The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Meeting the natives

elostirion74
Rohan

Mar 6 2008, 10:31pm

Post #1 of 22 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Meeting the natives Can't Post

Looking for suitable trees to stay in for the night, they find a cluster of trees, Legolas comments on the species of the trees, Mellyrn, and decides to climb up.

Pippin comments: “they will be marvellous trees indeed if they can offer any rest at night. I can’t sleep on a perch”, and the author explains how hobbits fear heights.

As soon as Legolas starts climbing a voice makes him drop back to the earth. Legolas starts conversing with the elves, explaining that the members of the Fellowship “breathe so loud that they could shoot you in the dark”. Sam hastily puts his hand over his mouth, Legolas tells the company that the elves ask him and Frodo to come up and the others to keep watch on the ground.

A ladder of rope is let down for Legolas and Frodo to climb up. Sam comes up behind trying not to breathe loudly. The hobbits reach a wooden platform, or flet, where they find Legolas seated with the other elves. The elves welcome them in their own elven language (that of the elves east of the mountains), before one of them switches to the Common Tongue, explaining that they seldom use it and seldom have dealings with other people, even kindred elves. Their spokesman is Haldir, who knows more of the Common Tongue than his brothers.

A. Movie-firsters: Did you remember the words about breathing loud from the movie when you read the book?

B. The rope is described as looking slender, silver-grey, glimmering, while the elves themselves are clad in shadowy-grey, not to be seen among the tree stems. How characteristic are these adjectives as descriptions of Elves and things elvish?

C. Apart from the immediate comedy, why does Tolkien have Sam trying not to breathe loudly?

D. Wouldn’t it be more polite of the elves to greet the hobbits in the Common Tongue?
Could it be possible that Haldir’s brothers, who know little of the Common Tongue,
would feel a bit awkward about this lack of “cultural competence” or do you suppose that
these Elves, or elves in general rise completely above such feelings, only thinking it
natural that they shouldn’t know any language besides the elvish?

E. Haldir belongs to the elves of the land going about to gather news or watch the movements of the enemy. What sort of social status do you imagine that these elves have in the centre of the realm of Lothlórien, since it is such a secluded culture? Do you believe there’s a difference to the pride they feel about their tasks compared to the border guards of say, Gondor?

The Elves tell them that they have had messengers from Elrond and are willing to help them, as Elrond asked, especially since they travel with an Elf. However they object to Gimli, a dwarf, being allowed to pass through their land. After a quick chat with Legolas they decide to allow Gimli coming on the condition that he will be walking blindfold through Lothlórien. They decide that the hobbits are staying with the Elves while the others must sleep in the tree next to this.

F. Do you find it curious that the Elves don’t trust Gimli when he is travelling in the company of Legolas and Aragorn, whom they trust fully?

Merry & Pippin clambers up on the flet out of breath and rather scared and bringing their blankets. They are offered supper, which they accept gladly, before they wrap themselves in blankets and fur-cloaks provided by the Elves. The flet has no rail or wall and only Sam finds it easy to fall asleep. Pippin goes on talking for a while and Sam comments drily,
“Once I do get to sleep, I shall go on sleeping, whether I roll off or no. The less said, the sooner I’ll drop off, if you take my meaning”.

G. Why is Sam always finding it easier than the other hobbits to fall asleep? What do you think of the exchange between Sam & Pippin? Why is Sam and not Merry or Frodo the one who tells Pippin to keep his mouth shut?

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 6 2008, 11:01pm

Post #2 of 22 (1319 views)
Shortcut
'Hobbits!' he thought. 'Well, what next?' [In reply to] Can't Post

'I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors up a tree. Four of them! There's something mighty queer behind this.' He was quite right, but he never found out any more about it because Haldir shot him for breakfast.

B. The rope is described as looking slender, silver-grey, glimmering, while the elves themselves are clad in shadowy-grey, not to be seen among the tree stems. How characteristic are these adjectives as descriptions of Elves and things elvish?

Don’t forget grey eyes.

C. Apart from the immediate comedy, why does Tolkien have Sam trying not to breathe loudly?

He doesn’t like heights. He’s scared spitless. He doesn’t want to hyperventilate. But he especially doesn’t want to show fear.

