Galadriel showing her stuff!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2014, 7:12pm

Post #26 of 46 (455 views)
Shortcut
Sorry my point was that (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo's description indicates that all the action and dialogue of the driving out has occurred and been discussed prior to that line I.e. It's not a plot line that is left open ended.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 7:37pm

Post #27 of 46 (438 views)
Shortcut
Great catch as even trying to go frame by frame tough! [In reply to] Can't Post

She sort of flings the ring hand at something...flash and then .it appears pieces of rock/stone etc are flying by.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2014, 9:01pm

Post #28 of 46 (400 views)
Shortcut
It may look awesome, [In reply to] Can't Post

but of course it totally contradicts the lore which says that the Elven rings could not be used as weapons to destroy, as their power lay in preservation and restoration...

http://oakroadsystems.com/...ingfaq.htm#Q3-Powers

At the Council, Elrond says, “The Three were not made ... as weapons of war or conquest: that is not their power. Those who made them did not desire strength or domination or hoarded wealth, but understanding, making, and healing, to preserve all things unstained.” [LotR II 2 (p286)]
Tolkien underlines this in a letter: after Sauron’s fall at the end of the Second Age, “the Three Rings of the Elves, wielded by secret guardians, are operative in preserving the memory of the beauty of old, maintaining enchanted enclaves of peace where Time seems to stand still and decay is restrained, a semblance of the bliss of the True West.” [L #131 (p157)] “Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age” says something similar: “those who had them in their keeping could ward off the decays of time and postpone the weariness of the world.” [Silm: Rings (p288)]

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

delius82
Rivendell

Nov 25 2014, 2:25am

Post #29 of 46 (304 views)
Shortcut
^Maybe she's using another type of magic... [In reply to] Can't Post

Other than the ring. And for all we know she could be more defensive than offensive in this scene. I'm glad they show her true power as a High Elf of the West rather than reducing her role as just palliative healing for Gandalf.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 7:25am

Post #30 of 46 (265 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, but I doubt it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not considering the reference o "The Power of the Three" which can only refer to the Elven Ring - or their bearers at the very least...Unsure

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 8:54am

Post #31 of 46 (256 views)
Shortcut
How would the films demonstrate that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see how they could differentiate between this is the ring, that is Galadriel herself or the other is a combination of the two.

Surely it will be down to interpretation won't it?

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 9:05am

Post #32 of 46 (256 views)
Shortcut
Exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

but having Galadriel use the hand that bears Nenya and having a track entitled "The Power of the Three" is surely leading the audience's perception in a certain direction?

Personally, I would prefer to see her use the phial to push back the darkness and keep the Nazgul at bay until reinforcements arrive. This may still happen, of course...

¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 25 2014, 9:06am)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 11:57am

Post #33 of 46 (238 views)
Shortcut
Well that doesn't pin us down, I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

In terms of which hand she uses it's only a one in two option! Although now that I come to type it, Galadriel using magic hair flicks has some appeal.

Equally I think a soundtrack track title is quite tangential in terms of interpreting the film seen on the screen by the viewing audience.

That is not to say for a moment that the interpretation of the ring's involvment is not a valid one but I don't think we are likely to get into any situation so clearly defined that it gives us any major issues. I doubt very much we will see fireballs being fired from the ring itself, for example, or any other directly linked use as a tool of offensive warfare.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 25 2014, 4:31pm

Post #34 of 46 (207 views)
Shortcut
Lol.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why but it kind of reminded me of the Queen of Narnia..I hope it's not to OTT...

Well, at least she and Gandalf had the same hair flying back effect against Sauron as it seems...but Glady's hair is more groomed compared to Gandy

I hope their portray Galadriel's athletic/warrior side, which is what I'm more curious to see, on how a Noldorin differs from a regular elf....but it may just be too over cartoony considering what we've seen Legolas do by far...lol.

can't wait....

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 25 2014, 4:37pm

Post #35 of 46 (210 views)
Shortcut
There [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no such track title.

Its The Guardians of the Three.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 25 2014, 7:00pm

Post #36 of 46 (194 views)
Shortcut
Curious... [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether it is possible for Galadriel to maybe use the light of Phial without having to keep holding the phial itself..I mean the container itself is just a container I think but it's the power of Galadriel (or whatever she uses) that's keeping it there...no?

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Nov 25 2014, 7:19pm

Post #37 of 46 (192 views)
Shortcut
I was really hoping to see her in armor [In reply to] Can't Post

but this shot makes me happy nonetheless. Cate is amazing and Galadriel will kick ass no matter what!! Thank you for sharing!

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 9:15pm

Post #38 of 46 (178 views)
Shortcut
Might be a bit of a contradiction on Tolkien's part... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Istari were forbidden from attempting to use force against Sauron, however the one time in the lore that the Istari actually did come into physical contact with Sauron, they used force against him.

