The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Chapter of the Week: On the Doorstep

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 10:00pm

Post #1 of 5 (450 views)
Shortcut
Chapter of the Week: On the Doorstep Can't Post

Sorry for the delay, but I kind of got busy with some other stuff (including some very interesting fan fics about Thorin on deviantart that tells the story from the reader's point of view, so it's like it's happening to us instead of with an OC. These stories are the perfect remedy if the events of BoFA depress us to much, unfortunately, you have to be a member of deviantart to read the more intense ones), so we'll be starting this chapter today.

Since there were way too many screencaps for this chapter to choose from, I didn't have time to save any, but feel free to add your own if you wish. I only seem to have time to do this with the shorter chapters, and I always seem to sign up for the longer ones.

That said, let's get this show on the road, shall we?

The chapter starts with Thorin putting the sword he got from Laketown in the ground as the company is searching for the secret door.

1. Do you think anyone (including Bilbo) had any idea exactly where the hidden door to Erebor was located (regardless of what the map told you)?

In the next scene, we see Thorin studying the map to see if he can guess where the hidden door might be located. It isn't long betore Bilbo's "keen eyes" finally spot the way up to the hidden door.

2. Do you think anyone suspected they would have to climb up a stairway located next to the statue of King Thror in order to reach the hidden door?

Once the company finally reaches the area where the hidden door is located, Thorin addresses the company by saying that "all those that doubted them will rue this day!"

3. What do you think of this scene? Did you expect Thorin to act like this, or were you expecting something else entirely?

Next up, we have to figure out what the inscription on the map really meant, since many in the company (including Thorin himself) suspected that the "last light" meant to mean sunlight instead of the "last moon of autumn" as Bilbo put it when he finally solved the riddle.

4. The Durin's Day "riddle" seems to baffle Thorin. Do you think any of the other dwarves could have figured out the answer any sooner than Bilbo did?

When the setting sun fails to reveal the keyhole, Thorin turns to Balin and asks "what did we miss?". Balin responds that they "have lost the light and that there is nothing left to be done."

5. How do you think Thorin is feeling at this moment?

In the next scene, we see the dwarves begin to leave, with Thorin finally dropping the key before handing the map to Bilbo. Our little hobbit friend responds by telling him that he shouldn't "give up now".

6. What about Bilbo's thoughts? Do you think that Hobbits were always so resilient, or was this something that Bilbo has learned during the journey?

Bilbo then attempts to solve the "riddle" himself, by repeating the translation and trying to locate the possible location on the rock. He is joined shortly after by the thrush knocking on the door before flying off to reveal the "last light" of the moon, that finally reveals the keyhole.

7. Do you think that Bilbo really thought that all the company had left, and that yelling his discovery would bring them back, so to speak?

Next, we see Bilbo searching on the ground for where Thorin dropped the key, only to almost cause it to go over the edge of the cliff. It is stopped from doing this when Thorin steps on it with his boot.

8. Do you think Bilbo was expecting this turn of events?

I'll continue on tomorrow, but one question: Where exactly does this chapter end? Does it go until the scene where Bilbo goes down into Erebor to locate the Arkenstone or some time before that (I rarely rewatch scenes, so I'm mostly guessing)?

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 10:09pm

Post #2 of 5 (344 views)
Shortcut
It ends with... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Thorin's line "That, Master Burglar, is why you are here."

Kim
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 4:30am

Post #3 of 5 (312 views)
Shortcut
Part 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Do you think anyone (including Bilbo) had any idea exactly where the hidden door to Erebor was located (regardless of what the map told you)?
2. Do you think anyone suspected they would have to climb up a stairway located next to the statue of King Thror in order to reach the hidden door?
Not really, beyond where it was indicated on the map. Perhaps Thorin and Balin had a general sense since they knew the mountain, but it doesn’t seem like anyone knew anything about the statue.

3. What do you think of this scene? Did you expect Thorin to act like this, or were you expecting something else entirely?
This is actually kind of interesting. We know the dwarves from the 7 kingdoms didn’t want to join in the quest, but it does seem a little odd that he would want them to “rue the day.” I’m not sure what I was expecting beyond general elation that they finally made it.

4. The Durin's Day "riddle" seems to baffle Thorin. Do you think any of the other dwarves could have figured out the answer any sooner than Bilbo did?
One thing that bothered me about this scene is that when the dwarves thought the sunlight would illuminate the keyhole, they were standing right in front of the sun, so they couldn’t actually see where it was hitting the side of the mountain! The other dwarves seem to have forgotten about the steps on the map and quickly jumped to brute force to try to open it. No one actually read out the words and waited for each step to be revealed like Bilbo did. I think part of it was the deadline they were up against as they started losing the light, and after waiting so long, kind of gave in to panic.

5. How do you think Thorin is feeling at this moment?
Bereft. This was heartbreaking – they were so close, but couldn’t complete the last step after having come so far.

