Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What if Saruman Did Not Betray His Allies...and was not corrupted?

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 18 2014, 5:08pm

Post #1 of 14 (1282 views)
Shortcut
What if Saruman Did Not Betray His Allies...and was not corrupted? Can't Post

Would he have accompanied Gandalf in his quest with the fellowship?

Go to Rivendell?

Go to Lorien?

Go to Rohan?

Go to the White City?

Work with ents?

I doubt he would stay in his tower coz he does not have an army there, so he would go to somewhere safer....what do you think would have been his best effort to help during the War of the Ring?

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 18 2014, 6:49pm

Post #2 of 14 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Well, if he had not been corrupted and there had been no betrayal.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he wouldn't be thinking of his own safety, would he, so the question of going somewhere safer wouldn't have arisen. His decision to stay or go would surely be based on where he could be most helpful.

But you're talking about a totally different story now, because if Saruman hadn't fallen, Gandalf wouldn't have had to face the Balrog. He would still be Grey, not White. If Saruman hadn't felled trees in Fangorn (which goodSaruman would surely not have done), would the Ents ever have become involved? Would they have been needed?

But would a large-scale mission to Mordor involving one or even two wizards have drawn too much attention to itself and ultimately failed to reach Orodruin?

My head's spinning.....

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 18 2014, 8:50pm

Post #3 of 14 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Yes. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

yes
yes
yes
yes

and
yes

Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast, Alatar, and Palando, along with a coterie of comrades would stride into Mordor and teach Sauron the meaning of grief. Mad

A whole nother story methinks. Smile

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.
- JRRT
A dead dragon is not a big problem.
- BG

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 18 2014, 10:21pm

Post #4 of 14 (1108 views)
Shortcut
The world ends. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fellowship avoids Moria.

Peaceful diplomat Gandalf the Grey survives. (Buttkicking Gandalf the White is never born.)

The Fellowship never enters Lothorien.

Galadriel never returns to the West.

No orcs capture M&P at Amon Hen.

Frodo, Sam, and Merry head into Mordor.

No incident with the palantir so Pippin gets to go along.

Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, and Legolas head into Minas Tirith.

Gandalf and Saruman head off to guide the peoples of Middle-earth by encouragement and persuasion. (Yawn!)

No chase of the Three Hunters.

No Shadowfax.

No unrequited love for Eowyn.

Minas Tirith erupts in civil war between the Denethor/Boromir faction and the Aragorn /Faramir faction.

No Dernhelm at the Pelennor.

No Merry at the Pelennor.

The Witch King kills everybody at the Pelennor. And in Minas Tirith. And in Rohan. (No backstabbing hobbit to help Dernhelm break the spell.)

Meanwhile, back in Mordor, Pippin keeps throwing rocks into every pit, crevasse, and body of water they come across.

Eventually someon notices and the hobbits are taken prisoner.

Sauron gets the ring.

The world is covered in Darkness.

Saruman is kinda like Judas. Judas is The Great Betrayer, but without him there's no Crucifixion, no Resurrection, and no Kingdom of Heaven.

Saruman is the true sacrificial figure of The Lord of the Rings!

Ah, Tolkien, you sly old theologian you!

"Kai provseisi, kai avpeisi."
("There and back again.")
-Heraclitus of Ephesus, c. 500 BC

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19 2014, 1:06pm

Post #5 of 14 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel and Elrond stayed home, but were immensely helpful and effective. I think Saruman would have done the same. But the Quest wouldn't have been so dangerous if he had been true to Gandalf and their charge in Middle-earth. Gandalf would not have felt the hesitation to seek out Saruman and confide in him long before the Quest.

Yeah... had he been a good boy, he'd have been helpful and would have gone to the Havens.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 2:58pm

Post #6 of 14 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Lol..it's true..things will change... [In reply to] Can't Post

However, we are not really sure if other circumstances may force Gandalf still to enter Moria, or Lorien, who knows...what will happen in the future. I guess I'm curious whether or not things would have turned out for the better if Saruman had not betrayed...could they have destroyed the One Ring better and have less loss of lives all over?

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 19 2014, 3:12pm

Post #7 of 14 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Thing is, so much in the story hangs on Saruman's betrayal... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo and his friends leave the Shire alone because of Saruman's betrayal. That was the only reason Gandalf wasn't with them.

The Company went through Moria because Saruman's betrayal made the Gap of Rohan too dangerous to risk.

