The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New behind-the-scenes still from Empire

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 11:45am

Post #1 of 17 (1485 views)
Shortcut
New behind-the-scenes still from Empire Can't Post

Nothing terribly exciting, but at least it's something.

Fàfnir
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 12:23pm

Post #2 of 17 (609 views)
Shortcut
Thorin on Ravenhill without Orcrist battling Orcs. Pretty cool ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 12:24pm

Post #3 of 17 (639 views)
Shortcut
Too few outdoor location shots [In reply to] Can't Post

Part 3 looks to be all sets, CGI and greenscreen. Was it really impossible to find a real location for that scene?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 12:43pm

Post #4 of 17 (617 views)
Shortcut
A real frozen mountain top with dwarven architecture [In reply to] Can't Post

Carved into it? Pretty tricky to find I would think, for this scene.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 17 (536 views)
Shortcut
Would love any... [In reply to] Can't Post

Explanation of the
Evolution of the Mo-CAP
Suit...
Shown here...IT
Seems they are getting
More &
More complicated.
even from last year?

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 1:57pm

Post #6 of 17 (518 views)
Shortcut
That photo doesn't look quite right, either... [In reply to] Can't Post

RA/Thorin looks 'shopped to me....either that or my eyes really have had it!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 2:08pm

Post #7 of 17 (471 views)
Shortcut
The Costume Department must be Customizzin' each Suit? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Form-Fitting"... iz gettin'
BETTER & Better..

More accurate? Source
Material for Digital Up-Loadzz..

after
Extensive
Experimentation

LEAVE it..TO PJ&CO
to once again
"Push the Envelope"
of Film-makin'

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Nov 22 2014, 2:09pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 3:37pm

Post #8 of 17 (420 views)
Shortcut
He can fly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarf ninja powers, go!Laugh

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in You, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through.
I'll be found in You."
~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

Bishop
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 4:57pm

Post #9 of 17 (374 views)
Shortcut
I'm not convinced... [In reply to] Can't Post

..that the only way to shoot a film that takes place outdoors in a cold environment is to shoot it on indoor greenscreen sets. I'm being honest here, I'm really not sure what would be best. I do know in this case it was certainly the easiest and most efficient. The only thing that concerns me here is is appears nearly the entire film takes place outdoors in this snowy environment. So we can expect an overabundance of composite shots, for better or worse.

(This post was edited by Bishop on Nov 22 2014, 4:57pm)

Retro315
Rivendell

Nov 22 2014, 5:06pm

Post #10 of 17 (377 views)
Shortcut
Ravenhill [In reply to] Can't Post

Ravenhill is an interesting set. I like locations as much as the next guy, but I actually have a lot of love for the sort of archetypal sword movie "dueling ground" set. Think of how good the ruins atop the Cliffs of Insanity were for the rapier duel in The Princess Bride. Now obviously locations can work as well - Aragorn's duel with Lurtz was properly ridiculous in that wooded area. But there's great precedent for a standing set with a steps and drops structure. It's far more interesting than say, the rocky mount they constructed to resemble the Gates of Khazad-dum at Azanulbizar. It's more interesting than Weathertop, too, in my opinion, and that was a great "dueling range". I even think it's more interesting than that modular set they built for Cirith Ungol, for Sam's chance to have his own "dueling range" sequence.

Another thing to think about is the winter setting - it would be doubly or triply hard for them to film on location in a constructed, probably quarry set that had ice on it. Treacherous even. Though hopefully some of the march to Ravenhill will take place on some of New Zealand's actual mountain arms.

It's pretty clear Ravenhill will be this film's Weathertop, Henneth Annun, Hornburg, and Cirith Ungol. And that because it's high up on mountain cliffs, it'll be a far more different skirmish than we've ever seen within a greater battle.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 5:16pm

Post #11 of 17 (350 views)
Shortcut
Weird? those ORCzz have Grey Tubes [In reply to] Can't Post

Sticking about
TWO feet UP on
TOP of their Heads?

IZzz thiz another Reference POINT
Not seeen before?

