That title still bugs me...

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Nov 19 2014, 10:32pm

Post #1 of 16 (1248 views)
Shortcut
That title still bugs me... Can't Post

"The Battle of the Five Armies."

It just sounds awkward. Too many 'the's. It should have been either "Battle of the Five Armies" or "The Battle of Five Armies." Or even "Battle of Five Armies."

Because now it reads, "THE Hobbit: THE Battle of THE Five Armies."

I know it's a minor thing, but still, I'm surprised that when they were kicking this about nobody piped up and said, "You know, that sounds really awkward. Can't we drop one of the "the"s?"

Urgh.

Smaug Report
Bree

Nov 19 2014, 10:38pm

Post #2 of 16 (615 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure I will be super stoked on the film, as I love DOS and AUJ, but the title drives me NUTS.

Spot on. WAY too many THE of the THE and the THE…blah blah blah.

It should have been like you said, The Battle of Five Armies. Simple. Works.

Instead we get Rise of the Dawn of the Planet of the Five Armies of the Apes…

j/k

I will show you revenge...

tsmith675
Gondor

Nov 19 2014, 10:39pm

Post #3 of 16 (686 views)
Shortcut
Well it has less "the"s than 2/3 of LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Four "the"s. And then again:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

I've grown pretty fond of the name, to be honest. I didn't like it at first but now I do.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 10:52pm

Post #4 of 16 (580 views)
Shortcut
I've never been bothered by the name... [In reply to] Can't Post

after all, it's just a name, it's what inside that counts (but I'm still dreading the ending). When I abbreviate it, I always leave the "the's" out, so I abbrieviate it BoFA instead of TBotFA, which I find is way too many letters. BoFA seems more dwarvish, or like saying Bofur's name in a Boston accent (since the "r's" are almost non-existant).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 19 2014, 10:55pm

Post #5 of 16 (584 views)
Shortcut
"Semantic satiation" [In reply to] Can't Post

It usually passes. Usually.

"Kai provseisi, kai avpeisi."
("There and back again.")
-Heraclitus of Ephesus, c. 500 BC

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2014, 11:08pm

Post #6 of 16 (605 views)
Shortcut
Quite so - FOTR is the worst for repetition. [In reply to] Can't Post

It should have been called:

"Lord - Rings: The Fellowship of"

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 19 2014, 11:09pm

Post #7 of 16 (567 views)
Shortcut
You know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked "There and Back Again".

My understanding is that they changed it because TABA implied repetition.

Perhaps if AUJ and DoS had been more favorably reviewed (or made even more money than they did), then there would have been less pressure to change the title, since repetition of a "good" thing is a safe bet.

I find it interesting how each new Hobbit movie is pitched as being "different" from the previous movie. DoS was supposed to be "darker" and "less familiar feeling" compared to AUJ. BFA is supposed to be a "non-road-movie", and a "thriller" as opposed to whatever DoS was supposed to be. It's almost as if each new movie wants to slightly disassociate itself from the previous one(s).

Did they do the same for Lord of the Rings? Was The Two Towers pitched as being "different" from Fellowship of the Ring?

I'm guessing both the disassociative pitching strategy and title change are both in responses to the critical and monetary reception that the Hobbit movies have been receiving.

In the long run, of course, none of the reception up until now really matters, because it's how BFA fares that will characterize the entire trilogy, just like how the success of Return of the King determined the general long-term perception of the LotR trilogy as a whole.

So, if BFA does really well (with critics and the box office), and pop culture re-labels the Hobbit Trilogy a "success" rather than a "mixed bag" or however it's classified now, then the title of the third movie will seem even clunkier.

Of course, if BFA only does as well as AUJ and DoS ("mixed"), then I'm guessing the title of the third movie won't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things... just like the inconsistent alignment of the titles on the sleeves.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2014, 11:22pm

Post #8 of 16 (553 views)
Shortcut
There may be that in part [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it seems that DOS and BOFA will be closer in tone and separated by a greater distance from AUJ (which is no bad thing in my book).

There again I suspect it also just reflects the fact that when one separates the story into three chunks, there are dramatic differences on tone and content between them, so we would surely expect this to be reflected in the films.