D. Wouldn’t it be more polite of the elves to greet the hobbits in the Common Tongue?

Do they know hobbits know the Common Tongue?

Could it be possible that Haldir’s brothers, who know little of the Common Tongue, would feel a bit awkward about this lack of “cultural competence” or do you suppose that these Elves, or elves in general rise completely above such feelings, only thinking it natural that they shouldn’t know any language besides the elvish?

In other words, “Are they just plain rude?” Nah. They probably don’t know Common. Why would they? They’re here to fight orcs. They might know some snippets of Black Speech, like “Hands up!” or “Sauron's a weenie!!" or “Die you filthy &$*%&@s!!”

E. Haldir belongs to the elves of the land going about to gather news or watch the movements of the enemy. What sort of social status do you imagine that these elves have in the centre of the realm of Lothlórien, since it is such a secluded culture?

“The name’s Haldir. James Haldir. And I like my miruvor shaken, not stirred.”

Do you believe there’s a difference to the pride they feel about their tasks compared to the border guards of say, Gondor?

If you do the job right no one knows you’re doing it.

F. Do you find it curious that the Elves don’t trust Gimli when he is travelling in the company of Legolas and Aragorn, whom they trust fully?

It’s not that they don’t trust him, they’re just giving The Dwarf a hard time. Really, is Gimli going to make note of strategic installations and troop deployments? Nah, the Elves are just being jerks.

Merry & Pippin clambers up on the flet out of breath and rather scared…

See. Sam is trying to put on a brave show.

Why is Sam always finding it easier than the other hobbits to fall asleep?

He’s the most tired. He’s the one carrying the biggest backpack. He's the one carrying all the weight.

What do you think of the exchange between Sam & Pippin?

Definitely a lot different from that morning on the road in the Shire:

“’’What's beautiful about it?' said Pippin, peering over the edge of his blanket with one eye. 'Sam! Gel breakfast ready for half-past nine! Have you got the bath-water hot?'
Sam jumped up, looking rather bleary. 'No, sir, I haven't, sir!' he said.”

Why is Sam and not Merry or Frodo the one who tells Pippin to keep his mouth shut?

Cause Sam’s the one trying to get some sleep. Frodo and Merry are probably whispering to each other about their situation.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

squire
Half-elven

Mar 7 2008, 12:18am

Post #3 of 22 (1354 views)
Shortcut
Halt! Who Goes There? [In reply to] Can't Post

E. Haldir belongs to the elves of the land going about to gather news or watch the movements of the enemy. What sort of social status do you imagine that these elves have in the centre of the realm of Lothlórien, since it is such a secluded culture? Do you believe there’s a difference to the pride they feel about their tasks compared to the border guards of say, Gondor?

I couldn't speculate on Haldir's status in Caras Galadhon -- I don't think we get enough info on the culture of Lothlorien to do so.

But your question does make me realize how important the role of border guards is in The Lord of the Rings. Haldir and his brothers are first cousins to the Bounders of the Shire, the Rangers of Eriador and Ithilien, and the gate-wardens of Edoras and the Rammas of Gondor. Some lesser but significant recurrences of this role are played by Harry of the Gate of Bree; the First Eastfarthing Troop guarding the gates of the Brandywine bridge under Sharkey's rule; Gamling at Helm's Deep; and (in a comic variation!) Merry and Pippin as the Door Wardens of Isengard under Treebeard's administration. The gate of Moria takes care of itself, but notice that it too asks strangers to identify themselves -- while the Watcher in the Water does not (and neither does the door to Denethor's citadel, which opens "though no one could be seen to open it"). Maggot's dogs are his border guards, on a smaller scale than "realm"; and Bombadil's interception of the hobbits is informal, but "we were waiting for you" he says, and he guides them into (and out of) his "little land". In Book III Eomer and his troop are not stationary border guards, but they certainly intercept the Three Walkers as part of a mission to guard the boundaries of the Mark, and Eomer performs an interrogation that precedes the more formal one they receive at Edoras (which famously echoes the one in Beowulf). Most of Book IV is one long interaction between Frodo and the boundary-wardens of Gondor and Mordor: Not just Captain Faramir, but the orcs of Cirith Ungol, the Silent Watchers, and Shelob are all "Gate Wardens" too!

