The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Five Armies

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 10:23am

Post #1 of 8 (906 views)
Shortcut
The Five Armies Can't Post

We have discussed this elsewhere but I thought we could revive this - I actually thought I had opened a thread on this, but I apparantly didn't.

All the information on a Gundabad-army leads me to the conclusion that the Five Armies will be:

Bard's Men
Thranduil's Elves
Thorin & Dain's Dwarves

Azog's Dol Guldur Orcs & Beasts
Bolg's Gundabad Orcs & Beasts

I assume Azog will have the leadership over all Evil forces but I put it this way for clarification.

I find it quite a good solution for the movieverse.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 24 2014, 10:24am)

adt100
Rohan

Nov 24 2014, 11:52am

Post #2 of 8 (400 views)
Shortcut
Seems right for the movieverse that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bernhardina
Rohan

Nov 24 2014, 4:29pm

Post #3 of 8 (322 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I like that [In reply to] Can't Post

The five armies should be what they are, how Tolkien made them. If you are correct then this is a huge change to the story. Too big, almost.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 4:35pm

Post #4 of 8 (306 views)
Shortcut
Disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

The way the movies played out it would be weird to make the wargs an extra-army. IMHO.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 7:49pm

Post #5 of 8 (220 views)
Shortcut
Does it seem such a big change? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure. If you take the five armies if the book to be dwarves, elves, and men against orcs and wargs (and I've seen a lot of debate about which five Tolkien actually meant) then surely all this does is divide the evil armies differently to give two orc/warg forces under different leaders. Isn't it? Or am I missing something?

KRog1121

Nov 25 2014, 1:04am

Post #6 of 8 (158 views)
Shortcut
Aren't the Eagles intended to be the fifth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially given the Empire covers seems to depict the Eagles as an army on par with Elves and Dwarves.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 9:04am

Post #7 of 8 (115 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

And for all we know the Gundabad army is the one with all the beasts... the wargs have never been identified in these movies as creatures under their own command. A Dol Guldur/Gundabad split would be much clearer for the movieverse.

Also not sure though whether they might not mean the Eagles after all... are the Empire covers meant to show the armies?

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 25 2014, 10:15am

Post #8 of 8 (120 views)
Shortcut
I think the 'five armies' are open to debate... [In reply to] Can't Post

...rather like the two towers. There's a nice haze of vagueness there which allows readers (and viewers) to find their own answers.

As with the Empire covers. Five, one for each army, sounds logical and yes, they have done a dwarf one, an elf one, a men of laketown one, and I wouldn't mind betting the fifth will be orcs. (I'd prefer Beorn, but I think orcs are far more likely). But the first cover was Bilbo and Gandalf, who aren't in any army - so does it represent 'everyone else on the battlefield' or are they taking the eagles to be a separate army?

The eagles have a better claim than wargs to army status, I'd say, because they arrive independently with their own leader. And as far as the films go, if the wargs are an army then so are Dain's boars/pigs.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.