ODDest Thingie...

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Bishop
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 5:18pm

Post #12 of 17 (348 views)
Shortcut
Great points [In reply to] Can't Post

But now imagine if the majority of shots in the Princess Bride were indoor greenscreen sets.

(This post was edited by Bishop on Nov 22 2014, 5:24pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 5:29pm

Post #13 of 17 (336 views)
Shortcut
Azz a Life-Long Skier here.. in Colorado... [In reply to] Can't Post

FORGET it?

Since the
Camerzzz are TOO EXPENSIVE..TO
Crash& Burn...
CONSTANTLY

Sometimes people just don't understand how
Slippery
Snow really IZZ..

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 6:48pm

Post #14 of 17 (305 views)
Shortcut
Agree - Your post reminds me of EE footage... [In reply to] Can't Post

Won't detail 'coz I know folks are still waiting, but it's obvious in some really cool locations in New Zealand that rapidly changing weather and light conditions are a factor, even when PJ TRIED and planned for outdoor locations.

Plus there is the budget issue and safety when shooting on location, and from what I understands helicopters are not as stable in general as certain planes are re lift, air currents, and all that.

Of course think everyone loves the real thing, but on the other hand if carefully done I found I didn't have an issue - the Erebor door sequence for me, that was an amazing set, amazing lightiing; also the tombs in the High Fells. Doesn't have to be real to feel massive.

And this photo is nice in that for me it just confirms what RA had said earlier this year - that the guys had gotten so good physically they hardly used their stunt people, and I always think that comes out better re the camera work etcHeart. So I am happy to think when Thorin is whirling and jumping cutting 3 orcs down like a combine or Dwalin is wielding his axe or Nori is going to work that it's really THEM, the actors.

And that because it's high up on mountain cliffs, it'll be a far more different skirmish than we've ever seen within a greater battle.

This. Exciting to think of BECAUSE it's unique - I get cold just watching the trailersShocked.....and thanks to the OP for posting!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 7:15pm

Post #15 of 17 (277 views)
Shortcut
Not so much the cold [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm sure that is a factor. I meant more how are you going to find a real location full of carved stone steps, doorways, passages and similar dwarven architecture!

I'm sure nothing is impossible and that one could take a natural cave and add a fake doorway to the outside. Equally, I guess you could take fake steps up and attach them to a real mountainside somehow, but I guess it would be tricky. And, of course, then you still have a constructed set for the most part - just one that's built up a mountain.

I think there are certainly scenes we could ask the question of more easily - but this particular one looks tricky to me.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 9:54pm

Post #16 of 17 (225 views)
Shortcut
And environmental and cultural concerns, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Which we saw in the Appendices for some sites - even if it's a temporary set there's people tramping around, run-off. And then some sites - I imagine there are many in Europe that might be suitable perhaps that have remnants of old buildings - but think they would have been built "man-sized" and the dwarves seem to have built on a massive scale.

Watkins Glen in upper state New York - can't help but think of LOTR when I've been here.

But was told this area can be brutal in winter, it's a park so that would have to be closed, and so on...and reading about filming in the mountains
cold does seem to be a consideration on the equipment.

It's not that I wouldn't love a real set and what a great museum of sorts that would be, like preserving the Hobbiton set.
But seems to me for BOFA that would be a multi-year, very expensive project even if you could find a site, and get all the permits, and so on.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2014, 12:36am

Post #17 of 17 (175 views)
Shortcut
There was one video... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that showed the dwarf actors fighting the guys with grey tube on their heads and whenever a dwarf whacked the tube off of an orc's head the orc would fall over dead.

Maybe the orcs the dwarves are fighting are taller than the actors playing orcs and they decided to put the tubes on their heads so the dwarves would know where to swing so it would look right when the CGI got done later? Crazy

Oooor maybe this is a new kind of orc that was created from a twisted version of unicorns and they have one big horn growing out of the tops of their heads and in order to kill them you have to chop off the horn.Tongue

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in You, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through.
I'll be found in You."
~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.