The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"The Hobbit Legacy" video on The Hobbit movie's FB

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Nov 25 2014, 7:31pm

Post #1 of 11 (1179 views)
Shortcut
"The Hobbit Legacy" video on The Hobbit movie's FB Can't Post

An all encompassing retrospective. A little like that 1:00 video but almost 3 Laugh

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=757216760980598&set=vb.160617097307237&type=2&theater
It's really ending Frown

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 7:58pm

Post #2 of 11 (506 views)
Shortcut
I dunno, putting LOTR music with Hobbit footage just feels wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

They should have went with Hobbit music for the whole 2nd half (even though it still would have been quite a stylistic inconsistency compared to the 1st half) or better yet something else like the first half which featured generic (but great!) trailer music.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 25 2014, 8:01pm)

Fàfnir
Rohan

Nov 25 2014, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 11 (500 views)
Shortcut
Is it Dain without his helmet on the right at 2:34 ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Matches the description... I think I even distinguish the tusk-like moustache

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 8:14pm

Post #4 of 11 (482 views)
Shortcut
Generic Music for LotR footage...LotR music for The Hobbit footage...makes NO sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you regarding the music. Crazy

They've got 5, going on 6, movies worth of Howard Shore's magnificent score to choose from. There's no excuse for them to use generic trailer music anywhere. But to then go and use the Fellowship Theme for the Hobbit footage (especially when they were leading into the Misty Mountains theme with the dwarves' singing) is just mind boggling.

I'd give anything to be the editor of the Hobbits advertisements. Or at least have it be someone who doesn't bungle something that should be so difficult to mess up.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

caglarkuraner
Bree

Nov 25 2014, 8:54pm

Post #5 of 11 (413 views)
Shortcut
Epic music with LotR footage. [In reply to] Can't Post

AMAZING!

soundtrack?

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 25 2014, 9:26pm

Post #6 of 11 (387 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel gets more focus/screen time than Saruman? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why? The single line of "Leave Sauron to me" generated more hype than anything Tauriel-related that I've seen. Plus, in a video that's supposed to encompass all 6 films, Saruman was left out, which makes no sense when he had a big part in 2 of them.

I am very excited to see this movie but I just am questioning some of WB's marketing decisions here. Nothing personal, I just don't get how you can show an invented character so much while barely giving a hint to a key Tolkien character that has a crucial in the plot of the books and movies, and is played by one of the most awesome actors in recent memory.

This is all IMO of course, I just wanted to post my thoughts Cool

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Nov 25 2014, 9:28pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 25 2014, 9:31pm

Post #7 of 11 (388 views)
Shortcut
I have mixed feeling about this [In reply to] Can't Post

On principle I have nothing against using LotR to promote The Hobbit movies, but something about the execution of this video is not quite working for me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the music, like people have pointed out. Using LotR music, especially the very recognizable Fellowship theme, for Hobbit footage just doesn't seem quite right, especially when it's been edited so that it doesn't even flow very well.

The Last Farewell video, on the other hand, is a good example of how mixing material from both trilogies can work to a great effect.

Bishop
Gondor

Nov 25 2014, 10:49pm

Post #8 of 11 (356 views)
Shortcut
Can't really blame WB and Jackson and co. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a bad strategy to fall back on three critically lauded academy award winning films, all nominated for best picture, in this last marketing push. Also in fairness it is the last film about ME (at present), and it is a bit of a final hurrah for the filmmakers so I'd say let them have their fun. "The Last Goodbye" seems to be more about the filmmakers than about the story itself, so I figure this is all part of the same thing.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2014, 12:14am

Post #9 of 11 (314 views)
Shortcut
ABSOLUTELY AGREE.....with the current State of Mass Media [In reply to] Can't Post

it seems the VAST amount of Options is MUCH, much Greater...YouTUBE was young, Streaming HD Movies on your Smartphones? or I Pads?..
unheard of, then...

SSOoo. casual observers who enjoyed LOTR
need to be Reminded of what a THRILL RIDE..
PJ & CO produced...back then.

Which is ANOTHER reason, He added the Extra
"Whistles & Bells" of Dolby ATMOS, High Frame Rate
& is THE First! to Build the Red Epic Cameras "inter-ocular" (5K) for 3D.

(Technical people studied Vblog 8, since He Literally gave AWAY for FREE SSoo. much Information to them? there)

Those things are Revolutionary & will be with us for a long
Time
Thanks to PJ for pushing the
Technical Envelope.

AND... lets not Forget how important "Massive" is..for Huge crowds
First EVER seen in the Battle of the FIRST Alliance?..

BUT people even here?,..FORGET That the Guy who invented the Software for Realistic FIRE!.. invented this? there, in Wellington..(Lighting the Beacons?) which is used Everywhere in ALL media...now.

Years from Now, we we look ALL Look Back on it?
And say Thank you...Maybe?

Bomby (WHO is? an old retired TV NewsCameraman..1971)
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 2:13am

Post #10 of 11 (238 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The footage also was okay. I felt though with the LOTR music over the whole thing it kind of lost it's lustre. Wish they would have used Hobbit music and also..more Bilbo. Too much of the other stuff.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 12:56pm

Post #11 of 11 (180 views)
Shortcut
Good that youput things in perspective...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.