Maybe Orom� the Great can read this script

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 8 (534 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Orom� the Great can read this script Can't Post

but I'm having a hard time!

Just returning to the boards, I'm finding that accented characters are appearing respelled with some other code, as seen in the subject line. You've probably already discussed this topic, but I would appreciate enlightenment (or an edict to use characters without accents).

Thank you for your prescience, O mods.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 25 2014, 6:08pm

Post #2 of 8 (460 views)
Shortcut
Are you posting [In reply to] Can't Post

in Basic Editor with the Post Style changed to Markup and HTML? If not, would you give that a try and see if it works?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 25 2014, 10:11pm

Post #3 of 8 (450 views)
Shortcut
It's not the posting... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's her browser not displaying things like the accented letters correctly. Some words for her look like one of our unedited News from Bree posts. Tongue

Didn't someone at some point have a recommendation for how to read the strange fonts - use a different browser, or download something?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 25 2014, 10:49pm

Post #4 of 8 (446 views)
Shortcut
There are multiple causes and multiple 'fixes' which might or might not work ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... since it's hard to identify the cause. It's kind of throwing various darts at the problem till one of them works.

The first thing I'd check is that Elanor's browser is up to date.

Elanor, what browser are you using? That will help us direct you in figuring out how to determine if your browser is up to date and/or how to update it.

Caveat: I am just someone who used to have this problem so I'm a bit familiar with the issue. But there are people with higher tech abilities for me so if they step in... I direct your attention to them. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 11:11pm

Post #5 of 8 (455 views)
Shortcut
yes, the problem is reading others' posts, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm using what should be the latest Firefox. I reset it a few days ago to try to solve a problem with crashes.

JRRT certainly was fond of "e" with an acute accent Unsure especially for the Rohirrim Frown I can mentally sub the correct spelling, but it gets tedious and slow.

Thanks for any advice.

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 11:38pm

Post #6 of 8 (443 views)
Shortcut
just a tip about Firefox [In reply to] Can't Post

my uncle works extensively with computers, and he informed me that the recent firefox update 33.1.1 is actually a scam, and went through his workplace last week.

It's a pretty nasty virus, hiding under the guise of being a firefox update, so I would run a virus scan if I were you and see if that solves your problem Smile

If not, then it's probably something else. But as soon as I saw that you were using the latest version from a couple days ago, I thought I'd let you know Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 26 2014, 3:41am

Post #7 of 8 (455 views)
Shortcut
If you think your browser is up to date... [In reply to] Can't Post

then I would suggest a few things.

Link us to one of the posts where you're seeing glitches to insure that no one else is, either. The fault might not be on your end.

---------------------------------

If you have another browser installed, like Internet Explorer, try it with that browser. I'm not sure I can say what to do with that info but other more tech savvy people might want the info.

-----------------------------------

Here is (I think) the most recent request for help on this problem. Inferno provided some suggestions:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=640759#640759

In that thread, I found and linked to an older thread on the subject.

-----------------------------------

do a google search > firefox characters not displaying correctly

And see if any of the suggestions in those help. It can be a bit daunting.

One suggestion on this page says to clear your cache:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1013307

and walks you through the process.

-------------------------------------------

for what's its worth, I had a continual problem with this when I was using Firefox. It was one of the reasons I stopped using it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2014, 8:59pm

Post #8 of 8 (431 views)
Shortcut
Oromë is still the Great, and after a trip to the Houses of Healing [In reply to] Can't Post

(unnamed store) my computer can read the strange letters once again SmileSmileSmile

Apparently a glitch or goblin had crept into my software, probably the Firefox browser as you suggested. Everything's reinstalled and thanks for all the fish.

(This post was edited by ElanorTX on Dec 2 2014, 9:07pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.