This is probably more acute a shift than in LOTR, where the tone darkens solidly after Bree and doesn't lighten again, really. So the LOTR films only have a relatively different feel for a shorter section of the start of FOTR, compared to TH.

That said, the tag lines and advertising focus did change for the three LOTR films, much as we see here in many ways, moving from a focus on an individual's journey to encompassing wider conflicts and stakes.

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Nov 19 2014, 11:27pm)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Nov 20 2014, 2:41am

Post #9 of 16 (481 views)
Shortcut
Yet the LOTR titles didn't bug you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not being rude, but I find people find too many little nitpicks with these films, whereas LOTR had just as many of these little problems as Hobbit.

Sort of off topic, but for example, people complained Sting wasn't lit up during the climax of AUJ, yet it seems no one remembers Moria in FOTR when Sting only glows before the battle, yet when the goblins enter Sting no longer is glowing, yet goblins are very close by, heh. Same with how in the Trollshaw forest when the warg attacks, how Bilbo and Bofur look up at the warg yet seem not to react. Same thing happens, again, in Moria, when Frodo's hiding from the troll and you see Merry and Pippin in the back not even reacting or warning Frodo the troll is close by.

LOTR had much more "The's" in its titles. THE Return of THE King, THE Fellowship of THE Ring. I like Battle Of The Five Armies, explains what the major conflict is in the film, and what the trilogy has been led up to. There And Back Again works as a second title after An Unexpected Journey, and I agree with PJ it seems a bit weird, seeing as how Bilbo's already "there" in the second film, and it's just not very epic of a title. As a final Middle-earth chapter with a big battle, There And Back Again seems too tame. Battle Of The Five Armies sounds epic and should be more butts in seats, which is what we want, right? For more people to experience this world and story.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"When faced with death, what can anyone do?" -Bilbo Baggins

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Nov 20 2014, 2:49am

Post #10 of 16 (471 views)
Shortcut
Actually, no [In reply to] Can't Post

Because just about everybody I know calls those movies "Lord of the Rings" not "The Lord of the Rings." Also "Fellowship of the Ring", "Return of the King", etc. They drop the first "the" because it's superfluous.

Just like "The Battle of the Five Armies" is going to probably be called "Battle of Five Armies", because it's WAY shorter. My friends call the first LoTR movie "Fellowship". They never use the whole title.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2014, 6:27am

Post #11 of 16 (417 views)
Shortcut
Well, my movie tickets all just said "Lord of the", which always struck me funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'm easily amused.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2014, 7:03am

Post #12 of 16 (396 views)
Shortcut
Battle of the Five Armies sounds better [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the title but i think it should have been Battle of the 5 Armies because we already have a "the" as the main title "The Hobbit: Battle of The Five Armies". Oh well, just take a magic marker and scribble out "the" when you get it on video Wink

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Nov 20 2014, 7:04am)

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 7:41am

Post #13 of 16 (386 views)
Shortcut
The The [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw them live in '88. They were awesome.
Getting all nostalgic now.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2014, 8:07am

Post #14 of 16 (384 views)
Shortcut
Sounds natural to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, for years, I thought the battle WAS referred to in the novels as "The Battle of the Five Armies" instead of "The Battle of Five Armies". Just one of those cases of my mind automatically filling in the missing "the" to make it sound (what I considered) more natural. It was only later that I came to realize that I was mistaken.

The only issue I had with the title was that I preferred There and Back Again. But, now, having seen the trailers and tv spots, it's clear to me that such a title would not have fit with the third film. As a result, I've grown to quite like the title.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 20 2014, 8:08am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 9:50am

Post #15 of 16 (368 views)
Shortcut
Honestly..the "THE" in AnyTHE-ngie [In reply to] Can't Post

izz kind, sorta, SupercalifragilisTHe..S ick?

Down Down down with THEee.. WORD

THE..
bom alwayzz Like the Word "Z"
instead of ...THAT Tired word....the?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2014, 3:10am

Post #16 of 16 (211 views)
Shortcut
They were just hedging their bets! [In reply to] Can't Post

If all else failed they could show you Lord of the Flies and be legally absolved!! Sneaky Cinemas....Wink

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.