Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What was the last book you started, but didn't finish?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2014, 9:26am

Post #51 of 67 (316 views)
Shortcut
Sam with a back pack, pots and a tie-died silk scarf—Rotlf [In reply to] Can't Post

Your idea is a good one. I did just that tonight. I had a long scarf in my bag when I went to see Billy Elliott, a filmed stage musical — awesome, btw, highly recommend it if it comes your way — The theater was cold as a walk-in refrigerator. I thanked my scarf… and my blankets, and my sweaters… I'm notorious for getting cold in movies—the air conditioning never gets adjusted her, even when it gets a bit cooler outside.

I'll look up the hand warmers idea. That's good, too.

Thanks you guys!

Aloha
DoN

Art Gallery Revised, Meaning of Aloha, What does Aloha mean, Websites Directory

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2014, 9:38am

Post #52 of 67 (306 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good to see all the familiar names.

Been baby-sitting my grandson the last four years.

It was he that I tripped over when he darted out in front of me, I hit a pillar with the top of my head—ricocheted back, whip plashing— then hit the back of my head on the pavement when I landed on my back. It was really a freak accident. I feel extraordinarily fortunate. It could easily have been lot worse. And I have the best PT guy in the world.

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 19 2014, 1:51pm

Post #53 of 67 (305 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds awful, and very glad to hear you are recovering well - even if it feels much too slow, I'm sure. I hope you continue swiftly on to a full recovery.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Nuradar
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 2:38pm

Post #54 of 67 (317 views)
Shortcut
there is only one book I could not finish... [In reply to] Can't Post

and that is Don Quixote.

I've tried to finish it - three times. Each time, I could not get past the ridiculousness of it all. And Sancho Panza is such a moron to follow the clearly mentally ill Don Quixote.

Maybe it turns out in the end and Sancho is not so dumb after all, and maybe Don Quixote isn't mentally ill. But I doubt I'll ever know, because I can't imagine myself ever finishing that long silly story. It was even more painful than the Silmarillion. :)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2014, 4:09pm

Post #55 of 67 (302 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I should say I haven't finished it *yet*. I had it downloaded on my phone so I'd have something to read in the car, waiting rooms, etc., but then my husband made me get a new phone and also deleted that app. I was about halfway through. Maybe I'll figure out how to get it back, or just pick up a paperback and keep it in the car.

Where's Frodo?

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 19 2014, 6:15pm

Post #56 of 67 (296 views)
Shortcut
Great to see you here again, DoN! [In reply to] Can't Post

So sorry to hear about your neck. How awful! Hope your recovery continues to go well.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2014, 6:29pm

Post #57 of 67 (293 views)
Shortcut
Make that three for "A Casual Vacancy" [In reply to] Can't Post

I got at least two chapters into it and couldn't go on. Just too much misery--for the characters as well as myself. Tongue

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2014, 8:01pm

Post #58 of 67 (288 views)
Shortcut
Aloha Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you!

How's it going with you… you still a "neighbor"?

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2014, 8:29pm

Post #59 of 67 (283 views)
Shortcut
thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes is seems speedy and other times not and some days I despair I'll have certain issues the rest of my life. Then I recall the stories that my PT guy told me—the best PT guy on the planet—of other patients with even worse neck fractures living full lives and I get inspired to do those dreaded exercises 2–3 time a day.

Actually not so dreaded. I enjoy doing them most days just hate getting started. LoL! I've never been good at regular exercise. So I have to fight my own nature.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2014, 8:40pm

Post #60 of 67 (283 views)
Shortcut
Know what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

When I do them only once a day, I barely keep from reverting back to when I first took off he neck brace. Very bad plea to be. That's why I make sure I do them first thing in the morning and always before bed. If not. I am worse the next day. I try to fit in little ROM stretches in between.

I use a hot pad called a Bed Buddy—I love my Bed Buddy—that I heat in the micro. Heating the muscles first works so much better. And heat afterward, too.

How long ago did you injure you hip? And how's your recovery going? Sorry to hear you had that injury.

DoN

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2014, 11:02pm

Post #61 of 67 (285 views)
Shortcut
I injured it first in March, then again in August. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only walking when it happened. If I'd done it while rock-climbing or jumping a motorbike over a canyon, fine - but walking?? Seems a bit mean for the body to give out when doing something so simple.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Immortal

Nov 20 2014, 1:30am

Post #62 of 67 (267 views)
Shortcut
I broke my foot last year getting out of bed [In reply to] Can't Post

and felt so stupid about it I almost kissed the stranger who, when he saw me on crutches with a moonboot on, said "don't tell me: you were hang-gliding in Antarctica!"

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2014, 1:34am

Post #63 of 67 (276 views)
Shortcut
:D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 4:47pm

Post #64 of 67 (241 views)
Shortcut
Outlander [In reply to] Can't Post

I've made it to the Witch trial, but then a new semester started. I will finish it, however, during Christmas break.

Now, ask me how many books I've bought but haven't gotten around to reading? I don't even know the answer to that one.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 28 2014, 6:55pm

Post #65 of 67 (253 views)
Shortcut
Always finish, even if I have to do a little skim here & there...// [In reply to] Can't Post

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 11 2014, 10:53pm

Post #66 of 67 (223 views)
Shortcut
The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson [In reply to] Can't Post

This is sad because I have enjoyed much of Sanderson's work and his heroic finishing job on The Wheel of Time...truly a feat. But, this book just never got going for me and since it is a planned loooong series, I decided not to invest more time in it...ala Wheel of Time. I debated finishing it if the reviews for the second book "Words of Radiance" were better....don't get me wrong, both books have very favorable reviews...but I read the * , **, *** star reviews too and many express my opinion.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 11 2014, 11:14pm

Post #67 of 67 (244 views)
Shortcut
The first time I tried to read the Silmarillion (age 18) I [In reply to] Can't Post

found it to dry and biblical. Years later, I read it through and enjoyed it, having the perspective that familiarity with the LOTR and HOM series brought together. I skim the HOM books that I have as quite a bit is focused on arcana but there are sections that illuminate the works.

The other book that I have tried to finish at least 4x was Shardik by Richard Adams ....the last time I was about 60% through and set it down...but never came back to it.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 11 2014, 11:16pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.