I remain hopeful that Saruman gets to do most of the heavy lifting against Sauron, however it does seem to me that for some odd reason Jackson, Boyens, and Walsh want to play up Galadriel's role.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 10:01pm

Post #39 of 46 (163 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but did they actually come against him? [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe Tolkien possibly regretted what he wrote in TH about driving The Necromancer from Mirkwood. The account given in FotR, during the Council of Elrond seems to be a case of trying to explain the inconsistency of having the Istari attack Sauron directly when it seems to contradict what was later published in UT. Tolkien would have us believe that yes, the Wise did mount an assault on DG with the objective of routing Sauron...but of course, he goes on to say that they found Sauron had anticipated their actions, and had already fled. Therefore, the direct confrontation could be said to never have taken place! I've always thought that Jackson could have had his cake and eaten it with his adaptation by staging the assault with the "showdown" between the Wise and The Necromancer to turn out to be against a phantom/illusion. Perhaps it sounds corny and clichéd, but at least it would be honouring canon...

¯ Victoria Monfort

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 10:58pm

Post #40 of 46 (161 views)
Shortcut
I think "already fled" [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't certainly or even probably the case. It's not sure either way, though I tend to think the balance of suggestions weighs towards a direct confrontation of some sort.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 7:52am

Post #41 of 46 (125 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

'But we were too late, as Elrond foresaw. Sauron also had watched us, and had long prepared against our stroke, governing Mordor from afar through Minas Morgul, where his Nine servants dwelt, until all was ready. Then he gave way before us, but only feigned to flee, and soon after came to the Dark Tower and openly declared himself.

The feigning part is in the fleeing...in other words, he pretended to have been routed but it was his intention to leave all along. Note that the Nazgul were dwelling in Minas Morgul at this time. not DG...

Also, interestingly, in letter #246, Tolkien states that even if Elrond/Galadriel had the One Ring, "confrontation of Sauron alone, unaided, self to self was not contemplated". So Jackson having Galadriel go in on her own is really stretching belief...

¯ Victoria Monfort

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 8:20am

Post #42 of 46 (122 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

He certainly fled, the question is whether this was after a confrontation or not. The feigning bit is the idea that he wasn't really fleeing - he was falling back to a pre-prepared stronghold in Mordor.

If we imagine a police show. They might turn up at a suspect's house to find:
(A) the place deserted and the suspect already fled
(B) they knock at the door, see the suspect fleeing out of the back and give chase
(C) burst in the door and fight with the suspect who then flees

We don't know for certain but looking at the DG quotes in the round I tend towards C, whereas it sounded like you were suggesting it is definitely A.

On Galadriel, it is worth noting that this quote is referring to the Sauron of LOTR, who has grown in power and powerbase since he was the Necromancer. Also Galadriel is not alone or unaided in a self to self confrontation, the other members of the WC are there too.

I think you are right to allude earlier to the slight dissonance between Tolkien's choices on the subject over the years, but equally he clearly did not choose to be explicit that a confrontation did not take place in writing references to this in LOTR and beyond (and indeed, I think, repeatedly implied the converse).

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 9:30am

Post #43 of 46 (115 views)
Shortcut
I would interpret it as... [In reply to] Can't Post

C rather than the other options, but in the sense that Sauron was expecting the assault, and put up a show of resistance, whilst having already planned his escape! As for Galadriel, well, we won't know until we see the scene for ourselves, but the sense I'm getting from the trailers is that she at least enters in advance on her own, and luckily the others are not too far behind!
And yes, I do think the vagueness is part of Tolkien trying to reconcile his later thoughts that the Istari were forbidden to go up against Sauron directly.

¯ Victoria Monfort

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 10:29am

Post #44 of 46 (113 views)
Shortcut
I would agree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

That's definitely my own interpretation.

I think you are right that she enters the building alone, but surely the others must have arrived together and planned various routes in, rather than happening to turn up without co-ordination but within minutes of one another. Certainly by the time they face Sauron they must all be on site together.

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 26 2014, 1:29pm

Post #45 of 46 (99 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Galadriel walks in there, without any plan, army, gadget, whatever, then that is poor writing. The only way it would fly is that if PJ and Boyens uses and expands on the appendices, unfinished tales, Silmarillion, etc, about her prowess. Who knows how potent the Phial is in her hand (in the first place what power did she even use to contain that in the glass; it's certainly not the glass that holds it there), what she learned from Melian, from the Valar when she was in Valinor.

If she is "surprised" that Sauron is there, then Radagast did not do his job properly..lol

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 4:54pm

Post #46 of 46 (94 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that is very likely [In reply to] Can't Post

If the WC enter within minutes of each other, the filmakers would have to go out of their way to get the audience to think this wasn't planned.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.