The only realm that does not have any kind of entry interview is Rivendell.

I wonder what it all means? The heroes of the story pass from realm to realm on their quest, and even on their return. Each time they are more or less formally greeted and interrogated at the borders - or at the gates. These moments seem to act as markers of passage, and as reminders to the reader that Middle-earth is unsafe and torn by jealousies, even among the people counted as "good" or "Free". On another level, they serve the author as a means to introduce new lands and peoples, and tell the reader that another stage in the journey has been reached. Tolkien is a formalist of the first water, and this device also serves his need to establish and vary rhythmic story-patterns that satisfy because they are both familiar and different each time.

So Haldir is not just Haldir, he is a member of a noble and valued profession in Middle-earth, not to mention in Tolkien's conception of what makes for good storytelling. I don't know if the Elves back in the heart of the realm appreciate that!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 7 2008, 6:46am

Post #4 of 22 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Elves are stealthy [In reply to] Can't Post

Grey in this case I think means blending in with surroundings. It's also night, and everything looks gray at night (our color-sensing cells need more light to see color). In any case, this means that the Elves are not easily seen. This need not be the case in Caras Galadhon.

D. Wouldn’t it be more polite of the elves to greet the hobbits in the Common Tongue? Could it be possible that Haldir’s brothers, who know little of the Common Tongue, would feel a bit awkward about this lack of “cultural competence” or do you suppose that these Elves, or elves in general rise completely above such feelings, only thinking it natural that they shouldn’t know any language besides the elvish?

The guards at the Meduseld address Gandalf et al in Rohirric...

Legolas is the first person to be introduced to the guards, so they're speaking to him. He is their spokesperson. SO they speak Elvish. Besides, the Hobbits should know Elvish by now, shouldn't they?

I think it's a combination of several things.

Not sure - we really don't know what Haldir and company's positions are. We really know nothing about them. Apparently, they do not go home during certain times of the day. Do their wives live out with them, or back in Caras Galadhon? Etc.

It seems to be a kneejerk reaction, which is odd, since the animosities between Elf and Dwarf were a long time ago, and the two kindreds have fought together against evil several times since then.

Once a paleontologist, now a botanist, will be a paleobotanist

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 7 2008, 2:58pm

Post #5 of 22 (1295 views)
Shortcut
It's straight out of Beowulf! // [In reply to] Can't Post

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 7 2008, 4:11pm

Post #6 of 22 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Have your passport ready for inspection... [In reply to] Can't Post

A. Movie-firsters: Did you remember the words about breathing loud from the movie when you read the book?

Answering as a book-firster, I did remember the words from the book, and was amused that they'd been transferred to Gimli from Sam!

The glimmering silver-grey is a manifestation of their twilight natures - it's very much their colour.

Sam doesn't want to look like a clumsy bumpkin to the Elves. He's got his pride! And he may be a bit worried about those arrows, and the Elves' ability to shoot in the dark...

Could it be possible that Haldir’s brothers, who know little of the Common Tongue,
would feel a bit awkward about this lack of “cultural competence” or do you suppose that
these Elves, or elves in general rise completely above such feelings, only thinking it

The Elves are like the British (and Americans). As far as they're concerned, they already speak the only language that matters. Let everyone else figure out how to talk to them! It's sometimes called insularity... And anyway, they're not there to be polite. They're Customs and Immigration. Intimidation is the name of the game, until they know for sure that you're a harmless tourist.

I imagine that guarding the borders of a realm the size of Lothlorien would involve making a lot of decisions about where to patrol, and taking decisions about when to hide and when to give chase etc., without being able to refer back to headquarters. It's not like standing at the door of Meduseld, say, and waiting for visitors to arrive. Since there are no obvious points of entry to the woods, it's more like being a coast-guard than an ordinary border-guard.

They're just being officious, because they don't like Dwarves. Dwarves are stiff-necked, in Elves' view, so giving Gimli a hard time is doing him a favour, right? Just teaching him a little humility. (And Aragorn's decision that they will all share the humiliation of the blindfold shows his own wisdom and lack of pride. Frodo will do the same thing later when Faramir insists that Gollum wear a blindfold.)

