Misty Mountains Theme Absence?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 3:15pm

Post #26 of 31 (145 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

The theme is perfect when the dwarves sing it in Bag End - one of my favourite moments. It makes sense that it should play through the first part of their adventure. But it does dominate AUJ and I think it would have become too much if played through the whole trilogy.

I'm very glad Howard Shore was able to compose new themes for the story as it developed and for the new characters. That way we get the best of both worlds, whatever the reason was.

Alex Maglor
Bree

Nov 22 2014, 3:53pm

Post #27 of 31 (159 views)
Shortcut
Nothing about copyright [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug Adams explains this:

For those asking, "Misty Mountains" was only ever meant to be a film-one theme. It represents the first leg of the Dwarves' quest.

It didn't make sense to return to it after Thorin's Company crossed the mountains. They're entering a new, unfamiliar world.

Also, unlike the Hobbits in LOTR, the Dwarves don't want to go "there and back again" … just "there."

So, while the Shire theme follows the Hobbits, Misty Mountains gives way to the more profound themes like House of Durin.

It's the different between circular and linear narrative/thematic development. A distinguishing structural element.

Retro315
Rivendell

Nov 22 2014, 4:58pm

Post #28 of 31 (124 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my favorite piece of music in the entire six-film series, so it has been a bit of a bummer not to hear any clever reprise of it, although thematically I'm okay with it really representing the march east and the Act I: We have to cross the Misty Mountains before we can even be halfway home premise.

I hope there's at least one more dwarf-song before this thing ends. It doesn't have to reprise the Misty Mountains theme, but a similar sort of thing would be good, maybe even to the tune of one of the other versions of the Misty Mountain song.

Anyway, it's certainly one of the elements that makes AUJ so special. And it's singularly the most dwarven thing ever. So specific to the time and place of the refugees living in the Blue Mountains, DREAMING of crossing those divisive mountains to the east. And I sing it all the time to myself - it was more effective even than Billy Boyd's ridiculously perfect "Home is behind" song.

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 5:27pm

Post #29 of 31 (122 views)
Shortcut
To be honest, I think that's a strange reason. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like they're putting this arbitrary limitation upon the theme, that "it doesn't apply beyond the Misty Mountains". Sure, it might be derived from the Misty Mountains-song*, but that doesn't mean that you absolutely have to limit it to the titular mountain-range; Tie the theme to the dwarven company instead (honestly, given it's usage as a triumphant-battle-theme during the troll-battle, I thought it was meant to be the "Thorin and Company"-theme, an equivalent to "The Fellowship"-theme, rather than a "Misty Mountains, and only the Misty Mountains"-theme) and refrain from calling it "The Misty Mountains-theme", and it would make sense to have it return even beyond the first film.

I'll admit that they might have been too frequent with the theme in AUJ... but cutting it? It needed moderation, not exclusion. Much like how there were variations upon "The Fellowship"-theme during the course of LOTR, there could have been variations upon the "Misty Mountains"-theme... and indeed, I am hoping that at the very least there is a preparing-for-battle rendation of it in BotFA.

*Although, and I'm repeating it again because I really think it bears mentioning, there are multiple songs following the same structure in the book, it's not only the one song; There is a song for the desolation wrought by Smaug, and then another song celebrating the return of the King and how his foes shall fall. The theme could feature in the films alongside these things, and it would not at all be thematically inappropriate.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 22 2014, 5:36pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 6:34pm

Post #30 of 31 (114 views)
Shortcut
What [In reply to] Can't Post

What is funny is that Shore had written his own Thorin and Company theme:

https://drive.google.com/...VkE/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/...Mk0/view?usp=sharing

troiano220
The Shire

Nov 22 2014, 10:03pm

Post #31 of 31 (100 views)
Shortcut
Arrangement for Band [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just doing a project for my music education class and I was looking up Hobbit arrangements for middle school band. Funny enough, any medley or suite that was arranged from An Unexpected Journey does not include the Misty Mountains theme at all. Just thought that was interesting as well...

That being said, I didn't even notice that the theme wasn't used in Desolation of Smaug. Yeah, I guess looking back it's a shame that it isn't. But at the same time, it works not being heard. The lack of music during the dwarf-spider brawl was a nice touch. Where else would it be used? When they're running from Smaug in Erebor? I think it wouldn't fit there either.

I guess we won't know until Doug Adams writes about it (or doesn't) in his Music from 'The Hobbit' book

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.