The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Your BOFA survival starter pack + additional accessories

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 8:55pm

Post #1 of 25 (2706 views)
Shortcut
Your BOFA survival starter pack + additional accessories Can't Post

So I found this BOFA survival pack on line, but alas, it can only be viewed as a starter kit:

While I think this makes a good beginning, personally I would suggest ENHANCING this basic
kit with select additions, depending on what your situation is.Cool

To start with, the "marathoners" might want to consider:

Chocolate coffee beans, to help keep you alert so you don't miss a single second of films you have probably seen, like, over 500 times already (and if you are like me, never, ever, get tired of....HeartHeartHeartTongueTongueTongue).

For those in cold climates etc.:

Yah know, 'coz it really *bleep* to leave a theater at 3 in the morning and the car doesn't start, particularly if you can't even think straight re what you just saw.....Shocked

And for EVERYONE:

OK, maybe you don't need a stress ball this big, but something to keep you from squeezing your fancy I-phone or Galaxy so hard the case cracks.Shocked

Heirs of DurinHeart fans may substitute:

On a handy thong - which during DOS I found useful to grip, and puts your hand right near your heart and face where it will probably be through BOFA anywayShockedFrown.

The paltry box of tissues provided in the starter kit just isn't going to cut it.Frown

This is more like it.Unimpressed

Well, we've all had to deal with rude audiencesEvilMadMad, but thanks to modern technology there's a solutionSmile:

Yep, Captain Kirk (and Thorin) don't put up with a lot of guff from the unwashed masses, and neither should you.Cool

AFTERCARE:

What folks use for medicinal purposes is their business, I always say.Angelic

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with caring more about what happens to a bunch of fictional characters more so than what President Obama might have worn on a trip to China zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Anyway, if I need help with depression, denial, and delusionCoolWink, I'd rather spend money on these guys:

*snuggle*.HeartHeartHeart

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2014, 10:04pm

Post #2 of 25 (2302 views)
Shortcut
*falls over with laughter* [In reply to] Can't Post

BWAHAHAHA! This is hilarious, Avandel! Thanks for posting it!LaughHeart

I will definitely keep this list in mind when I go see BotFA. Especially the Star Trek phaser gun.Evil (I'll only set it to stun, of course.Angelic)

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in You, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through.
I'll be found in You."
~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2014, 11:00pm

Post #3 of 25 (2262 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Bravo [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got my marathon tickets but I guess I'm going to need a bigger purse SmileWink

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 11:07pm

Post #4 of 25 (2261 views)
Shortcut
Thank you - I'm sure a lot of us will be needing this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in the days to come! Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 24 2014, 1:32am

Post #5 of 25 (2218 views)
Shortcut
lol... hilarious :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 1:59am

Post #6 of 25 (2228 views)
Shortcut
*Bows* - glad to be of service - and a few more.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It occurred to me that in the U.S. at any rate, we have something of a tradition of steely-eyed, iron-jawed, males. Perhaps this is universal around the world?:

Why, we even have completely feminine women - superb role models and inspirations! - but you don't want to be on the receiving end of their CLEAR and PENETRATING gaze, which strips your silliness from you with the force of a blow torch...(I love you Judge Judy!HeartHeartHeart)

So those doing early holiday shopping might want to gift the more MACHO of your BOFA party with appropriate headgear, e.g. nothing that would offend the parents of the short child sitting in back of your males at a theaterFrown, but something your heroic men can subtly pull down over their eyes at key heartbreaking *sob* BOFA scenes while looking badass and coolWink.

After all, these Middle Earth films (happily) are awash with testosterone and HAIRTongueTongueTongue - there's even a kick-ass female - so appearances hafta be kept upEvil.

You might also offer a selection of MACHISMO hankerchiefs "just in case":

For myself, I've also added gradient-tinted sunglasses, so I can visit a restroom etc. and not have people staring at me...

...*cough* tho if you are dressed like a dwarf or other for a line party 1) the Middle Earth folks will outnumber the costumeless and 2) all the Middle Earth folks will be in the same condition anyway. You will never be this universally UNDERSTOOD by complete strangers again. Ever.

And of course, be sure to have:

Finally, when it's all over, time for the home spa treatment:

This SEEMS like it's to get your face back into a presentable condition, which it kind of does in theory (unless the dog licks it off), but what's it's really designed to do is shock and awe the folks around you, so they will understand that you are feeling VERY poorly and will tiptoe around and leave you alone. Then you can sneak out and go see BOFA again.Evil

(This post was edited by Avandel on Nov 24 2014, 2:04am)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 24 2014, 2:17am

Post #7 of 25 (2226 views)
Shortcut
Haha! My personal kit will also include [In reply to] Can't Post

smelling salts and a teddy bear Smile

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Kim
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 3:36am

Post #8 of 25 (2205 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget the blankie! [In reply to] Can't Post

And for those of you who may need a little something stronger to settle your nerves:

Thanks Avandel! That reminds me, I believe I placed an order a while back for my pallet of tissues. Can you let me know when that's expected to arrive? And perhaps I should put in order for a puppy and a kitten for some snuggles. Smile

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 4:25am

Post #9 of 25 (2202 views)
Shortcut
I forgot about the smelling salts! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose I could have a companion throw a super size fountain drink over me at need. Tho on second thought, there should be warnings at least for the first night, that no-one drinks anything.