G. Why is Sam always finding it easier than the other hobbits to fall asleep? What do you think of the exchange between Sam & Pippin? Why is Sam and not Merry or Frodo the one who tells Pippin to keep his mouth shut?

Sam seems to be adjusting to Elves better than Merry and Pippin - and he's now the well-seasoned "ordinary soldier" who can sleep anywhere. There have been a few little exchanges between Sam and Pippin over the course of the trip (another one I like is during the warg attack). They have a lot in common, being the lower-status members of the four hobbits, and it's not the first time they've shared a humorous moment, as Darkstone points out, although the first time Sam was still green enough to fall for the joke, and now he's the one making it!

glimmered and was lost.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 7 2008, 5:52pm

Post #7 of 22 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Border Issues [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

A. Movie-firsters: Did you remember the words about breathing loud from the movie when you read the book? n/a

It adds to their mystery, that they can fade into the mists. (Curiously, when I dream of elves, I often cannot see them directly, but only as blurred gray glimpses from the corner of my eye. It might be some archetypal thing, about them being a Hidden People.)

C. Apart from the immediate comedy, why does Tolkien have Sam trying not to breathe loudly? Sam pays attention to everything, even little details like that. And I notice that once again Sam follows Frodo where he himself has not been invited! Good for him!

Oh boy, now there you strike a nerve! (And talk about Tolkien's applicability--I can immediately relate from a cultural standpoint, and he probably never even heard of my culture!)

Whose language gets acknowledged or slighted signals major power plays. Or, as philologists like to say, "A dialect is a language without an army." When people make the choice not to learn a language that would make their lives more convenient if they did know it, they make a statement declaring that the language belongs to their inferiors and is not worth learning. Border-guards ought to know the Common tongue, and the fact that only one knows it, and that only haltingly, says volumes--especially when you consider that immortal elves have all the time in the world to learn anything they please. (I could speak volumes about personal experience, but that would sidetrack the discussion in an unfortunate direction.)

As for rudeness, a certain Miss Manners column comes to mind. A "gentle reader" wrote in complaining of strangers who speak non-English in American public places. Miss Manners inquired as to why the reader felt offended at these strangers foiling her attempts to eavesdrop. So no, speaking elvish among themselves was not rude in itself. But not bothering to learn the language common outside their borders, when their job description included interacting at need with that outside world, does qualify as rude.

I see much of this chapter as Tolkien balancing his previously radiant portrayal of elves with a more realistic perspective. They, too, are fallible creatures, tempted by pride and prejudice. Even Aragorn, raised by elves and aspiring to marry one, finally gets ticked off at Legolas resisting solidarity with Gimli in wearing a blindfold.

I expect that the secluded culture would value their border-guards even more, toasting them as the "Thin Grey Line" that keeps them all safe. That doesn't necessarily mean that they would hesitate to cut their funding, nor that they would invite them to dinner parties, but they would, in theory, be respected.

The Elves tell them that they have had messengers from Elrond and are willing to help them, as Elrond asked, especially since they travel with an Elf. However they object to Gimli, a dwarf, being allowed to pass through their land. After a quick chat with Legolas they decide to allow Gimli coming on the condition that he will be walking blindfold through Lothlórien. They decide that the hobbits are staying with the Elves while the others must sleep in the tree next to this.

At the risk of irony, I find it all too "human". Prejudice has nothing to do with logic. It is a cultural neurosis.

Merry & Pippin clambers up on the flet out of breath and rather scared and bringing their blankets. They are offered supper, which they accept gladly, before they wrap themselves in blankets and fur-cloaks provided by the Elves. The flet has no rail or wall and only Sam finds it easy to fall asleep. Pippin goes on talking for a while and Sam comments drily,
“Once I do get to sleep, I shall go on sleeping, whether I roll off or no. The less said, the sooner I’ll drop off, if you take my meaning”.