If it hadn't been for Saruman's betrayal Boromir would have lived. The Company wouldn't have been attacked, Pippin and Merry wouldn't have been taken,

Without Saruman's betrayal there would have been no Grima, no threat to Rohan. Theodred would have lived, Theoden wouldn't have come under Saruman's influence. Eomer would never have been king. The Company would probably not have gone to Rohan at all if it had been safe to go to Isengard. They certainly wouldn't have gone to Lorien.

Things might have turned out better - but I reckon it's more likely they'd have turned out a whole lot worse!

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 20 2014, 4:11am

Post #8 of 14 (1051 views)
Shortcut
The world survives. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good one, Darkstone! But perhaps ...

c. 2463 Deagol finds the Ring, Smeagol kills him and takes it, and in roughly 2470 he hides under the Misty Mountains. Also the White Council is formed.

Saruman is not corrupted. In 2851 he agrees with Gandalf that the White Council should attack Dol Guldur. They do, and Sauron is killed.

Gandalf has no reason to send Bilbo on the Quest of Erebor, since there is no Sauron to use the dragon to terrible effect. (Indeed, perhaps after the death of Sauron the Istari head back to Valinor.)

Gollum stays forever in his cave, obsessing over the Ring. The Ring never wants to leave him, since there's no Sauron to return to.

Not much of a story.

Kristin

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2014, 10:24am

Post #9 of 14 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Supposing [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman stayed good, but given his nature was still a stayed at Orthanc, but alarmed at Sauron's rising power could not resist building and army of his own. Maybe breeding an army of 'good,' Orcs, or at least so he would claim. Would Gandalf think this a wise way of opposing Sauron or would he think this a bit too close to the evil side?

Advising Elf
Rohan

Nov 20 2014, 8:44pm

Post #10 of 14 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a P.J. and Co. script seesion. [In reply to] Can't Post

*ducks*

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 9:20pm

Post #11 of 14 (1014 views)
Shortcut
And yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ring loses its power with the death of Sauron. Smeagol, now a more-or-less uncorrupted hobbit leaves his slimy isle of rock on the eastern side of the mountains, treads to the Shire, where he runs for Mayor of Michel Delving – and wins. And. . . soon, oh very soon – we have a Scoured Shire! MadMad

In Reply To
Gollum stays forever in his cave, obsessing over the Ring. The Ring never wants to leave him, since there's no Sauron to return to.

"You cannot pass!
You didn't say 'Simon says.'"

Only those in the know will know.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 6:36pm

Post #12 of 14 (1000 views)
Shortcut
'I was delayed' said Gandalf, 'and that nearly proved our ruin. And yet I am not sure: it may have been better so' [In reply to] Can't Post

(A quote from FOTR, Many Meetings). Hammon & Scully, in the Readers' Companion, discuss this, & then quote this:

it is part of the schema of The Lord of the Rings that what seems to be setbacks, blunders and delays, turn out to have been useful shortcuts; though I think Tolkien would have argued that, had they done otherwise, with good intention, that too might have led to the quest's end."
David Cremona, letter to Beyond Bree June 1991, p10, quoted in The Lord or the Rings, A Readers Companion by Hammond & Scull

So maybe, if Saruman had stayed true, that would somehow have worked out too....

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

squire
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 7:08pm

Post #13 of 14 (1000 views)
Shortcut
'Great service he could have rendered.' [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf after the confrontation at Orthanc at the end of 'The Two Towers':
"Then I gave him a last choice and a fair one: to renounce both Mordor and his private schemes, and make amends by helping us in our need. He knows our need, none better. Great service he could have rendered." (LotR III.10).
I've always wondered how seriously Tolkien wrote those lines. Did he actually game out a repentant Saruman, working in conjunction with Gandalf, Theoden, Aragorn and Denethor to save the West while Frodo completed his journey? We know from the notes in HoME that Tolkien worked long and hard at crafting the intricate plot of the second half of LotR, after the company separates. But I don't think I've ever seen any indication that Saruman was a potential good guy in Tolkien's mind, in any sense or at any time. After all he was invented to be a villain and a traitor who entrapped Gandalf (earlier solutions were Gandalf trapped in the Elf Towers west of the Shire, as seen in Frodo's dream at Crickhollow, and Gandalf trapped by the evil giant Treebeard). Why muddy the waters by repurposing the character at the expense of starting all over again on the question of why Gandalf was delayed during Frodo's first set of adventures?

Or is the line a throwaway in classic Gandalf style: wise-sounding but impenetrable?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 7:18pm

Post #14 of 14 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Great service - at Mount Doom, take 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo:
I have come. But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!

Saruman:
I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, but you have elected the way of pain. [Pushes Frodo into the lava]
[to camera] You did not seriously think that a hobbit could contend with the will of Sauron, there are none that can.

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Nov 21 2014, 7:24pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.