Because anyone disturbing rabid, glazed-eyed fandom during BOFA (especially the Thorin fans, who firmly believe in emulating their king) I feel are in real danger of being fed to some wargs.Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 4:55am

Post #10 of 25 (2199 views)
Shortcut
Maybe one of those binkies with sleeves? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the pallets of facial tissues got delayed because the big box stores got wind of BOFA and bought up entire box cars full, but supposedly shipments are back on track by November 30. Admittedly that is cutting it close, but if worse comes to worst suggest microfiber cleaning cloths or those cloths that can suck up 3 times their size in water.

Yes, I think my nerves will need quite a lot of settling. Preferably being settled with something garnished with tiny paper umbrellas and bits of fruit on sticks.Cool

Dogs and kitties are the best because you can snuggle and with the kitties you can listen to them purr and dogs try to lick you, but since they won't let pets into a theater maybe I need to order a Thorin plushee or pillow.Laugh

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 24 2014, 10:23am

Post #11 of 25 (2182 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaahahha! Fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

And a big bucket of popcorn rounds out the list quite nicely!

BRILLIANT!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Nov 24 2014, 2:43pm

Post #12 of 25 (2169 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know about the rest, but am definitely taking a WHOLE box of Kleenex with me! Anticipation and a bit of trepidation! Know I will cry from the opening credits, probably. Cried thru about 3/4s of ROTK! Hate it that I know how it ends, but wouldnt miss it for the world!

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 10:10pm

Post #13 of 25 (2155 views)
Shortcut
First time I ever teared up over a trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

The first one....if only they hadn't used that song.

*Gloomily* well, yes, the end *sigh*FrownFrownFrown. Tho I am sure, somewhere, out there, is an up-and-coming filmmaker ticking off boxes, thinking of how he/she would film these movies....tho I think they would be hard-pressed to find a cast this perfect, IMO.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2014, 11:47pm

Post #14 of 25 (2155 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... so far [In reply to] Can't Post

You have the tissues, the chocolate and even the scotch. I think I will build a blanket fort so I may need to bring more blankets... Got my stuffed Pooh Bear...

Ice Cream - I hear Richard Armitage says Chocolate is the best so there's second dose of chocolate.

Oh yes, I almost forgot... Swim fins or a life ring for when we fling ourselves into the River of Denial once Certain Things That Shall Not Be Named Happen.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Nov 25 2014, 12:29am

Post #15 of 25 (2147 views)
Shortcut
Oh good [In reply to] Can't Post

Defibrillators come in travel size now, for my convenience :)

Also, in a pinch, those jumper cables will serve the same purpose,

Also, that stress ball is not big enough :D

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 25 2014, 12:32am

Post #16 of 25 (2144 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, a blanket fort! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be perfect! Can we wear pyjamas to the cinema?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 25 2014, 12:33am

Post #17 of 25 (2144 views)
Shortcut
well.. I think *PJs* would be perfect. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

do you call them 'pee jays' in NZ?

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 25 2014, 12:34am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 25 2014, 12:38am

Post #18 of 25 (2140 views)
Shortcut
*ba-dum bum* *tish* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes we do - and well-called, Magpie. Wink

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 25 2014, 4:51am

Post #19 of 25 (2137 views)
Shortcut
I practically grew up in a blanket fort. I shall...(*Interstellar Spoiler Warning!*) [In reply to] Can't Post

help with the engineering. In exchange for the phaser.
(Which I could have used during the death scene of Interstellar, during which a family insisted on carrying on a non-stop normal voice conversation punctuated by the cries of their baby [poor thing!]).

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Nov 25 2014, 8:33pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 25 2014, 5:10am

Post #20 of 25 (2133 views)
Shortcut
bam! was there an Intersteller spoiler in that post! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 25 2014, 6:25pm

Post #21 of 25 (771 views)
Shortcut
Aack! Sorry. Can the admins remove?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 7:27pm

Post #22 of 25 (776 views)
Shortcut
I think I'd stick with the classic... [In reply to] Can't Post

blue LED-enhanced knitting needles for dealing with any orcs in the audience! ;) My own Knit Lite needles are more of an aqua, but I've yet to take them to the theater, unlike some knitters.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 25 2014, 8:33pm

Post #23 of 25 (768 views)
Shortcut
How about just a warning? // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 25 2014, 9:03pm

Post #24 of 25 (763 views)
Shortcut
Sure, that would be great. Thank you!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 26 2014, 1:45am

Post #25 of 25 (774 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL - thanks for this [In reply to] Can't Post

Ice Cream - I hear Richard Armitage says Chocolate is the best so there's second dose of chocolate.

Chocolate? as in chocolate-espresso swirling mane of the King Under the Mountain - well, the King should know what
is best, especially one with a voice of the Valar (and also is the best spokesperson for the NZ travel industry ever -
yep, getting my passport together).

Oh yes, I almost forgot... Swim fins or a life ring for when we fling ourselves into the River of Denial once Certain Things That Shall Not Be Named Happen.

Better make mine:

Because I intend to spend a LOT of time on that river;
I know PJ would not do Something That Must Not Be Named *not if he wants repeat viewers anyway*Evil

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.