G. Why is Sam always finding it easier than the other hobbits to fall asleep? What do you think of the exchange between Sam & Pippin? Why is Sam and not Merry or Frodo the one who tells Pippin to keep his mouth shut? I feel delighted to see how far Sam has come since this very junior member of the company could boss him around and he'd jump up and say, "Yes sir!" Sam puts Pippin in his place because we need to see him do that. Pippin starts out a spoiled rich kid, who grows up into someone who earns the right to respect. Sam starts out a brow-beaten servant (not beaten down by his employers, but by his father who wanted to keep him in his place) who grows into a leader. Lorien is where everything starts to shift. All things have their flip side--Lorien preserves all within its borders from change, yet none can enter from outside without becoming changed by passing through. As for falling asleep, I agree with the earlier assessment that Sam hauls more weight and works harder.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 7 2008, 6:56pm

Post #8 of 22 (1299 views)
Shortcut
O! Tra-la-la-la-lally! [In reply to] Can't Post

The only realm that does not have any kind of entry interview is Rivendell.

In The Hobbit the elves greet visitors, and question them, in both directions, by song. "'O! What are you doing, And where are you going?'" the elves sing when Bilbo first sees Rivendell. "'O! What are you seeking, And where are you making?'" "'O! Where are you going With beards all a-wagging?'" "'O! Will you be staying, Or will you be flying?'"

And then, on the way back from the Lonely Mountain, the elves sing again: "'O! Where are you going, So late in returning?'" "'O! Whither so laden So sad and so dreary?'" Of course this time they seem to know most of the story already, since they start off with "'The dragon is withered, His bones are now crumbled; His armour is shivered, His splendour is humbled!'"

I think we just miss the Rivendell border guards in FotR, since Frodo is not conscious. After all, if we had border guards for a bunch of dwarves and a hobbit, wouldn't they have far more border guards when the Nazgul are threatening the borders?

squire
Half-elven

Mar 7 2008, 10:59pm

Post #9 of 22 (1285 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

You might think that Rivendell has border guards in LotR, but the fact remains that Tolkien structured his story in such a way that we not only do not meet them, we never hear of them. "We just miss" them doesn't make sense in a book where we don't "just miss" them in a dozen other passages from land to land.

Of course this may have something to do with the fact that Rivendell is the only place that is visited in both books, and Tolkien just dropped back into Hobbit mode when he wrote the LotR Rivendell scenes: i.e., in LotR Rivendell is not "strange" to the reader and so needs no "introduction", or introductory interview the way all the other locations do that I named.

Those ridiculous singing elves are not at all border guards in the sense I was talking about, and why should they be? It's The Hobbit, not LotR. The books are not the same story, and in many ways their universe (called Middle-earth in LotR) is not the same. The Hobbit has a rather different and simpler approach to staging its sequential visits: Bilbo and the dwarves repeatedly cross a threshold or appear in a doorway to mark or announce their various entrances.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 7 2008, 11:22pm

Post #10 of 22 (1271 views)
Shortcut
That's a major disappointment [In reply to] Can't Post

in History of The Hobbit: Tolkien never got that far when "rewriting" the book! And I so wanted to see whether he kept the "tra-la-lally"s!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 8 2008, 12:34am

Post #11 of 22 (1267 views)
Shortcut
They do have Glorfindel with them. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Glorfindel was already looking for them when he found them and then guided them to Rivendell. Perhaps Gildor is Rivendell's border guard, or perhaps Glorfindel is, at least as much as Bombadil or Treebeard are.

7ofEowyn
The Shire

Mar 8 2008, 3:05am

Post #12 of 22 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Echoing FFH & Dreamdeer a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor Sam. He was the one singled out and now was trying to “behave more properly”. Seems like another example of fleshing out characters w/ the added bonus of comedic lightening to a tense moment. Hmmm … hadn’t thought of it before but maybe the elves and/or Legolas were actually trying to decrease the sense of animosity that their meeting had already engendered. I tend to lean more toward my first impressions though.

D. Wouldn’t it be more polite of the elves to greet the hobbits in the Common Tongue? Could it be possible that Haldir’s brothers, who know little of the Common Tongue, would feel a bit awkward about this lack of “cultural competence” or do you suppose that these Elves, or elves in general rise completely above such feelings, only thinking it natural that they shouldn’t know any language besides the elvish?

