in general and spoilers :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.