6. What about Bilbo's thoughts? Do you think that Hobbits were always so resilient, or was this something that Bilbo has learned during the journey?
The dwarves seemed to give up really quickly, while Bilbo was the one to keep his head and remember the steps from the map. He just wasn’t ready to give up yet. I’d say this was a good demonstration of the resilience of Hobbits. Side note: I love the music that plays as the moonlight illuminates the stone, bringing us back to the moon runes scene in AUJ.

7. Do you think that Bilbo really thought that all the company had left, and that yelling his discovery would bring them back, so to speak?
Yes, it did seem so. He couldn’t really believe they’d left so quickly, but certainly hoped they were still within earshot.

8. Do you think Bilbo was expecting this turn of events?
Not sure about Bilbo, but this always brought a huge gasp from the audience! Just such a great moment when Thorin’s boot catches it and he slowly picks it back up and we see all the dwarves lined up.

Thorin’s hair: I think I might have to make a stand here and say this was the absolute best look for Thorin’s hair! The triumphant look on his face plus the lion’s mane blowing gently in the soft breeze was a heady combination! Wink

Thanks for hosting Queen of Erebor – looking forward to the rest!

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

(This post was edited by Kim on Nov 24 2014, 4:36am)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 28 2014, 11:23pm

Post #4 of 5 (264 views)
Shortcut
And here's the rest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't usually wait this long to finish my CHOW thread, but I kind of got distracted by all the BoFA related threads.Wink

That said, let's continue on, shall we?

In the next scene, we see Thorin putting the key in the keyhole and pushing the hidden door to Erebor inwards.

9. Do you think that Thorin (as well as the rest of the company), actually thought that they would ever see the inside of Erebor again, with all that has befallen them on the journey so far?

Once the hidden door is opened, Thorin is the first one to exclaim "Erebor", and Balin in tears until Thorin puts a hand on his shoulder before being the first dwarf is so many years to enter the mountain kingdom again.

10. Were you surprised to see Balin react in this way, or were you expecting something else entirely?

In the next scene, Thorin reminisces about the last time he was in Erebor and asks Balin if he remembers as the others enter. When the company turns around, they see the dwarvish description as well as a picture of the throne of Erebor with the Arkenstone above it.

11. Were you surprised to see a reference to the Arkenstone on the other side of the hidden door?

A little later, Balin tells Bilbo about the picture and what it represents. Bilbo asks what the stone is above the throne of Erebor, and Balin tells him that it's the Arkenstone. When Bilbo asks what that is, Thorin tells him "that, master Burglar, is why you are here."

12. What do you think Bilbo is thinking at this moment? Was he expecting to be the one to locate the Arkenstone after all these years?

It seems this chapter is shorter than I expected (thank you, BlackFox, for telling me where exactly it ends, since I hardly ever rewatch scenes, it's the whole movie or nothing), so I guess that's it.

13. Is there anything else you want to say about this chapter that I may have missed?

Feel free to add some more screencaps to this section if you wish. Hopefully I'll have time to save some after the holidays (since most of the news about BoFA may have died down by then) with the next CHOW thread I host.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Kim
Valinor

Nov 29 2014, 2:20am

Post #5 of 5 (266 views)
Shortcut
Part Deux [In reply to] Can't Post

9. Do you think that Thorin (as well as the rest of the company), actually thought that they would ever see the inside of Erebor again, with all that has befallen them on the journey so far?
I imagine a lot of them despaired of ever getting there, especially with the recent disappointment when they actually got to the doorstep. Thorin was so focused on the destination, it was hard to see his reaction when they couldn’t find the keyhole. I think he was walking away very slowly as he couldn’t really give up on it so quickly, which is why he was there in time to catch the key.

10. Were you surprised to see Balin react in this way, or were you expecting something else entirely?
You know, I think I was actually expecting a much more lively scene, full of cheers and shouts from all the dwarves. I wasn’t really expecting such a quiet reverential scene. But it was great to see Balin’s reaction.

11. Were you surprised to see a reference to the Arkenstone on the other side of the hidden door?
I wasn’t expecting it, but thought it was a great way to re-emphasize it’s importance to the story and reinforce Bilbo’s role. And it was a nice touch to have Gloin reading the inscription while Thorin was lost in his memories.

12. What do you think Bilbo is thinking at this moment? Was he expecting to be the one to locate the Arkenstone after all these years?
It doesn’t appear that Bilbo knew anything about the Arkenstone before this point, so it seemed to be more that his role in this quest had finally arrived and it was his moment to step up.

13. Is there anything else you want to say about this chapter that I may have missed?
I love the absolute quiet as Thorin pushes the door open and slowly enters. Such a wonderful job by Richard Armitage in communicating Thorin’s feelings at finally returning home, as well as Ken Stott with Balin’s reaction.

Thorin’s hair: yep, best look for Thorin’s hair yet.

Thanks again for hosting Queen of Erebor. Smile

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.