Don’t know that any sense of “cultural competence” or “feeling awkward” would be felt by the elves. Nor is it necessarily a sense of pride or being impolite, nor simply being “above such feelings”. It’s likely not having any indication that there is any need for such ability. This is a rather self-secluded group here. Closed borders, no real contact with other races. They have not previously seen the need to learn the language of “outsiders”. Nor do they anticipate any future where there would be enough frequent verbal intercourse with outsiders on an individual basis. As long as there is enough ability to stop & hold outsiders until another with greater authority comes along who can speak with them, what’s the point in laying out all that energy for learning a language you’ll never use.

I, also, was quick to note how similar this is to the American outlook. There is a general sense that learning another language is a waste of effort. I wasn’t aware if this was also true for England of today much less of Tolkien’s time.

In regards to feeling “awkward about this lack of ‘cultural competence’”, that I feel I might address. Until I was around someone who had command of multiple languages & freely conversed with others, I had no idea I was missing anything. Realization of incompetence is rather humbling & embarrassing. Not only for my lack of skill but for my lack of ablity to communicate the presence of a deficit to my fellow countrymen. <still can't speak another language eitherCrazy>

“Social status in the group” & “pride in their tasks” … Taking excessive pride in the task or in being assigned to the task seems unlikely as all elves seem to be represented as minimally affected by such. As to social status among their own, this also seems an unlikely thing to be affected by their assignments.

For those who’ve lived outside their native culture (say between higher tech and lower tech or Eastern & Western cultures) the following may be a familiar experience: You leave to live in & learn about this other place. You return home and for a few weeks people are interested (if you’re really lucky, a whole month!). Then you slip back into the routine, barely make a ripple. Your friends know you look at things a little odd at times but other than that, it’s all the same. I figure this is about how the other elves thought (or didn’t think?) about these elves.

Even though the origin of the distrust of dwarves is “so long ago”, the memories and the racial tensions are still there. The hobbits are more of an annoyance than a worry. Let the dwarf-lovers take care of the dwarf. Okay … maybe not that nasty but somewhere along those lines. Legolas hasn’t really shown a huge liking for Gimli yet. That develops only after some time under less stressful circumstances. The elves need more than a few moments to stop the mistrust held for so many years. That quick kind of change-the-mind-after-hearing-a-single-sentence thing only happens in the movies. Wink

“I’ve been told I’m a bumbling, loud breather. I’ve climbed a bit higher than a hobbit should ever be … only worse thing would be gettin’ in a boat. I’ve been feeling unsafe for days. Gandalf is gone. Thought Frodo was dead for a while, too. My head is still killing me and no decent supper, tea or elevensies looking up anytime soon. And that Pippin just won’t shut his yap. Well, at least I can do something about that!”

Pippin was safe for Sam to snap at. Plenty of patients & family members have done the same to me for no other reason. He could sleep more easily because of added exhaustion of trying to heal from an injury. Tolkien took time to point out that it was unusual that Frodo would be awake more than the others.

--- "I can fight" ---

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 8 2008, 7:44am

Post #13 of 22 (1248 views)
Shortcut
The Bruinen [In reply to] Can't Post

seems to be the border guard of Rivendell in LotR.

glimmered and was lost.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 8 2008, 3:41pm

Post #14 of 22 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Silly Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
in History of The Hobbit: Tolkien never got that far when "rewriting" the book! And I so wanted to see whether he kept the "tra-la-lally"s!

It took me awhile to reconcile the "Hobbit" elves and the "Lord of the Rings" elves as being the same, but I finally realized that if you're immortal, sooner or later you're going to try on every possible mood, including silly. Indeed, I think if elves didn't go on occasional silliness-sprees they would go mad with so much to think about! Besides, after the first couple centuries, inhibitions and pretentions just get to be too much trouble to maintain all the time. I like to think of what Galadriel might be like in a goofy mood.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

elostirion74
Rohan

Mar 9 2008, 11:34am

Post #15 of 22 (1232 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Elves are like the British (and Americans). As far as they're concerned, they already speak the only language that matters. Let everyone else figure out how to talk to them! It's sometimes called insularity... And anyway, they're not there to be polite. They're Customs and Immigration".

