Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Extended edition spoilers: That last scene with Thrain REALLY upsets me

~Medieval Soul
The Shire

Nov 17 2014, 5:13am

Post #1 of 16 (2149 views)
Shortcut
Extended edition spoilers: That last scene with Thrain REALLY upsets me Can't Post

I'm sorry if this was discussed before. But the part when Thrain was killed by Sauron angers me. Why? Not the fact that he was killed, or how he was killed, but by the scream they gave him. Everytime I watch it, I'm on the verge of tears when Thrain asks Gandalf to tell his son that he loves him. But then I can't supress a laugh when he screams as he is pulled away. Why the Wilhelm scream??? That ruins this very sad scene for me. Anyone else feel the same?

(This post was edited by ~Medieval Soul on Nov 17 2014, 5:15am)

nusilver
Rohan

Nov 17 2014, 6:46am

Post #2 of 16 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Please just search for Wilhelm scream next time... [In reply to] Can't Post

All due respect to your opinion, but if I see another thread about the Wilhelm scream, I'm going to Wilhelm scream myself off a cliff. Crazy

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 17 2014, 9:12am

Post #3 of 16 (1301 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't bother me at all (sounds real enough to me). I don't like the scene though – too horrific.

Drakblod
Rivendell

Nov 17 2014, 2:25pm

Post #4 of 16 (1129 views)
Shortcut
The thing is.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I get that Jackson wanna pretend he's some great filmmaker and wants a Wilhelm Scream in every movie.. But isn't there already a scream in Laketown? I'm pretty sure. Or is it just in the TE, but not in the EE and that's why they gave it to Thrain?

Very bad idea in either case.

like butter scraped over too much bread.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 17 2014, 2:39pm

Post #5 of 16 (1126 views)
Shortcut
We really don't know what happens to him either. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is he kept in chains the rest of his life?
Killed at that point?

The film does not disclose vs what we know happens in the book. Maybe in BOFA when the Dol Guldur scenes are presented we will learn of his fate.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 17 2014, 2:40pm)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 17 2014, 2:51pm

Post #6 of 16 (1105 views)
Shortcut
it has been said [In reply to] Can't Post

That in the commentaries of the EE his death was confirmed?!Crazy

nhui06
Rivendell

Nov 17 2014, 6:16pm

Post #7 of 16 (985 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I am not a movie major or whatever, but I never understood the hate towards the 'scream'. Watched the DOS EE twice now, and the scream never stood out to me as anything bad as others have portrayed it to be. 1-2 seconds of someone in distress screaming... that'a all.

nusilver
Rohan

Nov 17 2014, 6:18pm

Post #8 of 16 (990 views)
Shortcut
death is confirmed in commentary. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Killed at that point?

The film does not disclose vs what we know happens in the book. Maybe in BOFA when the Dol Guldur scenes are presented we will learn of his fate.

Yes, he's dead, according to Pete and Phillipa.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 17 2014, 8:20pm

Post #9 of 16 (893 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Barrel_Rider
The Shire

Nov 17 2014, 10:46pm

Post #10 of 16 (862 views)
Shortcut
Yup I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It ruins the scene, and then they used again in Laketown lmao terrible terrible choice to use it.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 17 2014, 11:32pm

Post #11 of 16 (851 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't annoy me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Overall the Thrain stuff makes the EE so much better, that the Wilhelm can basically be ignored - it's not a bad Wilhelm, as far as they go - the actual sound would be completely fine if you didn't know it was the Wilhelm.

* crunch *

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 18 2014, 12:04am

Post #12 of 16 (835 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

???? wouldn't have even known to listen for it, and even when I did - *shrug*Unsure

Sir Antony Sher as Thrain is wonderful tho.HeartHeartHeart

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2014, 4:05am

Post #13 of 16 (794 views)
Shortcut
true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Killed at that point?

we never see Thrain dead. But its like the "black smoke monster" on Lost though.

The flames of war are upon you..

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 18 2014, 5:17am

Post #14 of 16 (797 views)
Shortcut
There was a weird emotional response when it happened... [In reply to] Can't Post

My girlfriend and I mutually experienced this. We initially laughed at the scream then suddenly stopped and realised how stupid and not funny it was. It was a sort-of 2 second "Hahah- ...oh dear" she kinda looked at me as if to say "Did that happen? ...Why did that happen?" I shrugged and we carried on. Very strange. Definitely pulls you out of the film. Frown

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Nov 18 2014, 5:20am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2014, 8:03am

Post #15 of 16 (779 views)
Shortcut
i really don't know what all the fuss is about [In reply to] Can't Post

honestly i didn't even hear it the first time, it doesn't ruin or distract from the scene in my opinion.

The flames of war are upon you..

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 18 2014, 12:06pm

Post #16 of 16 (773 views)
Shortcut
It is partially the fault of the viewer... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've basically trained myself to recognise the scream every single time I hear it, so I'm 50% to blame. But it's become such a well known and recognisable easter egg that it should only really be used subtly at the right times. I've never seen a film use it as obviously as this before and in such an emotional moment. It's very bizarre.

If it had been in the TE the entire internet would never let it go, that's for sure.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Nov 18 2014, 12:08pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.