Well said, but the elvish language spoken by the Galadhrim cannot be expected to be known even among Men, who would be more likely to know Sindarin. I must admit that I do expect Customs and Immigration to adress tourists/strangers in a common language (English in the Primary World) rather than their own, but our times are different from Tolkien's of course.

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 10 2008, 12:03pm

Post #16 of 22 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Haldir as threshold guardian [In reply to] Can't Post

The border to Lorien (and Lorien itself) is a liminal space, and Haldir is a threshold guardian. As you say, they abound in LOTR. We talked a little bit about this back in The House of Tom B (as close to Lorien as a "space" as there is in LOTR, in my opinion, even closer than Rivendell!)

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Good night, little girls, thank the Lord you are well!
Now go to sleep" said Miss Clavel.
And she turned out the light and shut the door,
And that's all there is. There isn't any more.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Mar 10 2008, 6:21pm

Post #17 of 22 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Foreign Languages [In reply to] Can't Post

B I think it's grey because grey is a natural color & it makes the Elves hard to see. Grey is 'shadowy', like dusk & works well for this purpose. I'm reminded of 'The Passing of the Grey Company' - I seem to always think that they that they arrive in the night too....

C. Because Sam is a black & white, literal type of guy: "It's plain as a
pikestaff, but it's no use Sam Gamgee sticking his nose in right now" (whatever) as he says one time, I think about the time when the Fellowship is deciding where to go at the end of FOTR.

D. I think this is reading a bit too much into things. Think about how you feel when a foreigner comes in YOUR country....
Do you feel like you owe it to them to speak their language? No, it's not your responsibility to speak everyone else's native tongues.

E. I would suspect that Haldir (despite the movie's depiction) has a very small inportance in the military structure of Lothlorion, somewhat moreso than a border guard in Gondor, but only so because of the smaller military structure of Lothlorien compared to Gondor.

F. I don't find it strange that the Elves don't trust Gimli because they 'have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days'. & due to the fact that their lord, Celeborn, distrusts them so & these Elves are simply extensions of his will.

G. Sam is more tired than the rest. Some people get more exhausted than others & Sam is one of them. These people can fall asleep anywhere, anytime (I know, lol). As Sam is this type, he, not others, wants Pippin to shut up so he can go to sleep. It would make no sense for Merry or Frodo to tell Pippin to shut up since they aren't as tired as Sam.

elostirion74
Rohan

Mar 11 2008, 6:26am

Post #18 of 22 (1225 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for responding. As to D:

Yes, I'm frequently reading too much into things, I'm too fond of speculating. But since the Hobbits are speaking the Common Tongue, not some weird dialect, I would expect the border guards of any country to use this language first when dealing with strangers. Newcomers to my country (or any other country by the way) wouldn't usually be speaking a common tongue if they use their own language, unless their native language is English.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Mar 11 2008, 1:38pm

Post #19 of 22 (1232 views)
Shortcut
True Usually [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a good point you make & Haldir does speak the Common tongue or Legolas' tongue (duh & I just read that part to my son last night).....

Yes, he speaks to Frodo: "The Hobbits will stay here with us - We do not fear them!"

I think the reason the border guards do not bother to all learn the common speech is because they are guaring the borders FROM strangers, not to welcome strangers......

It's almost completely to defend Lothlorien from unwelcome intruders, not to find surprise friends. They haven't even seen a Mirkwood Elf in 'Ages'.....

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 7:37am

Post #20 of 22 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Don’t forget Ingold. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf and Pippin pass several guardians as they approach Denethor: Ingold at the Rammas Echor, the troops who acclaim his arrival at the city’s main gate, and the unseen figures you identify.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 16-22 for a free discussion on the entire book.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 7:37am

Post #21 of 22 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Should the hobbits understand Elvish? [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, the Hobbits should know Elvish by now, shouldn't they?

They might have picked up some Elvish in their two months in Rivendell, but could hardly be expected to be conversant after so short a time. Also see the appendices, where Tolkien explains Frodo’s difficulties with the Elvish of Lothlórien: it is Sindarin with a Nandorin influence.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 22 2009, 7:38am

Post #22 of 22 (1171 views)
Shortcut
No “obvious points of entry”? [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently this is a likely point, there being an old road that runs along the Silverlode.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.